1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with laptop DVDRW Drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by platinumj, Mar 11, 2007.

1. platinumj

platinumj Member

So the past 5 or so DVD's I've tried to burn have been getting about 90% done then getting errors as to why its not completing. I took a screen shot of the most recent one lately. Anyone have a clue whats going on, by the message Im guessing its something with my drive but dont know enough to narrow it down. Thanks

Here is a link to a screen shot of the error Im getting.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f83/platinumjason/?action=view&current=dvdwritererror1.jpg

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

What brand of discs are you using?
    Anything change since you were last able to burn?

Looks like you have the latest firmware - I have the same drive and firmware in my laptop. Not the best imho.

I no longer use 16x media w/ it just stick w/ 8x Taiyo Yuden.

3. platinumj

platinumj Member

Media is Maxell DVD+R 16x. I have used a spindle of these before and didnt have no problems then. Maybe I should try something else?

4. binkie7

You can try gently cleaning the lens with a qtip and rubbing alcohol. Just don't use to much so it drips.

You can also check the laptop manufactures site and see if they have a firmware update - if it's an HP I haven't been able to find one.

I would try other discs too - Maxell uses different manufacturers and the ones you have may not be that good. If they are made in Japan they use good manufacturers.
    You can pop a blank or one you've burned to in the drive and decrypter will give you the manufacturer on the screen on the right.

Others to try would be Verbatim, made in Japan Sony or Fuji.

5. platinumj

platinumj Member

Alright Ill try the alcohol thing, as far as firmware I cant find anything newer, its a HP zv6130us. I looked to find a manufacturer and didnt see anything, wether I missed it or it means its made somewhere else I dont know.

6. platinumj

platinumj Member

I forgot to mention and Im not sure if this will make a difference but when it first happend I couldnt get the drive to open by hitting the button I had to use a paper clip and stick it in the hole to get it to eject.

7. binkie7

Hmmm not opening - not a good thing but media the burner doesn't like can also cause that.

Your burner from the pic is a Matshita UJ-840 w/ 1.02 firmware version.

Try the lens cleaning, different media and you can also try uninstalling the drive in device manager - rebooting and letting windows do it thing.
    May not help but can't hurt.
    Right click on 'my computer'>properties>hardware>device manager.
    Right on the drive listed under 'dvd/cd rom drives'. Uninstall. Reboot.

8. platinumj

platinumj Member

I got it, I ended up emailing HP Tech support and this is what they told me to do. I did the run on the first step but it said it couldnt find it so I just did the second part and everything works now.

Step 1: Restart the service.
    ---------------------------------
    1. Click on start. Click on run, type service.msc in run box.
    2. search for IMAPI CD-BURNING COM SERVICES.
    3. Double click on it. and in service window click on start button to
    start the service.
    4. Restart the computer.

Step 2. please click on the link below and follow the steps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891894

NOTE: The URL above will take you to a non HP Web site. HP does
    not control and is not responsible for information outside
    of the HP Web site.

9. binkie7

I'm glad to hear that got you burning again.

Funny though HP advice is opposite of what is usually recommended and both are more towards cd's. (though that's sometimes ref either way cd or dvd)

But hey if it's working now - good deal. Though being in PIO mode will slow the burning down. Just about all newer drives - hard and optical are in DMA mode.
    PIO mode in an older transfer mode that's heavier on the processor - DMA is direct memory access w/ little from the processor. Better and faster transfer mode.

The Imapi cd burning has been known to cause problems burning on some setups when enabled/started.

You can also check this by going to control panel>administrative tools>services. Scroll down and you'll see IMAPI. For my pc's and hp laptop I have it stopped.

Need any more help just post back.

Happy Burning

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  10. platinumj

platinumj Member

I went through and switched back my drive to DMA I think its called. PIO is such a timely process, my ripping went from about 25 minutes to 4 hours and totally bogged down my computer and could not do anything else so I followed your directions and went through and started/enabled the process you gave me directions too see if that will work any better.

I just dont get how it use to work fine before and then quits and now I have to use PIO mode to get it to sucessfully work.

11. binkie7

Yep pio mode will put a strain on the cpu and slow things down.

Check and make sure the hard drive is in DMA also.
    Both transfer mode and current transfer mode should say DMA.

You can get it in device manager (see above). Look for ide channel - hard drive is usually on the primary ide channel. Right click on the channel properties>advanced tab.

I don't know how much burning you've done with this burner but at some point they start to go. Laptop burners faster imho then their pc counterparts.

Might want to check out Taiyo Yudens. If you're in the US you can get them from supermediastore.
    Just my experience with this burner - it's does best with these.

12. platinumj

platinumj Member

Alright thanks for the info. Ill give what you said a try and Ill check into the Taiyo Yudens also. As for the burner yeah its got alot of time on it. The computer itself is like a year old but its got much burn time on it.

13. binkie7

It might just be on it's last legs. I ended up picking an external to use when I burn with the laptop. I mainly just use the matshita anymore to read or burn cd's.

14. platinumj

platinumj Member

Yeah I found a nice external Pioneer if that is the case. I'll just use it til it completely dies out, hopefully it will hang in a bit longer though. Thanks for all of your help and input, I greatly appreciate it.

15. binkie7

You're welcome platinumj
    I hope the burner does last more than a bit longer.

Any more problems just post back.