1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP~

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by dmartin, Jun 5, 2007.

1. dmartin

dmartin Member

I just bought a game for my boyfriend off ebay. I didnt notice it was a PAL from UK version and well his PS2 doesnt play it.
    Can anyone help me out here? I need to figure out where I can get a Mod Chip and what one would be the best one and well also how to install it or does it come with directions. we looked on this forum (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/244546) and per this he has a Version 7 one. I really really really need to figure this out. This game that I got him is not even sold in the US. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Oh man im getting tired of these posts...

It dependes on his PS2. You need to use Swap Magic.

www.mod-chip.com

3. dmartin

dmartin Member

Sorry... I tried to go off the other posts but I am VERY new at this and I didnt understand that stuff... So what you are telling me is I need to get a mod chip and Swap Magic? Or do I need to get Swap Magic to determine what I need?

Thanks for helping me :)

4. dmartin

dmartin Member

Another question... So I went to that website and I found this: http://www.mod-chip.com/index-cart-us.php?go=en/select_ps2_main.htm
    It says it will work with ANY PS2... So... If I am in the US and i bought my PS2 here, then I would need to go wtih the one that says If you have bought your PS2 in the US or Canada please order the set for NTSC(USA/CANADA)
    But will that make it so I can play the PAL formated ones?? Like I said I am new at this and trying to understand it all...

Thanks again! :)

5. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Just get swap magic.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

ok, here is what you do.
    1. If your PS2 was bought in the US it is an NTSC system and if you decide to get Swap Magic then you need the NTSC version.
    2. With a V7 you will also need a flip top case. You should be able to find a combo deal that has the fliptop and Swap Magic.
    http://www.gocybershopping.com/customer/product.php?productid=1292&cat=191&page=1
    Like that one.

To be honest it is the cheapest way to go, and it will allow you to play both NTSC and PAL games by switching the video mode on the main screen of Swap Magic to PAL. But there are some drawbacks. When it plays PAL games there is almost always a small amount of screen cut of due to the different screen rates. This can be annoying with some games that have stats or meters at the bottom as they may get fully or partially cut off.

You other option is sending the PS2 off to a mod shop (Teammodders.com) and getting a good mod chip installed. It would cost more but is an all around better mod. But to get the most out of it you may want to looking into back up games. Your best choice for chips are.

1. Crystal Chip V2.0-great for people who play online with back up copies of their games
    2. Matrix Infinity Green Dot- Very good and stable chip
    3. DMS4 Pro SE- great for thos who decide to install and play games from an internal hard drive on the PS2. But they no longer have firmware upgrades.
    4. Duo3 Gold- a cheaper option that just has all the basic functions. It costs about $20 and will do what you need it to do, as well as play back up games. It lacks firmware upgrades and support for hard drives and some other higher end features.

Teammodders.com does installs for $35 last time i checked and you have to pay for shipping to and from them. (usually about $15 each way) DO NOT attempt to solder in a chip yourself unless you have very good soldering skills, very steady hands, very good eye sight, and some knowledge of small electronics.

Hope that all makes some sense.