1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with this weird problem.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cueist1, Sep 16, 2004.

1. cueist1

cueist1 Member

hi guys.

i have the latest version of dvd shrink, and i am trying to back up some dvd's i have. the problem i am running into is very frustrating.
    when the program analyses the disk, (or, if you click the backup button), my computer crashes 100% of the time. most of the time it will start to analyse/backup, but then the crash happens and i have to reboot.
    i want to be clear, the problem isn't the burning, its before that.
    i have dvdshrink 3.2.0.15, and my computer is an intel 2.4 with a gig of ram, and plenty of drive space.

please, if anyone can help me with this, i would appreciate it.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

cueist1
    Welcome to the forum. When Shrink starts the analysis it probably is using 100% of the CPU that is available and that causes a lot of heat. Heat will crash a computer if it reaches a certain temp Windows will start shutting down the services to save the CPU and then cut off. Another cause of this could be conflicts w/in the computer and that could be software, Hardware or a combination of both. Are all of the cables seated properly? You might take the side of the computer off and then try the burn to see if that helps. If it does then try cleaning the dust out and installing more fans. Maybe someone else has a better idea but that is all I can think of.

3. cueist1

cueist1 Member

thanks for the info...i actually read something similar on another forum somewhere, so i tried removing the side panel from the computer, and cleaning it out..but it didn't work.

it really doesn't make too much sense, because i have used this program before...

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Reinstall Shrink?

5. sorgfelt

sorgfelt Member

I have the same crash problem, although only 512MB RAM on an AMD Athlon XP 2500. It is possible that the crash is caused by bad memory, a difficult problem to determine without parity or ECC memory, but please don't blame it on a hot CPU. I have worked for and on IBM and Intel computer hardware and software since the 1970's and I know better. Otherwise, I would get crashes from other software as well, which I don't. The most likely culprit is a memory leak or bad branch in DVDShrink that the programmer hasn't found, yet. So, here is a notice to dvdshrink - you have another bug to fix. And, while I'm at it, thanks for the effort. I wish I had the source code. BTW, when it crashes, the input is a directory created by DVD Decrypter and the output is an ISO file, so the DVD drivers have nothing to do with it, and neither would a fragmented hard drive, which would only cause slowdowns in this case, not crashes.

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I pretty much agree with sorgfelt. Why not try to burn with some other software (e.g. DVD43 and Nero) to see how it goes?

7. cueist1

cueist1 Member

thanks for acknowledging.

trying with nero won't really help...its not the burning that causes the crash...its the analyse/decrypt part...as far as i know, nero won't do this anyways...and the nice thing about dvdshrink is you can "shrink" all the info (menu's, extras) to fit on one dvd.

even though my first post on this was quite a while ago, I have had no progress with this problem, and i am still looking for a solution.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

DVD43 can handle the CSS issue very well, and Nero can also do what DVD Shrink can do, only much more.

9. Furd

Furd Member

Have you looked for other software (e.g. adware, incluing software that came with your computer that tries to sell you stuff) that might be popping up and causing a conflict? Check Task Manager for processes that are not part of Windows and shut them down when you do the analysis.

Good luck

ff

10. cueist1

cueist1 Member

well, if nero CAN shrink all the info down to 4.7 gig to fit on one dvd, as well as decrypt it, it's news to me. it seems to me that the company that makes nero would create problems with the movie people if that was the case, but i guess i am wrong? care to elaborate?...what version do you have?

i have tried the shutting down of all the unnecessary stuff running in the background...unfortunately no success there either.

11. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Nero cannot handle the CSS problem, but DVD43 can. That's why I said 'use DVD43 with Nero'. I have been using this combination for quite some time, and have had absolutely no problem thus far. There is a free version of DVD43 available. To use it, you also need to install a patin-couffin layer. Both are available from this site. After installation, DVD43 works at the background, and you can use Nero to do all the burning job you like. Check the program notes to see how DVD43 actually works.
    Some people have problems working with DVD43 and Nero, just like some people have problems working with DVD Shrink and DVD Decryter. I have all four softwares installed to give myself more flexibility. On my PC, they never clash with one another.

12. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

P.S.: DVD9 to DVD5, no problem with Nero.

13. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Also, because DVD43 works at startup, so a DVD would be removed of the CSS protection and region code once it is inserted. If you start DVD Shrink at this point, it would recognize the DVD to be without encrytion. I'm not sure about this, but if the problem with DVD Shrink is that it stresses the PC's resources that much during decrytion, then perhaps using the program after DVD43 has done its job may very well solve your present problem. I have DVD43 running all the time when I use DVD Shrink, and have experienced no problem at all.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]well, if Nero CAN shrink all the info down to 4.7 gig to fit on one dvd, as well as decrypt it, it's news to me. it seems to me that the company that makes Nero would create problems with the movie people if that was the case, but i guess i am wrong? care to elaborate?...what version do you have? [/bold]

cueist1

Yes Nero can do all of that(well, it doesn't rip). Why would the movie people pick on them as opposed to all the other software out there including Shrink?

Try Nero Ultra 6, it is an entire suite of video and audio apps and also includes photoshop, dvd authoring(creates menus and chapters), DVD and CD cover design, tookit, 2 burning engines (burning rom and express), CD burning, file conversion to DVD compliant files, DVD backup, copy to copy, and a ton of other stuff.

It can be loaded each and every month, and is good for the entire month. You can keep doing this until you decide to buy (which, for 59.00 I highly recommend.)

The program you're looking for is called Nero Recode. It works exactly like shrink except it won't rip, but it does burn. Shrink won't burn but it does rip.

You can use DVD decrypter(free) in file mode to rip the disc to your HD and use those files with recode or you can use an "on the fly" app called anydvd(like dvd43 only much better). It runs in the background all by itself, you don't have to operate it. You just open recode like you did shrink and open disc(using "add files") and then recode does it all from there, ie: edits and/or re-authors, compresses, and burns.

It is one of the easiest methods for DVD backup there is. It also works almost exactly like shrink 3.2 and a still image can be substituted for an extra and still retain menu function.

If you decide to try Ultra 6 out, be sure to download the Ultra 6 update packs 1,2,4,5,6. Do noy load #3(InCD) it can cause problems with dvd software and you don't need it unless you need packet writing software.

If you decide to go this route I have a very easy Recode guide I wrote that will walk you thru it, if you want it let me know. It also shows you how to edit, and use decrypter or anydvd(dvd43, dvd region free, etc.) with recode.

I don't know why your PC is crashing with shrink, something's definitely wrong there, and I don't know that another app will solve your problem. Usually changing apps doesn't solve the problem if it's something seriously wrong causing the PC to crash. :>)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I would like to clarify my reasons for anydvd over dvd43.

anydvd has a higher percentage of getting around encryption

anydvd is constantly being updated and has wonderful support

Anydvd just came up with a new copy protection based on unreadeable sectors to get around the new hard copy read errors DVD's are now using to prevent DVD backup.

It doesn't clash with other systems like dvd43 is known to do, especially the free 1.4 version that requires you to download patin couffin.

They cost the same(if you get the standalone version 2.0 of dvd43), so why not go with anydvd because of above reasons.

It has a 21 day free trial, try it, you'll like it ;>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  16. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Nothing to add there except that there is a free version of DVD43, and that I've never experienced any clashes with it running at boot up all the time.

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Yes, I mentioned it has a free version;

[bold]It doesn't clash with other systems like dvd43 is known to do, especially the free 1.4 version that requires you to download patin couffin.[/bold]

And no, it doesn't clash with everyone's system, but has been known to with some people's systems. I tried it for testing purposes and didn't have problems with the standalone version trial, but did with the free 1.4 version which requires the patin couffin DL.

If it works for you that's great, after all what matters is what works for you, I just wanted to point out the option of anydvd and it's advantages between the two paid versions.

Anydvd can also be started in the task bar when turning on your PC, (altho i don't, since I'm not always turning on my PC to burn a movie). There is also a program called DVD Region Free which works like anydvd and dvd43.

All of them cost about the same and all have trials. But as you stated, DVD43, version 1.4 w/patin couffin is free, and both can be found here in AD :>)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  18. sorgfelt

sorgfelt Member

I tried DVDShrink again while unchecking the video preview checkbox. It worked. Maybe it was a fluke, but you can give it a try.