1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with home theater setup

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Bladerz05, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

ok, i am new to home theater set-ups so please excuse my ignorance on the subject. I am planning on buying the sceptre 42" komodo http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2948299&body=MAIN
    . to save on space i plan on using it for my tv as well as my computer moniter.

now, heres my issue, i have read that the speakers are pretty weak on the tv so i am planning on removing them and putting in pc speakers as i am ignorant in a conventional set-up. i want to use the logitech z-2300 speakers http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122 because they are cheap and have good reviews.

The tv has one vga slot which would be used to view my computer screen but it also appears that the speakers have a similiar cable. i also want to be able to use these speakers on my computer as well as my home theatre without having to swap cables (preferrably).

If any of you guys have alternate suggestions i am completely open to them but i am on a tight budget so keep that in mind please.

Thanks in advance

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

that TV is only 720P, if you are going to use it as a computer monitor also, I think you should opt for the 1080p, or at least, the 1080i. And if you change TVs, you might find one that HAS good speakers built in, then you would just run your computer's OUT into the INPUT of the TV, and you would be set.

3. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

on the costco website where i was intending on buy it it says
    #
    HDTV Compatibility: 1080p, 1080i, 720P, 480P and 480i video signal
    #
    Upscaleable to 1080p using Faroudja Technology®

which is kinda confusing when you compare to tigar direct. i would prefer a 1080p hdtv but i dont know of such a tv in that price range. do you have any suggestions?

4. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

5. gdubb85

gdubb85 Member

I know this is an old bump but I just bought a 42" Vizio 720p from Walmart two days ago and IT IS SWEET. Im using it as my monitor right now. No blurriness at all; perfectly crisp. $946. Search VW42L. And the sound is at 23/100 and its almost too loud so no issues with weak sound or crappy sounding sound.