1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need laptop help BIG TIME (ram and hdd dead)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by svtstang, Jul 1, 2007.

1. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Hey everyone. I have a Toshiba Satellite m55 s3293 laptop. Yesterday, my ram and hdd decided to give out on me. The hdd is a 100 gig Sata, the ram is 1 gig DDR. I know very little about computers in terms of hardware, will these replacements work ok, or can you sugget something better (I mean less money better value)?

Here is the RAM I am looking at
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145012

And the HDD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149058

I am hoping to buy the parts tonight, any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

stang you look like you know what you're doing. I like the RaM and HDD you chose to replace. The HDD is Toshiba and Corsair RAM is great. I'm sure that someone will add to this but I think you're fine in your choices. :)

...gm

edit: see next post. we had a confusing time at first. :)

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Those part wont work. You have an EIDE HDD in your laptop and I think for Ram it has to be PC-2700.
    EDIT: Just so you know I got these specs from here. Thats the official toshiba specs I believe.

4. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Thanks for the quick response guys! Yes, I need PC2700 DDR ram (I took the crucial test like 3 mins ago). I can support up to 2 gigs, 1 gig per channel.

EIDE?? I looked at my system info and it said sata. So the HDD that greensman linked to is a no go then? If so, can you recommend a compatible HDD (120-160 gigs)?

Thanks for all the help greensman and abuzar1!!!

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK I may have made an incorrect assumption here. :S

stang,
    Are those the specs of the parts that you removed from the lappy? You know the ones you linked to from Newegg. I went to the link that abuzar1 provided and it's showing the M55-S329 and M55-S3291 with specs similar to each other. Can you provide specs from your parts or from the case or anything for that matter so we don't steer you wrong? Thanks.

....gm

btw the links I provided from ZZF are good. ZZF is a good company and normally have GOOD prices too. ;)

EDIT:
    RAM PC-2700 You can get 2 of these if you want to...

A-data RAM link

WD 160 from newegg

I like these last 2 picks from newegg. As I've said I like WD HDD's and A-data has been good to some friends of mine.

Of course I went on the specs provided from the Toshiba website. If these specs are wrong you gotta let us know. We're aren't there tearing that thing apart. :) HTH....

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well the systems specs state it is a ATA-6 drive. Why don't you take out the HDD and see what it is? If you don't know how to tell(I'm sure you do but still) just take a picture and post it on here. Once you are sure what kind it is then you can find the right drive.

7. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

No those were links to the parts I *thought* would work! LOL I told you I am a retard! I need PC2700 compatible RAM, max I can support is 2 gigs , 1 gig per slot.

Here is my current HDD

http://www0.dealtime.com/xPO-Fujitsu-MHV2100AH

says it is ata....lol so it looks like we were all wrong.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

EIDE is ATA or PATA, the are all the same. ATA comes in many versions. YOu can read about it here. Well now that you know it is not a sata drive you can probably find a nice deal on the web. Try froogle, it usually turns up some good stuff. Places like circuit city also have good deals sometimes if you are OK witk rebates. From personal experience Circuit City has usually been snappy about rebates.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK check out my edit in my previous post. :D I think that answers all your questions and gets you on the right track for the parts you need. :) I think delivered to the door is about $160. That's for a 160GB HDD and 2 512 sticks of A-data RAM.

Hope this what you need buddy. ;) Oh and btw you're not retarded just learning. LOL. I'm the one that's retarded for not asking more questions. hehehe.

....gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As luck would have it, those are about the only laptop parts you can replace. That's DDR2 RAM so if you use DDR, that won't fit.

Wow it took me so long to finish that post I've been beaten to it!

11. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Wow, thanks for coming through guys!

@greensman, the HDD link goes to the A-data RAM. Here is what I am thinking.

HDD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136071v

RAM

Two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145484

Which RAM is better, this or the A-data?? I dont understand all this pin nonsense, I do know it say PC 2700 though LOL!

This setup will run me $160ish shipped, just a bit more then the A-data setup.

Again thanks for all the help, I will openly admit I know very little about hardware. If this stuff was as easy as console's I would be set.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

sorry for the mis-directed link. LOL. That's what happens when you got a wife rushing you and 3 kiddies running around like banshees. LOL.

link to WD HDD for laptop

I'll fix the other one too. ;)

I think the Corsair rAM is a good choice, just trying to get you the best bang for the buck so to say. You did well with the Corsair tho.

good luck and happy building......

....gm

edit:
    You need to pick the HDD you are wanting to purchase. ;) The link goes to many HDD's and not one in particular. I linked to the one I think will work and satisfy your needs at this point. Remember your looking for ATA-6 or IDE really for a laptop.

13. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Awesome timing! That was the hdd I was eyeing out. Kind of crappy reviews, but Newegg is pretty good about returns. The Corseir was only like a buck more, im cheap but I can handle that! So I will order the ram and the hdd, hopefully get it before the 4th. Ill post back when all is said and done. Thanks again for helping, coming from the console forums I am not used to people that actually help!

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

svtstang, did you get recovery cd's with your laptop or are they on the dead hd?

15. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Yeah I got a recovery cd, but the hdd is dying quickly. Every time I dl something, I either get a crc error, incomplete burns or the damn file just wont extract. This all just started happening a week ago. I ran SpinRite and it came up with all kind of errors.

You think I am jumping the gun ddp or is buying new RAM and a HDD a smart move?

16. ddp

check toshiba site if they made your hd & see if they have a hd diagnostic program to see if it agrees with spinrite result. other posibility is maybe your burner is causing the error.

17. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I have 2 burners, I use an external lite-on which is a month old and the factory internal. Both are having problems. It is weird, I dl something, it is fine....I extract it fine. The next day I extract the SAME EXACT THING and I either get some stupid CRC error or just a message saying "rar xxx is f'd." DL the rar again, same crap! Thought this was as good of time as any to get new parts :/

18. ddp

order the stuff as you can always use the drive as an external hd. try the new ram by itself to see if those errors still appear.

19. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Will do ddp, thank you for the input!