1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with no-solder Swap Magic !

Discussion in 'PS2' started by nouseforO, Sep 22, 2003.

1. nouseforO

nouseforO Member

Okay, so call me an idiot, but I may have destroyed my JPS2.

First things first: I have a Japanese PS2, model 30007R. I got it last summer from ncsx, and I've had no problems with the machine. It does however, for some odd reason, play region 3 DVDs.

Anyhow, I got it in my mind somehow to get a no-solder modchip with Swap Magic (Japanese build) discs. I opened up the PS2, connected both the reset/eject ribbon + the adjacent, smaller one to the chip and plugged the chip in. I had everything running fine, but when I tried doing the swap trick - it was a no go. So, the PS2 was still working, but the mod wasn't.

I read somewhere online that you should pop out the eject and power buttons, so I did such in hopes of getting the mod to work. Unfortunately, now the PS2 does not turn on at all. I still have it in pieces and I kept trying to tighten the ribbons and plug them in tighter to get it to run. The power light isn't turning on. I'm figuring maybe I damaged the ribbon somehow, or something got loose while I was playing with it. Either way... I'm in a bad situation now.

I'm wondering what my options are now. Where can I go from here and what can I try?

Gentleman, I leave my (PS2's) fate in your hands. Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. billz

billz Active member

wow,sounds like you got your self into some trouble.You poped out the power and eject buttons???try to replace the ps2 back to orginal condition.before you installed the mod?does it turn on?work?if it does you just got a bad chip it happens.if it's not working you may have blown fuses.if you have no idea what your doing try ps2ownz.com many pro installer's there or possibly http://www.modchipman.com/catalog/default.php
    i've heard very positives things about him and he may be able to help you

3. nouseforO

nouseforO Member

I mean, I'm not completely stupid - but I'm also not completely familiar with the hardware.

Unfortunately I think I might have blown something. I tried popping the ribbons back into the main board and I'm still not getting any power. Then again, maybe something else came loose on the board and I just need to play with the connections. That would be the best possible scenario.

By "popping out the power and eject buttons" I mean I popped out the whole thing that holds them from where it was residing. Now they just dangle freely with the ribbon attached. Maybe the logic is that it's easier to hook them up when it's not mounted on to the top case. Here's where I got the idea from: No-Solder guide

Note #6 on that guide.

Thanks for your help, I'll check out that site!

If you/anyone is interested, I can take pics of the machine. The ribbon for the power/eject button is a little bent/damged. I'm not quite sure if this would cause it not to function. ... : /

4. pinkslip

pinkslip Member

I would not touch Modchipman.com if I were you. They are rude to customers (expecially newbies), they don't repond to emails and probably won't do the job properly after taking the money. Seems that the place is runned by a bunch of burned out young guys. If you trust people like that, go ahead and use them.

5. nouseforO

nouseforO Member

Thanks. I was hoping to find somebody that could help me fix it/look at it for me/tell me what exactly I can try.

I don't suppose anyone like that is lurking these forums?

Like I said, I can take pictures. I'm badly missing Winning Eleven 7 right about now : (

6. pinkslip

pinkslip Member

you should try www.ps2newz.net and in the installer section find somebody in your area who would be able to look at your problem for you. That is your best bet. If you fried the board, it will probably be difficult to fix it however, if the problem is only limited to certain chips that are burned out, I don't think that you would have a problem.