1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new DVD burner, Sony no good?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by yfzracer, Feb 1, 2005.

1. yfzracer

yfzracer Guest

I just bought a Sony DRU530A burner. I can only watch backed up DVD's on my toshiba DVD player, my other 3 freeze and get choppy after a while of watching. My friend and I just bought new Sony DVD players that are +/- compatable and his plays the DVD's perfect, in fact his burned copies seem to play on all of my players perfectly. My copies wont play on his players though. I use the exact same sony media as him (he gave me half of the package) and we both use Shrink with nero. The only difference here is that I use a sony burner and he uses a memorex burner. Anyone have a really good burner to reccomend? We have tried every variable and combination here and the only conclusion we have is that my new sony burner sucks. I defrag the hard drive, close all background tasks, running 2.4 MHZ 512 ram system. I now have about 40 discs burned that are garbage so now I have to reburn them all with a new burner. Any help would be great. It's not my DVD players or my media obviously. Thanks

2. odubb

odubb Member

I used sony for a long time but i think Plextor has tooken over as far as quality and professionalism.

3. yfzracer

yfzracer Guest

Yeah, It does a reliable burn every time but after trying the burned copies on 8 different DVD players, it only works on 1 toshiba player and on a Playstation 2. I have tried several different brands of media and it seems sony burns a little too shallow or something. I did the firmware update but it did not help. What does everyone thing about memorex burners?

4. hursty

hursty Active member

i use a pioneer 108, an excellent burner with good right ups.but i believe it is made by sony!
    nec 3500a also has good ratings

5. J_man

J_man Regular member

I use the SONY DRU710A and have had excellent success.

yfzracer,

Try swapping drives with your friends Computer just to rule out P.C or operating system issues.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  6. NSA187

NSA187 Regular member

i have a sony dru530A i have no problems burning dvds or cdrs and mostly every single brand plays on my dvd player

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

What setting do you use when burning with Nero? If you burn using UDF instead of DVD-Video, it might only play on your PC.

8. NSA187

NSA187 Regular member

i use clone dvd 2 one, try getting the newist firm ware off the site for the burner