1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with slow torrent speed

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Huskie, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Huskie

Huskie Member

Hi, everybody. I'm new to this site and torrenting itself.
    I have read a handful of guides and searched the forums, but haven't found any solution that could effectively solve my problem(s).

I'll try to be as detailed as possible, since as I said, I'm new to torrenting, and don't know what information is relevant and what isn't.

I'm using Windows XP SP2, downloaded a patch that opens up more ports (don't know exactly what it does, but somebody reccomended it for somebody else with a similar computer and internet connection then mine, so i thought I'd give it a try). My internet is supposed to be 512kB/s, though on some speedtests I've done it ranged about 100kB/s higher or lower than that, depending on the speedtest I took (all located on my city).

I'm using uTorrent, and started downloading a 6+GB file. The speed is down to a crawl, though (~5-10kB/s), with my upload speed mostly higher than the download speed (~10-20kB/s), especially as of late. My share ratio is over 0.92 atm, and I have only downloaded 1GB as of yet, and from what I read, this is not exactly normal.

In the beggining of the downloads I connect to one or two seeds, eventhough the program says there are a few dozen available (and a couple thousand on swarm, whatever that means). Only after a few hours it will start connecting to more of those available seeds, but even then, the speed remains pretty low.

The number of peers is also rather low (I think), usually three to four times the amount of seeds.

The download speed is uncapped, and the upload speed is capped at 22kB/s, though I've never seen it reaching the cap anyway.

I'm on a Linksys wireless router, and from what I read, this higher upload than download thing could be a NAT problem, though the guides point out that uTorrent should give me some kind of warning if I had a NAT problem, when in fact it isn't showing anything.

Windows firewall is off and I only got AVG running.

The port forwarded (16881) is Ok, from what the uTorrent test shows. It is also set to not randomize the ports on startup.

I don't know if this has any relevance, but when I try to download things from programs such as limewire, my download speed always gets to a maximum of 60kB/s, while with uTorrent I only get mostly ~5-10 with a few 30-40peaks that only last for a few seconds, rarely. Again, from what I read, this seems like a NAT problem but I don't know how to solve it, neither can I be sure if that's really the issue.

Thanks for reading, and also thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if this issue has been handled hundreds of times before, I did try a search on the forums but either the issues were not like mine or the solution provided didn't help me at all. Torrent seems like a very useful tool, I only need to get to understand and handle it a bit better. :)

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

First about bits "b" and bytes "B". 8bs = 1B.
    ISPs advertise speed in bits and uTorrent shows speed in bytes.
    So the 512kbs would be 64kBs.

If uTorrent is showing OK on the NAT test, then you probably set up your router correctly.
    You could check the uTorrent FAQ on Routers known to have trouble with P2P.

There is no reason to turn off the windows firewall, it is easy to make an exception for uTorrent.
    Check Options/Preferences/Connection for this.
    Since you forwarded your port for the router, also check there to make sure UPnP and NAT-PMP are disabled.

How did you arrive at 22kBs as the upload cap?
    Is it 80% of your overall upload speed?
    Setting your upload over 80% can result in slower downloads.
    You can also get trouble from routers with too many open connections.

Did you use the Options/Speed Guide to set your upload speed and global connections?
    The speed guide has a pulldown menu of common upload speeds (in bits), which automatically sets your upload cap and adjusts your connection settings to their optimal.

3. Huskie

Huskie Member

Thanks for the quick reply, jeff.
    Interesting info about the capital and small "B's", I didn't know about that (I'm quite a noob with all these networking things). That clears up a bunch.

I didn't find any such NAT-Test in uTorrent though. In the guides I read it just said there should be some kind of "yellow triangle with an exclamantion mark" or "green dot" icon showing in the status if there's a NAT problem, but I haven't spotted any such icons. Where are they supposed to appear? And what is meant with "status", is it the small icon that appears on the lower-right corner of the screen? And is that NAT-Test something I can run myself on uTorrent (looked for it but couldn't find it) or is it something the client runs automatically in the background?

Also, on the speed settings on uTorrent, I tried setting it to what the speed-test results showed but it wouldn't have any effect on the download speed.

And lastly, when I set the speed to "xx/512k" which is what I think my connection's speed is, the upload limit raises to 47kB/s. According to what you said 22kB/s is about 80% of my connection, so why does uTorrent set it to 47kB/s by default? Or is the speed on that drop-down box also in kB/s instead of kbs (sorry, probably a dumb question, but it doesn't show the exact unit, and I still haven't got the grasp completely of this whole thing)?

In any case, I tried putting it to "xx/64k" now, but as of yet haven't seen any significant improvement in the download speed, only my upload speed dropped to almost nothing. Will post again if it improves over time.

Again thanks for the help, much appreciated. :)

EDIT: Shortly after selecting the "xx/64k" speed a yellow triangle icon appeared on the bottom of the uTorrent interface. When I hover the mouse over it, it says: "No incoming connections".

EDIT2: Tried capping the upload speed at 10kB/s, and now my download speed raised a bit, still hasn't gone below the 10kB/s (while earlier having anything over 10kB/s was pretty seldom), but the yellow triangle is still there.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I did not say 22kB was 80%, I asked if it was.

You need to take a speed test. It is your upload speed that matters. There is a link to the test on the Speed Guide screen.

When you open Options/Speed Guide you will see a button that says "Test if port is forwarded properly".
    This is the NAT test.

I am not certain you actually forwarded your port through the router.
    Check out Portforwarding.com uTorrent & Routers.
    I am sure there is a specific guide for your router and uTorrent.

The patch you downloaded does not open ports. It probably is one for opening more connections.

5. Huskie

Huskie Member

Hmm, I had run the Speed Guide plenty of times earlier before, and the port I forwarded seemed always good to go. Now there is an error. Well, at least I guess I'm making some progress since the download speed seems to have caught up a bit ever since I tried re-configuring some settings after your first post.

I was really thinking I was having NAT trouble since the beggining, but the port forwarding test never showed any problems with the port I specified until just recently. I think (and hope) that if I can forward the ports correctly with my router my problem will be solved.

I had also been to that guide for uTorrent with my internet router before as "portforward.com", as well. However, my main problem with port forwarding is: it requires me to run Windows' command prompt, but everytime I try to run it, it stops responding right after opening it. Being unable to open the command prompt has been troubling me for some time now.

I have already scanned my computer with AVG for any malware that could be causing this, and actually found some, but even after getting rid of them I'm still unable to open the prompt (same happens to the registry, btw). Must be some virus that AVG can't detect.

I don't know what is causing this, but re-installing Windows or formatting the computer is not an option. Is there any way to get a fixed IP address without using the command prompt (or any way to get rid of this prompt issue)?

And sorry, I thought you were implying in your earlier post that 22kB/s was 80%, not that it was a question.

P.S.: Just a quick side-question. I had 22 hashfails (107MB wasted) in 1.40GB. Is this normal?

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

As far as the ports, did you have UPnP enabled before and disable it?

I said to disable it because you said you had forwarded the port
    If you had forwarded the port, UPnP would cause trouble.
    You can use UPnP instead of forwarding if it works with your router.
    Which it appears it does, as you have indicated that you were passing the speed guide NAT test before.

What was your upload speed on the test and what setting did you use in the speed guide?

As far as the hash fails, that is a lot.
    I just checked a 5.81GB download and it had 3.71MB discarded.

On the command prompt, have you tried using Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt?

7. Huskie

Huskie Member

Ah, yes, re-enabled UPnP and now the yellow triangle icon is gone.

Sorry, when I said I had forwarded it, I meant choosing a port and checking if it was ok (which it seemingly was) at the Speed Guide. I thought it was called port forwarding as well, since that's how it was called in the Speed Guide, but now I read a few more guides in the web, and know now how far off I was when i said that.

I ran three different speed-tests, all located in my city. A couple showed I had ~400kbs and one of them showed ~580kbs. Rather confusing results, I guess. Anyway, the internet service provider claims it to be 512kbs.

On the Speed Guide's settings I put some custom settings which seem to have been working best so far. When I set it to "xx/64k" earlier, it improved a bit but not by much. The current settings, which seem to be working Ok'ish are the following:

Upload Limit: 10kB/s
    Connections: 90
    Max Active torrents: 3 (only using one, anyway)
    Upload Slots: 4
    Connections (global): 200 (Seems like any number above 200 causes problems with my router)
    Max active downloads: 2

Let me know if anything can be improved there.

Btw, yeah I managed to open the command prompt from the start menu, instead of using "Run". I'm so thick, lol.

So, is it better to continue with UPnP, or would the port forwarding make the download speed go faster than UPnP (or along with, if that's even possible, since I have no clue what UPnP is)?

And is there any way to minimize hashfails?

Thanks for the help and patience, jeff. :)

EDIT: It seems to be running well, now. Download speed is usually ~15-20kB/s and sometimes gets ~50-60kB/s peaks, but also sometimes drops to 8kB/s, but I guess it's just because there's more peers than seeds. Upload speed has stabilized, as well, after I set the cap to 10kB/s.

8. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

It is your upload speed that matters on the speed test, not your download speed.

You use your upload speed from the speed test to set your speed guide.

You did not use the speed guide.
    If you had, then your global connections would be set much lower.
    Having more open connections does not necessarily mean better speeds.
    The speed guide will set these to their optimum for best download speed.

What was your upload speed on the tests?

I am not sure why the hash fails. Do you have PeerGuardian 2 installed?
    If not, then you should try using it.

As far as the UPnP vs forwarding, most say that it is better to forward.
    However, if you are consistently getting good speeds (once you have the proper settings), then it would not be worth the bother.
    Too many open connections will mess up any router.

9. Huskie

Huskie Member

You see, the problem with the speed-tests I've run (in my city, since I'm not from the US), is that they don't specify what my upload and download speeds are, accordingly. They just show "Your speed is X". They don't even show if it's kb/s or kB/s, although I believe it to be kb/s.

And yes, I have used the Speed Guide, but what I did was the following: From the start I was using the "xx/512k" settings, but the upload cap was set at 47kB/s, which now I know was way too high. So, after posting here and seeing your explanation of bits vs. bytes, I set my speed to "xx/64k" assuming that it was given in kB/s there, as the upload/download caps and speeds are given in that unit. There was only a minor improvement, since it set my upload cap to 5kB/s. So I set it back to the "xx/512k" setting, but this time around lowered the upload cap to 10kB/s and lowered the global connections from 250 to 200, since it is stated in some places that my router can handle only as much as 200.

It has been running well since those last changes. I tried (proper) port forwarding, but didn't notice any improvement, so I switched it back to UPnP.

I might try playing around with the global connections, to see if I can optimize it further. Though I'm hesitant to re-configure things now that it finally seems to be working well.

I'm still getting the same average amount of hasfails, though, so I'm gonna try out that program you mentioned.

Another question: even when I'm in a 60kB/s download speed peak, I can still surf the internet normally, without noticing much, if any, slowdown, both in the internet homepage loading, or in uTorrent's download speed itself. Does that mean that I could get even faster download speeds?

10. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

The pulldown menu shows speeds in kilobits.
    Don't know why.

When you get your upload speed and set uTorrent through the speed guide you will get your best possible speeds.

Since you were getting higher speeds on the speed tests, then you could possibly get higher than 60kBs, but not much.
    More likely is that you will get it more consistently.

It is a fine line, you should not get the upload over 80% of your overall or necessary signals will not get through.
    This will cause slower downloads and internet surfing.
    On the other hand, the more speed on upload, will usually get more speed on download.

I would suggest using a US one and if the download speed is close to your others, then the upload would be correct probably.

11. Huskie

Huskie Member

Ok, ran two speed-test located in NY and TX, and got ~120kb/s upload speed.

Gonna try choosing the "xx/128k" settings in the Speed Guide.

Will edit this later if it turns out to give me better results than the previous 10kB/s cap.

EDIT: Nope, seems my previous settings worked way better.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  12. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

If the way you have it is working, then that is OK.

You could try the 192 or even 256 and see what happens.

The rest would be too high.

At least you are going pretty good.
    Enjoy.

13. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

As far as your hash fails, I did just notice at uTorrent FAQ that a game or DMZ mode on the router can cause this.

If your router has a "game" or "DMZ" mode, then you should disable it.

14. Huskie

Huskie Member

Although I don't know what you mean with Game or DMZ in the router, I do have noticed a drastic decrease in hashfails after installing Peer Guardian 2, as you suggested previously. Had only one or two hasfails in over 2GB downloaded, whereas before installing it, I had about 40 hashfails in about 1.5GB or so.

It's going very smoothly now, both with download speed and hahsfails, so I guess I solved all my problems. Thank you very much, again, jeff, your pieces of advice were very useful!