1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Opinions on Best Dvd Burners......

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ofield, Dec 25, 2007.

1. cdan

cdan Regular member

Is there any speed advantage to using a sata vs ide burner. The LG GSA-H55L has very high marks but is ide.
    cdan

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good ideas in here. ;)

Looks as tho the main consensus is for Lite-On.. That's ok but remember there are other drives out there and they perform as well as Lite-On whether it's read or write.. ;)

For the Lite-On DH-20A3P go here for "test" f/w... linky for f/w also here for Wind's page.. linky to Wind's f/w

Pioneer's are great but you have to "find" the f/w for your drive.. Well modded f/w that is. ;) The Dangerous Bros are your best bet..

Sony/NEC/Optiarc are becoming better. The 719X series are Lite-On's as is the 7201 drive. BUT the new 7200 and 7203 series from S/N/O are reported to be really good drives.. even back to the 3550 series drive days.. :D btw Liggy&Dee have some great f/w at CDF!!

LG are good too but you need/have to get the Renasas chipset or you're "pissing" in the wind!! The Renasas is just known as a good chipset and the more well liked LG's had that chip manufacturer. ;)

...gm

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Why do you need modded FW? (LOL)

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

You don't have to have modded f/w but if you wanna bitset/book-type then you do. I personally like the modded f/w but that's me. I have this obsession with trying all the newest and bestest f/w out there. It doesn't always work better but I try it anyway. Of course I make sure to save the original f/w if possible. That includes all the drives that I update f/w on. I think that Lite-On and Sony/NEC/Optiarc have some of the best modded f/w btw. ;)

...gm

5. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

As far as performance I am really happy with my Plextor 800a. The only issues I have had have been with media and not the drive. That being said, to this date I have not found anyway to scan a disk with this drive. Nero CD/DVD speed doesn't support it and since it is not a true Plextor neither does does PlexTools. I think that I even read the drive itself is not capable of performing the task. That in consideration I still think it is good burner.

6. pieman

pieman Regular member

Im really happy with my pioneer 215 with standard firmware (ive ruine a few previously by buggering around with modded)but it wont co operate with nero dvd speed disc quality check, I have to rely on my BenQ 1650 for that.Another important feature for me is that the pioneer will rip discs that thrw up unreadable errors on my other burners...this is also important when considering the purchase of a new burner.But luckily theyre so cheap bar plextor you can afford a bad buy or two.I would like to know which burners will play ball with dvd speed....ive posted this request on the nero forum but no replies yet if anyone on this one can help!!

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

pieman....
    you might try version 4.7.5.0 and see what happens with your Pioneer when scanning discs. ;) IIRC Eric removed the Pioneers from scanning at the request of Pioneer starting with version 4.7.7.3 I think... :)

I have the Pioneer 112D@Pioneer 112L f/w 8.25 and it does very well. :D I've thought about the newer 215 and if I can find $30 laying around I may make another purchase. lol. Don't tell the wifey tho... hehehe

....gm

8. pieman

pieman Regular member

Hi GM, thanks for that, but i can only find 4.7.7.15.I had been using the version that came with nero 6 (6.6.0.16).Any pointers cos 47715 wont play either!thanks

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

go here and "hover" over the d/l's near the bottom left hand side of the page and see if you can get version "4.7.5.0". good luck .... :D

...gm

10. pieman

pieman Regular member

Superb.Yet again!!! many thanks:)

11. bengo

bengo Member

My Pioneer dvr 111d sucks, not recommended

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just because it sucks for you doesn't mean it sucks for everyone else. :p

So are you looking for another drive or just flaming Pioneer?? lol.

.....gm

13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I like how he just qualifies the previous statement, explains the inability to burn, play, or rip to certain types of media, how it makes coasters with consistant results, or whatever else doesn't work for him.
    What steps have you taken to reduce the "suckiness" of that drive?
    or, has it been abused and overused to the point of wearing out?

14. bengo

bengo Member

Lol, your right t point it out.
    It was touted as burns owt and bought because its dual layer. I bought some dual layer disks that appear in the compatible list on the most recent firmware - it thinks they are CD's.
    I also had problems with numerous single layer ones, can't remember what now.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOW that's better. lol.

So what do you want to do about your Pioneer?? I think there is some "patched" f/w for it.. but if you don't want to mess with it I understand. We can make many suggestions on new ODD's for you too!!! :)

...gm