1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with Installing XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by truth721, Mar 26, 2007.

1. truth721

truth721 Regular member

so heres the deal, i had winxp home, backed up my data, and installed winxp pro. it works good, but i still have data from home left in my computer, like program files, and other stuff. how do i get rid of that. my hard drive is 80 gb, and i have 61.2gb out of 74.6(i think thats what it is) left on my computer. arent i suppose to have 74.6 gb in stead of 61.2. i thought that the installation would delete everything and start from scratch. so i installed it again, now i have 2 winxp pro on my computer. how do i fix my mistake. is there a way to reformate or delete the partition to create a new one. if theres anymore info that you would like to know feel free to speak. well any answer is appreciated.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

If you do not mind reformatting your computer then do a complete re-install of XP Pro. It should tell you that you will lose all saved information because it is going to format the drive.

Or you could start the machine pressing F8 and when the startup menu appears select "safe mode command prompt". When you get to the command prompt make sure that you are at the c:\ and not c:\Windows\Documents and Setting\user name. You can accomplish this by typing "cd\" (without quotes)

Now from the c:\ prompt type, "format c:" (without the quotes). It will tell you that all information will be lost, do you wish to continue. Press Y for Yes and your computer will format. This will leave the drive without anything on it.

Now you have to start the computer with the XP Pro disk in. Go through the setup process and the only thing that should be on your machine is XP Pro. Please note that this will not work if the XP Pro is an update to XP Home. It must be the full version CD.

If your HDD is partitioned
    You must be logged in as administrator to perform this action. Go to the Control Panel. Select Performance and Maintenance. Now select Administrative Tools. Now select Computer Management. When the window opens on the left hand side you will see Storage and under that Disk Management. That is where you will see all of your drives on the computer. If you have a drive that is partitioned you may remove the partition from this area.

Good luck!!

3. truth721

truth721 Regular member

thanks i did that yesterday. i reinstalled xp home and reformatted the hdd. then i upgrades to pro with a full version cd. eventhough i downloaded xp pro from a torrent, im satisfied. although i wont be able to install ie7, and update other microsoft stuff cuz of the WGA (WNINDOW GENUINE AUTHENTIC), i can go on till i upgrade to an OS they have thats not buggy.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I'm glad that you got it worked out. Don't switch to Vista anytime soon. That has more bugs in it than XP ever had. I imagine that Microsoft will come out with a completely new OS in another year or two at the most.

5. truth721

truth721 Regular member

yea, i kno how microsoft are. im not gonna be a test subject for their world domination. lol but yea, i tried ie7 when it came out, and i couldnt install it again after the first time, but its just a rip of of firefox. im glad i reformatted my system, and i think i'll reformat it in 2 or 3 year. leo laport formats his every year.

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I don't see the necessity to format the drive when you have all of the tools available to keep it running quick. I never format my drive, but then again, I know how to keep my computer and registry clean and up to date.

Maybe a format is the way to go for people that don't know how to do a registry sweep. I agree Bill Gates is trying to dominate the world. What's he going to do if Linux ever comes out with a standard OS for the world to use? Right now Linux is a great OS but there are so many different variations to it, that most people don't know which way to go.

I have IE7, but I don't use it. I think that it is too slow. I have tried many different browsers, but Firefox is my favorite. If you download the IE Patch you can even browse Microsoft sites and download from Microsoft without a problem.

A lot of different browsers are using the tab feature, but Firefox seems to be the most stable. I was a little worried about their last download for a while, because someone had found weakness in the security. I thought I was going to have to switch again, but they had the update within a week.

7. truth721

truth721 Regular member

yea, im gonna need to get a registry cleaner and other software to keep my computer clean and hack proof. any suggestions for a brand new reformatted computer. i know some registry cleaners like regclean and cclean(i think thats the name), a virus scanner that actually cleans(i kno the trendmicro website can scan and clean)

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Sure I know several programs that you can use, but the best way is to actually clean and remove items yourself. That can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing in the registry. The programs that I am going to list are good programs that I would suggest you run once a week to stay on top of it.

TweakNow RegCleaner Standard
    CCleaner
    Ad Aware SE Personal
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    A-Squared Free

Anti Virus
    AVG Free
    Avast Home Edition

I gave you a choice of two that I like. I use one at home and the other at work. They both seem to work great. They both have auto updates, and scan regularly.

Firewall (Because Windows Firewall sucks!!)
    ZoneAlarm

There are other free firewall, but I seem to like this one the best. Whenever it tells you that something is trying to access the Internet or vise versa you may select, "Remember this Setting" before you select the Allow button.

All of the programs I have mentioned are free and like I said, run them once a week to keep your computer clean. Another secret that I will give you is that running these programs in safe mode after you update them is a good idea. In safe mode your startup programs do not run, which gives the programs to access all of the files on your system. I have two computers, so I can clean one while I work on the other. You may prefer to run one a night as you are going to sleep. That is your decision. If you turn your computer off at night I would suggest trying to run them at least every two weeks.

Since you just cleaned your machine you should have no problems at all. These programs will clean your temp files, and your cookies for you, as well as searching your registry. The only problem with searching the registry is that the program will overlook leftovers from previous programs that you had installed. These are the kinds of things you learn to clean for yourself.

I will suggest two more programs for you. ERUNT is a registry backup, and NTREGOPT is a registry optimizer. Run the optimizer before you run ERUNT. Keep ERUNT and NTREGOPT on your C: drive for access.

ERUNT & NTREGOPT

Read the files of ERUNT to learn how to use it in case you mess up your registry. ERUNT makes a backup of your registry all the time.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions. Please note that I did not advise you on any software that cost money, I believe in freeware as many people do.

9. truth721

truth721 Regular member

thanks i was thinking of gettin zonealarm again. my computer is on most of the time because i download alot of videos to convert to avi. thanks for the tips and trick along with the gifts.

10. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Not a problem, I love to share in knowledge.