1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with RAM issues

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by shawanba, Sep 22, 2007.

1. shawanba

shawanba Guest

My emachines T1440 came with two sticks of 128mb and I am trying to upgrade to the max allowable - 518mb. I purchased two brand new sticks specified for the machine but not at the same time. When the first stick arrived, I installed it leaving one slot with an old stick. Then I found out that I had to have matching sticks in each slot. So I bought another stick. However, when installed along side the other 256mb, the machine freezes. I have checked out each stick separately to see if one is bad, but this is not the case as each works fine with the old 128mb in the other slot. I've contacted emachines for assistance but they blow me off . . . probably cause the pc is old. I was hoping that someone here could offer some suggestions . . . as you can tell I am not a guru but am willing to try. :)

2. ERICKO200

ERICKO200 Member

hi, if you put the old one with 1 new one and boot to windows, check if it reads the new one.. right click on my computer and go to properties, under the general tab check what you ram is at if it is around 128 then the new stick is not being detected, in that case it is very likely that u got a stick with the correct amount of ram but not the correct speed. try to post what you can read on the sticker of that 128 stick compared to the new stick u bought.

3. shawanba

shawanba Guest

Thanks for the reply and assistance ERIKO200!

Both sticks are detected when placed along with the original 128 stick and the general tab reads as follows: 140GHz, 384 MB of RAM

The sticker of the original 128 reads as follows:

S/N: 22M52021844773
    P/N: MDSTTLEO8HO8
    PC133 128MP SDR/CL3
    Twin MOS

4. ERICKO200

ERICKO200 Member

ok great info noe can u get the new stick and post what that one says aswell.. also if u can give me your motherboard model number so that i can see the max speed ram sticks you are able to use.

5. shawanba

shawanba Guest

Both sticks registered 384mb of RAM when placed along side the 128mb stick.

I don't exactly know where the motherboard model number is located . . . I see a Vendor ID: 10154 and then a barcode located in the middle of the main board: (S) 309611-S03166 . . . then there is a black square with "intel" on it which has numbers . . . FW82801AA ...F1481890 ... SL3Z2 . . . according to the emachines web site my model T1440 should hold up to 512mb of RAM . . . ? Are these the numbers you need?

6. ERICKO200

ERICKO200 Member

yes it supports 512 but you need to figure out what speed is the ram you just bought, PC100 or PC133 SDRAM DIMMs is what you need if the sticks you have are quite a bit over that speed it wont work, check the sticker on your new memory sticks like you did with your old one and please post it.

7. shawanba

shawanba Guest

The sticker on each stick reads:

#1 - Edge Tech Corp 256MB 46050-13
    #2 - Edge Tech Corp 256MB 45518-13

I also have on original package from one of these sticks which reads:
    D3168SU256MN-131608
    256MB PC133 DIMM

Even though I don't have the other package, both sticks were ordered from Edge Tech and selected based on the web sites specs for my computer. :)

8. ERICKO200

ERICKO200 Member

i seems it should work.. hmm maybe they are bad sticks, maybe they are not compatible, some computers support 256 of ecc memory (very reliable sticks of memory that offer error correction)on each socket, if the memory is not ecc it will only support 128 sticks in each socket, i ran into that issue before. i would just return the 2 sticks and get 2 new ones of PC133
    SDRAM 128 ECC memory. i wish there was any other way i could help but unfortunately i can only do so much on a forum. btw sorry for rasponding so late.