1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need possible audio stream exclusion advice

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by amaze122, Jan 15, 2005.

1. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I am trying to copy "Steve Vai live at the Astoria: Disc 1". It is the biggest disc I have ever seen. In DvD Shrink, with an automatic compression rate of 58.3%, it is still 5,489mb! I can't adjust the menus or extras any further, and if I re-author, just the main title alone is 7,811 uncompressed, and 5,478 compressed to the max! So my only choice left is to maybe exclude some audio streams. I have never had to do this before, and I am not sure which streams I need for a good quality copy, and which are possibly extraneous. The choices are:
    LPCM 2-ch English = 1,557mb
    AC3 5.1-ch English = 452 mb
    AC3 2-ch English - Director's Comment = 194mb

If I leave out the LPCM, it fits great, with an acceptable rate of compression of 67.8%
    However, If I leave out either one or both of the other two, it doesn't even make a dent in the overall total!
    What should I do?

2. colw

colw Active member

Just use the AC3 5.1-ch English = 452 mb stream

Leave out the others.

3. Valomar

Valomar Member

I'm by no means an expert at this, but what I would do in this situation (although it seems anal, considering there are already more than one disc) is put it on 2 dvd-r's. If you can't/won't do this, you can remove the AC3 2.ch English - Director's Comment = 194mb, although this won't do a lot, and I believe (this means try it on dvd-rw first :D)you can remove the AC3 5.1-ch English = 452mb. The LPCM 2-ch English = 1,557mb sounds as though you cannot remove it without losing the sound from the dvd, and because it's Steve Vai, why would you want to do that? Hope it helped
    -Joel

4. Valomar

Valomar Member

That's what I get for multi-tasking, someone comes along and answers before I do, and I post without knowing that. If this guy (colw) knows what he's talking about, then apparently the ac3 audio has a much better compression rate, and all setups (including those that dont have surround sound) can play audio intended for surround sound.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You can always run it through Shrink a second time to compress further. I'd recommend keeping the LPCM because it should be the best sounding. AC3 will certainly give you better video quality, but since it's a lossy format the sound won't be as good. Presumably you got the disc for the music so it makes more sense to me to keep the highest quality audio stream and take whatever video quality you end up with.

6. amaze122

amaze122 Member

Hmmm. Vurbal, that sounds like the best advice, but it also sounds like a lot of compressing. Is there a guide out on how to cut this in half onto two dvd-r's, like Valomar suggested? And I hope this is not going to entail me converting this to Avi or Mpeg, then using VirtualDubMod or TMPGEnc or something to cut it, then re-converting it [bold]back[/bold] to dvd with some other program, because I think that would cause a massive loss of video quality, and while sound is indeed an issue, as you suggested, so is video quality. In fact if all that converting is indeed the only way, [bold]then[/bold] I [bold]will[/bold] take your suggestion, and just compress the hell out of it by compressing it twice....
    Edit: by the way, I do know that there is a splitting function within DvD Shrink, but I think it splits according to size, not performance, in other words it could split the disc right in the middle of one of Mr. Vai's solos...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you don't want to compress that much (and I personally agree with you on that) you can split discs with Shrink in Reauthor mode. You won't have working menus, but you'll keep the original video quality. To split this way click the Reauthor button at the top, drag the main movie title from the list on the right to the pane on the left and click the Set Start/End Frames button (the button with two arrows on it). The Set Start/End Frames window will appear and at the bpttom you can select the last chapter you want on disc 1. Click the Ok button and then on the main window click the Backup button and create the files/ISO or burn (however you use Shrink). You'll have to repeat this process a second time for disc 2, but instead of setting the end chapter you'll set the beginning chapter.

8. amaze122

amaze122 Member

Oh so [bold]that's[/bold] how that's done! Thanks, that does now appear to be the best option, and I can't wait to try it.. *<};-{o