1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with my router

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ghostbugg, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ghostbugg

ghostbugg Regular member

ok... so everyone in my house spends a good amount of time playing on xbox live. but we alwways have the same issue.... we keep getting errors telling us that our NAT settings are strict or moderate. every once in a while its open. im using a modem from mediacom, a router from linksys (BEFSR41 V.3.1), and a netgear switch. the router is xbox live compatible, and the firmware on it is what is recommended for use with xbox live. so does any one here have any suggestions as to how i can get it to open and keep it at open?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Mediacom modem, is it connected via USB or Ethernet? If Ethernet, it may have a strict NAT. If you can't configure it via the home page, you may have to get a modem that's more configurable.

3. ghostbugg

ghostbugg Regular member

well... it connects via ethernet, but it is configurable. i have the ports 88 and 3074, which on the ports that need to be open for xbox live, forwarded to the ip address of each of the xbox 360 systems. which gave me open for a short period of time, but then it went back to strict. then i tried disabling the DHCP, but still the same thing. still cant figure this thing out.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it may be better simply to allow all for the modem (if you can) and then use the firewall on the Linksys, which'll probably be better.