1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by stagass, May 2, 2007.

1. stagass

stagass Regular member

hi guys.i'm completely new to this so i need some help.what firmware should i have?the newest or is it something liek psp where u need a low one?what kinda things can i do to my ipod or with my ipod?what abt games.plz help.
    ty in advantange

2. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

This is a very general question so I hope help with what you need. The latest iPod firmware is 1.2.1, and so far has seemed pretty stable. You can update to it any time in iTunes.

About the games:
    You CAN put many games on the iPod, but you have to purchase them through iTunes, unless you want to try a 3rd party firmware like iPodLinux or Rockbox, which I don't suggest if you're new to iPods.

What kind of iPod do you have? If you have a Nano, you can play videos on it through iPodLinux, but as I said earlier, if you're new to iPods, this probably isn't for you.

Post back if you have any more questions. ;-)

3. stagass

stagass Regular member

well, ty m8. :) that helped me a lot.but i can't understand why i shouldn't use ipodlinux or something?i managed to hack my psp and my ds so why not my nano too?w8ing 4 ur responce.
    ty :)

4. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

I never said you shouldn't, but I said IF you aren't savvy with these kinds of things then it's not for you. If you managed to hack your PSP, then you probably should try using Rockbox. It comes pre-loaded with games and you can put themes on it.

Here is a guide for installing Rockbox:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7/323431#1982024

5. stagass

stagass Regular member

ok.ty man :) what abt linux?is it easy?should i try it?

6. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Personally, I don't like Linux. It is best for putting videos on iPods that don't have video capability. If I were you, I'd go with Rockbox since you have video capability already.

7. stagass

stagass Regular member

well....i don't :p i have ipod nano

8. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Oh sorry about that lol I thought i remembered you saying you had an iPod video in your original post....but yeah since you have a Nano you should definantely try Linux.

9. andersg

andersg Regular member

I'm tempted to try putting these on my iPod but I am scared as to what might happen.

10. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Rockbox won't do anything bad as long as you follow the directions EXACTLY how they're written.

11. andersg

andersg Regular member

When you install Rockbow you can load the original and Rockbox firmware right? I have the 5.5g iPod (I think thats what they're called), does it work on mine?

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  12. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Yes all you have to do is hold the menu button when the iPod is powering on.

13. hanaku

hanaku Guest

Thanks jazo132. Your post is very helpful for me!

14. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Glad I could help. ;-)