1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need recommendation on bd-rom

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by HolyMole, Jul 31, 2011.

1. HolyMole

HolyMole Member

Hi all,

I wanted to hook up a bluray drive to my computer. In the nvidia control panel, it says that my monitor and gpu are hdcp compliant (and I believe that this along with Win7 are the only prerequisites to getting bd's to actually work on your computer). All the research kinda scares me in terms of firmware updates, or lack thereof, for bd drives. I wanted to know your experiences with bd drives and if there is any that can be recommended as I do not want to pay for something that will only play half the bluray discs out in the wild. I do have a standalone player already, but sometimes family doesn't care for the movies I pick on netflix, so I'd like to watch them alone on my computer.

Thanks

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Try the streaming option from Netflix. That is if the new pricing does not bother you.

OTH, I have a Lite-On iHBS112 drive in my pc and have been very happy with it. Firmware updates are no more difficult than on a dvd drive. I find my updates here:

http://www.firmwarehq.com/

Cheers.

3. HolyMole

HolyMole Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Newegg is a good company, often get stuff from them. Samsung seems to be a good company, I have a pc monitor and widescreen tv from them.

The product you list has good reviews and price seems good. Go for it.

5. HolyMole

HolyMole Member

Alrighty, purchased. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your help.