1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with SATA/IDE HDD's and SATA controller card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by usfbulls, Nov 29, 2007.

1. usfbulls

usfbulls Member

I have run out of space on my 30GB IDE HDD and have purchased a new 150GB SATA HDD along with a PCI SATA controller card (because my PC only has IDE). I installed the controller card and downloaded the drivers and it shows up in the device manager. Next I booted windows XP and then connected my new SATA HDD to the controller card. I format the drive, assign a drive letter and everything works great. Now when I turn off my PC and reboot my PC goes through BIOS then goes to controller card BIOS setup and screen goes blank (as if it's loading from the SATA HDD which does not have windows on it). Now if reboot and uninstall the SATA HDD everything boots up from the IDE and I can't use the SATA HDD. I don't have the windows XP cd (bought it like 3 or 4 years ago and chucked it) so I can't transfer windows to the SATA HDD to see if that works. I looked in the settings in the BIOS and it is not recognizing the SATA HDD at all. It only shows the IDE HDD. I am at a total lost for what to do now, the SATA HDD works everytime if I plug in after I reboot. What can I try next? Any ideas? Is there a way to clone my IDE HDD to the SATA HDD and be able to run windows xp or is this not possible? I would like to run both drives but if I have to I'll use just the SATA HDD. Please help, I'm going crazy here!!!

MoBo: ASUS A7V8X-MX SE
    CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
    CPU Speed: 1825 MHz
    Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
    IDE HDD: 30GB
    SATA HDD: 150GB

2. philraz

philraz Regular member

check your bios boot sequence make sure your IDE drive is first boot device if you can access the sata drive card during boot you may find boot options in there also

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, all you need to do to get this working is to change the order the drives are picked up in the BIOS.