1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need serious help, out of ideas

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ironliver, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ironliver

ironliver Member

I bought a new burner a few months ago, and it worked perfectly. About 2 weeks ago it gave me my first coaster. Eversince then, pretty much every dvd I burn is trash. The burner is a Lite-On LH-18A1P. I also have a plain DVD drive installed too. When I backup a movie I put the movie in the non-burner and back it up with DVD Shrink (and AnyDVD when necessary). Then I burn at half speed which is 8x using Nero. Everything seems fine up to this point. I even verify the burn and it says it's good. But the discs will only play on the burner, but nothing else. Not the non-burner or my stand alone player. When put in the xbox 360, they will by recognized as a DVD movie but when I play them all I get is a black screen. Currently i'm using Memorex DVD+R. I don't know what's going on. It's brand new. And just 2 weeks ago, it was burning perfectly. The movies would play fine on my xbox 360. They would also play on both my non-burner and my stand alone player in the livingroom, both of which are old and extremely picky with burnt DVDs. Here is what I have ruled out.

1. Can't be the media cause I've burned a bunch of perfect dvds from the same pack.

2. Not the firmware. It's current (GL0G). I also reinstalled it.

3. It's not Nero. It's the current version. I also burned a couple with ImgBurn (which was also verified as OK after the burn) with the same effect.

4. I've changed the book type to dvd-rom on both programs. (New versions of nero apparently do it automaticly)

5. It's not because of the non-burner that I'm using to create the backups because I also tried backing up with the burner itself.

6. It's not the speed cause I alway's did half speed, and I also tried going down to 4x with no luck.

7. It's not DVD Shrink cause I've also tried backing up with DVDFab and still nothing.

That's all I could think of. I'd would say that the burner is just flat out broke except that the dvds play fine when they are in the burner, but nothing else. If anyone could help me, it would be great. Thanks.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Oh yes it can be. Not saying for sure that it is, but it definitely can be. I'd sure try another brand. Try Verbatim or Sony. Most times, when a standalone player won't play a copy, especially one that's booktyped to DVD Rom, it's a media problem. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the ones that burned ok, won't be watchable 6 months to a year from now.

Most of us regulars here, try to tell everyone how sorry Memorex discs are, but they still buy them, because they're cheap. You get what you pay for............. Even if another brand don't fix the immediate problem, in the future, you need to use something other than Memorex, TDK, Khypermedia, and most store brands. Verbatim or Sony, from local stores. Taiyo Yuden, from online. Don't let a few extra cents, keep you from getting good burns...........
    Good luck!

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

JVC gave you a good advise!~ go to online stores and buy the good stuff (supermediastore.com, meritline.com, rima.com,etc.) buy Made In Japan disks! then you can actually say when something goes wrong, "It can't be the media!" Taiyo Yuden is the brand to get! using that brand I have yet to get a coaster that was due to the media since I joined AfterDawn over 2 yrs ago and over 3 thousand burns!

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Logic would point to either a change in the drive or an inadvertent change in a setting. (Prejudice would blame the media--but if the drive or setting is a problem, all discs would perform just as badly.) The fact that the discs play on the recording drive indicates that video has been recorded in some format or another, and the drive recognizes it. There are cases where a drive may have a misaligned optical head(s) that allow recording and playback on that particular device, but the misalignment puts the information out of spec for all other properly aligned devices. That is extremely rare, but possible.

If the non-burner (you mean DVD-ROM drive?) could play the disc also, but not the X-Box or a player, then the files being recorded are more likely to be in a format that does not conform to the DVD standard. Since the non-burner cannot play the discs either, that means that the Lite-On is doing something or failing to do something required for recognition by other drives/players, some using identical playback software files while others are restricted to DVD Forum specifications. The most common case for that kind of situation is a failure to finalize the disc. The original recorder knows what to do with it because it has saved the information in order to finish the disc at some point. All other recorders or drives will fail to play such a disc because the table of contents and the lead-out are missing.

I would go over your settings in Nero to see if all the settings are correct. "Burn video files" usually automatically makes all the settings correct, but recording video as data leaves little things like multi-session choices open, causing lots of problems for people who don't catch these multiple choices.

5. ironliver

ironliver Member

Thanks for the advise. You guys get really hyped up when people buy cheap media. You'll really wanna hit me when I tell you I actually bought Office Max brand before. I really can't one half of the pack to be fine and the other half all total trash, but I guess it could be possible. I'm almost out anyway, so I'll give the Taiyo Yuden's a try. They're actually cheaper than most of the sales at the stores, I just hate waiting for deliveries. But for the mean time, while I wait for the UPS man to get to my house, let's say the media is not the problem. JoeRyan, I do select "burn video files", but just incase, I went ahead and uninstalled Nero, used Clean Tools, reinstalled, and double checked the settings. No luck. You said the drive could be failing to do something, like properly finalize the disc. Is there any way to find out what that something could be? And with the rare misalignment, would something like that just come from the factory like that, or could it really just happen out of nowhere? What about Lite-On customer service, you think they would be any help? Haven't tried them yet, but I doubt it, because it customer service was helpful, there wouldn't be so many forums for everything. Or should I just assume that I'm getting a new drive and take this one apart and go Frankenstien on it and pray for an accidental fix?

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Ironliver....... I would try the easiest way to go first.... and that's the media route! then if that doesn't work you can inspect your drive more closely! but I really think it's the media since:
    if it worked before with no problems I don't see it suddenly going wrong! unless you have kids and they tried to stuff the drive with food or something! like my son did with my first VCR in the 80s! LOL

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Try this. Go to Device Manager, find the drive, right click-> Uninstall then reboot.

8. ironliver

ironliver Member

Just wanted to update. Got the Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs in the mail yesterday and I'll be damned, they worked perfectly. It was the media the whole time. I'm ashamed the I was skeptical about the media advise and I won't make that mistake again, or buy cheap media. Thanks again.

9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@ironliver
    I would suggest burning at slower speeds...I never burn beyond 4X...even with 16x media...You will get a better rip at the slower speed...

I was having a similar problem with some of my latest rips...slowed the burn down to 4x...no more problem with the stand alone playing them...

I use to follow the rule "Burn at half the speed the media is rated at"...I have now added "Never burn beyond 4X regardless of rating"

This was with TY media...I only use TY's...

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

here is another rule to live by..... reset your booktyping to DVD-ROM! Now if you want to totally make your +R media compatible to most DVD players.... here read all about it and see if you can booktype you drive to DVD-ROM: http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well that just means you are using the wrong media for your burner. One size does not fit all. I might burn at a slower speed, but if you can't get decent burns at the media's rated speed that means you have a bad media to burner match.

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@MysticE
    I only use TY's Premium Line from SMS...So it's not Media...I use lite-on burners with the latest firmware...The only change I made was 16X media burned at 4X...instead of 8X or 16X...You only save about 3min burning at 8X verse 4X...so time is not really a factor to me...I can wait the extra minutes...

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Whatever media you use, my point was that if don't get decent burns at the rated speed... that media is not a good match for your burner or there are other factors involved with your computer, regardless of how good the media is supposed to be. I've found that the 16X TY's did not produce good burns at 16X, rather than slow them (except to use the spindle) I now use the 8Xs, which produce nice burns at their rated speed. The 16X Verbs produce excellent results at 16X on my drive, a very good media to burner match.

If you were to peruse the burner reviews at CDFeaks you would see that many burners with the correct media produce excellent results at their rated speeds. Whatever burn speed you choose is your preference, but using media that does burn properly at it's rated speed is not the ideal starting point.

14. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ironliver,
    glad to see you got it all sorted out.

and i would like to add that more than half of the porblems(questions) on this site and any other site is because of media. and you had to learn the hard way like i did and soooo many other, and thats why members on this site dont recommend media like Memorex, Imation, TDK.

15. Galbin

Galbin Guest

I've been burned some by the burning speed over the years, too, since Nero's default is the disk's rated speed!

I would think the horsepower of your system also plays a role. To get a reliable burn at 16x, you might need state of the art equipment.

I usually let Nero do a verification after each burn, and by watching the speed of the verification, you can get some idea of the capacity of your system. My setup verifies at around 12x, so to be on the safe side, I will burn only at 6x.

16. oldslow

oldslow Member

try this: Device manager- ide ata/atapi controllers- double click primary ide channel- advanced settings tab- transfer mode dma if available. check currant trans. mode, if pio uninstall primary ide channel then reboot it should fix itself.

17. oldslow

oldslow Member

oops i missed the part where it was the media- damn my poor scrolling habits.