1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with GPU/CPU possibly (ended up being loose monitor cable)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bbiagllla, May 14, 2012.

1. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

dOk i have been up all afternoon trying to troubleshoot this down. Starting yesterday I started getting a bottom screen flicker. in this case it was projecting the top of the screen at the bottom. This wasnt a big deal. about four hours goes by and it turns into a screen flicker with the occasional lines. I turn the computer of to go to bed by shutting it down. when it goes to the windows blue screen and says shutting down. the screen goes a bit white and it gets all distorted.

Today I ran a full malware bytes and spywared doctor in safe mode without networking. malware found one item which i promptly deleted. some applicationsetup and spyware found nothing. i restart and bam screen flicker but worse today so far. the screen is dancing around like a school girl. It's got gray lines alot of them. sometimes white lines. In either case the flickering is followed with my mouse cursor barely moving. like a turtle but slower. sometimes i can tell the lines are getting worse and worse then it freezes for a second or two and the mouse can move half normal again. two seconds later the mouse slowly slows down and the lines build up and repeats. sometimes its the dancing around. sometimes its just bottom screen flicker. This happens in nromal mode, safe mode and even on the bios screen where i can choose to select which safe mode i want. It also flickers when i first boot up and the asus icon is showing right before it dissapears and i can hit F8 for safe mode options. I was getting the whit screen soon as ihit the power button to power up even before the asus logo. also the asus logo was duplicated on screen. on on top and one on bottomish. I guess teh asus logo is like a dell, hp, or other logo right before windows starts up.

I have uninstalled the nvidia drivers manually and then ran drive sweeper then booted to safe mode repeated those two actions and installed the newest up to date driver on asus and nvidia's website. One time this worked from what i can tell perfectly until i rebooted and it came back. tried uninstall and reinstall and nothing changed.

I did a system restore preivous to sunday because i thought the windows update i recieved yesterday was the cause. nothing changed. I am watching my temperatures. CPU's 1-4 are roughly about 40-50 max of 49ish. GPU is 50-57 max of 58 all idle with minimal web surfing.

i checked the perfmorance report under admin tool and no spikes. I checked the resource monitor under admin tools and the cpu is low so all i good but the drive is spiked to the top. i disabled my aero background and went with a stationary one. nothing changed.

I have been viewing the error report under admin tools. these are the ones that keep repeating between yesterday and today.
    1) (A)these are critical: kernel power source "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." This is after a normal shutdown by selcting the button from the start menu. there are 17 of these.
    (B)55+ caip2 errors "Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file."
    2) there are 7000 service control manager errors "The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The dependency service or group failed to start."
    3) 7 LMS warnings "LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver"
    4) 11 AFBAgent information "The description for Event ID 0 from source AFBAgent cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Service started"
    5) 15 event log information "The event logging service has shut down."

in control panel under advanced tools there were three items at the top of a screen. one of th items when i clicked on it said. nvidia kernel driver (nvkddmk.sys)was causing the computer to come out of sleep/hibernate mode and slowing the computer down. i seen these after rebooting the computer. i forget what the other two where. here is the actual driver status "nvlddmkm nvlddmkm c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys Kernel Driver started:No stat mode:Manual state:Stopped status:OK error control:Ignore accepted pause:No accepted stop:No"

I have also been running this laptop in turbomode since i got it. never had any signs of stress or slowing down. i turned this off and set the display(fn + spacebar) to battery saving. nothing changed.

I checked the a/c cord and changed outlets in case that was the problem. nothing changed.

I plugged a monitor in and the screen still flickerd on the laptop but the monitor was perfect and readable no flickering.

I feel like i have exhausted my possibilities and I am coming to you guys for help. I am going to log back on in normal mode and see if anything has changed. Il post my specs tomorrow i gotta get to bed.

I have asus ROG-a3b2z g73jw series
    Windows 7 home premium 64 bit service pack 1
    Intel core i7-740qm Q 40 @ 1.73ghz (8 processors listed under device manager all the same
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460m cuda 1.5gb
    16 gb memory (15.9gb total physical, 13 gb available physical, 31.8 total virtual, 28.9 availabl virtual, and 15.9 gb page filing space)
    acpi x64 based pc
    display driver version: Driver Version 8.17.12.9610

my computer's performace ratings are as follows:
    processor 7.1
    memory 7.5
    graphics 7.0
    gaming graphics 7.0
    primary hard disk 5.9 disk data transfer rate

performance settings are adjust for best performace
    virtual memory setto system manages size and auto turned off

my touchpad mouse go crazy sometimes on its on before this problem and still now. freezes. jumps from one side to other.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another monitor to see if problem still shows or not which i think it will show. does your motherboard have onboard video besides having a videocard because if it does then try the onboard video to see if problem disappears which i think it will?

3. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

It is also possible to have a bad ribbon cable between the laptop screen and the laptop or possibly the cable is loose on one of the connectors on either end.

4. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

i did try another monitor. it shows up on laptop monitor but the desktop monitor i have connected to laptop is clear and fine. its what im using to type this. i did notice yesterday and today that my mozilla firefox gives me a crash message everytime i try to open it. never done that before. also this morning on my first boot up and every one since last night the screen has gone liny, glitchy, blue, gray, and white as soon as i hit the power button.

would a loose cable or ribbon cause the computer to lag really bad like the processor is bogging down? im talking slowed mouse, the image on my monitor is in real time but the image on the laptop screen is delayed by 20 seconds or so and thats the fastest.

Im pretty sure it has an onboard one because like i said earlier. when i uninstalled all nvidia drivers the computer loaded some other drivers until i loaded the new drivers off their site. now im not totally sure the computer didnt just load the old drivers instead. it mae the problem go away once but it came right back and with a vengence after first reboot.

i have my health report that i ran. its an html file. i am no sure how to load it to a reply here.

i shook the screen and computer vigorously and nothing changed. it was still liny and white. so i took the right corner and pulled towards me slightly and took the left corner and pushed it away slightly. now the screen is completely black. I am still under warranty. can i break into the screen to look at the ribbon?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

You could take it apart if you want but I wouldn't do it as it would more than likely void the warranty.If you don't know what you are doing it could be more trouble than what it is worth.You are probably better off getting it repaired since it is still under warranty.

6. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

good news is i fixed it. I have the basic knowledge of computers and electronics and how they work. so i tore apart my lcd screen and carrier. I touched the ribbon on the bottom of the screen with a rubber item and bam. screen works like normal. no slow computer no lines nothing. good as new for now. been running like this for about 30 minutes. I have no idea how that problem made the computer rn really slow and what not and all those symptoms but hey. If you can explain it ill listen. I figured it was hardware related when the monitor displayed perfectly. also my firefox isnt crashing now. somehow thats related. ill try to do a restart now and see what happens.

7. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Sometimes the ribbon cables come loose or they break from opening and closing the case.I'm glad you got it working and hopefully it was just something loose.