1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need more moderators maybe

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by keebles, Oct 5, 2012.

1. keebles

keebles Regular member

With all do respect, the moderators on Afterdawn do a great job of keeping the constant spam off this site. At times though, it seems like the moderators are over overwhelmed with the constant spam (like in past couple of days( some screw balls keep posting links to their stupid site). Maybe Afterdawn needs a few more moderators to help delete the spam from the site.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't post in the spam threads will make it easier for me to delete them but with your posts in them i can't delete but hid it after editing.

3. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

I just do my best to click the report tab, and one of the mods will find it soon enough. I know ddp, among others, have mentiond beforehand there are more spam threads that they get to that we dont see.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

yeah its getting rediculous.all the console fourms are over run with spam right now.seems to me ddp is the main moderator and the others barely come on.be much easier for you guys if you had a team of active moderators.

edit: just had a look now and it seems every topic is spammed not just console forums.seriously you guys need to block the spam attacks.fixed my typo from earlier.yes if i type a post before having my 1st coffee of the day its usually got typos in it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  5. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

With this spam flood during the last few days I personally wouldn't even care if you'd add a captcha querry before posting.
    This is getting ridiculous, can't you simply block all posts that contain the words Live stream? In the Consoles forum in every section the first page contains of these crap spambot posts.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I've been making a point of stopping by once or twice a day to help ddp out with this problem and I know some others have been doing the same. Like he said, though, if you can avoid posting in those threads it makes disappearing them completely a lot easier.

7. aldan

aldan Active member

yeah,its getting way out of hand.ive never seen so much spam on any site i go one or have been on.someone have it in for ad?

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I login everyday now at least once or twice a day from the other side of the world and check the recently updated forum posts and come across all these crappy spam posts. I have reported what i can but it just keeps coming.

I am wondering if i could be or can we add other long term members of Afterdawn as new moderators to deal with the influx of spam we are having??

Thanks

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

make it so noobs once they reach status of posting links to only 1 till they're members

no links in sigs till members

letter or word limits in posts

10. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Sorry about all the spam recently. We've been trying to improve our spam blocks, with varying success. We should be able to do better, though.

Newbies aren't currently (as of today (again)) not allowed to post links. There are quit strict post frequency limits in place as well, but when we're dealing with spam bots creating hundreds of accounts from hundreds of distinct IPs, the effects are less than satisfactory.

We've also blocked anyone coming from a previously banned IP from logging in to the site. This will probably cause some collateral damage with shared IP pools etc, but effectively IP blocks all the spammers from posting again after having their IP banned once.

I would like to thank everyone for posting their ideas and concerns!

11. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have an idea which may or may not work.the idea is any member who has reached senior member or addict should be able to hit report spam and the thread should be hidden until it has been reviewed by a moderator or staff members.

12. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I second this idea. I feel this would really help cleanup even if its on a surface level.

13. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Actually I've been thinking about such a solution. Maybe not hide the message straight away, but if 2-3 seniors/addicts flag the message, then hide it.

Sounds like something that we should be able to scrape together. =) Thanks!

14. aldan

aldan Active member

good idea,im all for it.

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Does it pay well?

The 'flag-to-hide' suggestion sounds like a good short-term fix to me; something I'd not thought of.

16. ddp

ripper, i haven't been paid since i started as a mod excpect for a towel, tee shirt & a box of "yummy" belgian chocolates.

17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

lol..poor ddp working for afterdawn for years & all he gets is a lousy t-shirt..i bet tthats what was printed on it too :p

18. ddp

said afterdawn on it plus site's logo.

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Haha, I know you don't get paid - I was just being sarcastic.

scorpz, this is a pic of LOCO generously modelling said tshirt

[​IMG]

20. ddp

i know that but others might not know that.