1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help with Skybox F5s Setup

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Raj2000, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Raj2000

Raj2000 Newbie

Hi Guys,

I just got my Skybox F5s couple of days back, but i am unable to set it up.

Problems is my property just has aerial antenna connection (No Dish Antenna).
    Also, as of now I just have Virgin Broadband connection (No Tv Connection).

My Setup
    I connected my skybox with ethernet cable and also connected the TV aerial to skybox. And as expected it is not working.

I am not sure whether this will work on not just wanted to get the concept pass through you guys.

As of now I have one virgin cable which is connected to my Virgin broadband Hub.
    What I want to test is, by using a spliter can i connect one cable to Virgin Media and another to Skybox to replace the aerial cable.

Will this work by any chance?

Thanks in advance.....

2. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

The clue is in the name of the box? its sky you need a dish and you need broadband to clear the premium channels, your virgin bb would be fine for this, your virgin "aerial" coax is no good to a skybox.

3. piopat

piopat Active member

raj a satellite box requires a satellite signal from a satellite dish , you mention virgin broadband do you also have virgin cable tv ? . i am wondering if you thought the skybox would work to open cable tv ? , it of course wont as its a satellite box not a cable box . if you have cable tv and the box is new your supplier may be willing to replace the box with a box suitable for cable tv .

are you going to have a dish installed raj ? obviously you will need one for that box . once you have a dish you can then view all free channels and also then you can go about getting pay channels . satellite dishes are reasonably cheap these days , you could buy one on ebay as they sell sky dish kits . i would say a 60cm dish would do if your living in the south of england , if you are in the north you may need an 80cm dish .

if you are ok with a ladder and a drill you could fit the dish yourself , if there are any houses with dishes near you point the dish in the direction that they point , and then you may have to move the dish slightly (to tweak it) just to get it aligned properly , but the sky satellite is quite strong signal wise . or you can pay a guy to fit the dish , but even by buying a dish kit and getting a guy to fit it you can save a few pounds .

i cant help you with your virgin hub as i dont have one , so one of the other guys here may be able to help you there , but once you have a dish fitted (or maybe a neighbour would share their dish with you , if they have a quad lnb with unused conections you could connect to one of them) i can help you with your skybox .

4. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

the virgin hub is basically a modem and router built in to one mate, the only thing this guy needs (as youve pointed out) is a sky dish, his virgin will unlock his channels, another point to the poster is that if you do get a sky dish you do not have to subscribe to a sky package

5. piopat

piopat Active member

hi tongs mate yes i know what a virgin hub is , its just as i dont have one i cant really say if raj can do what he is asking (which is splitting the internet ) that said i would think no , but obviously i cant say that for certain .

i think what raj should have done is maybe have bought a combo box such as the amiko mini hd combo , that way he would have freeview terrestrial channels while he waits for his dish to be installed . and then he would have satellite and terrestrial . talk soon

6. hursty

hursty Active member

you bought the wrong box, you should have got the zgemma for cable tv, save the hassle of needing a sky dish

7. cactikid

cactikid Active member

you can split your broadband coaxial feed in with a splitter with one side to router and other side to a cable receiver ,but as said above you need a satbox with a sky dish + internet