1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice for modding my v9 PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by animal27, Nov 21, 2004.

1. animal27

animal27 Member

Hi there,

I was looking at getting my Australian (PAL?) PS2 v9 modded in some way or another to do the following
    1.play psx backups
    2.play original japanese imports for psx and PS2
    3.play multi region dvds (this doesn't matter as much)

I was looking at the fliptop cover ....but I have a friend flying somehwere tommorow where I can get it mod chipped so which could be better?

with swap magic ..do I need 3.2 for PAL? Or only 3.0?
    there is a package that has swap magic and the slide tool ..would I be better to get this and get the flip top as well?

Also I read that to play psx backups with the flip top you need a game shark cd ...if you used swap magic ..could you use a backup of a game shark or only the original?

thanks guys!

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

if your going to go the swap magic route, get the fliptop. to play ps1 backups, you either need to BUY breaker pro or BUY a ps1 gameshark (burnt copies won't work). A mod chip would be better, like a dms4 or matrix infinity.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  3. animal27

animal27 Member

Would I need swap magic 3.0 or 3.2? My PS2 is PAL I think (australian)
    Is the gameshark 1 still availible? Also how reliable is the fliptop for V9? I searched a few post's and it seemed like a few people have problems

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i have a fliptop for my v9 and it works great. either 3.0 or 3.2 will work. they just came out with 3.3, so you might want to get that.

5. animal27

animal27 Member

Thanks!
    One more question ...will the fliptop/swap magic allow me to play original import psx games? Also can you still play regular psx games when converting to fliptop? I can't see why not but just checking....

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you can play original psx games, but to play backups, you would need to buy breaker pro also.

7. animal27

animal27 Member

I think I might have confused you cause I din't really word the question well ..but I was wondering if swap magic would do psx imports ...I found the page and it says
    Q. Does Swap Magic work with PSX backup and/or import games?
    A. Pure and simple NO! The Swap Magic Discs are designed to give the best possible performance for PlayStation2 games only. PSX games has not been considered at all in the development, and will not be in the future! To play PSX backups, you will need another backup solution, and should not choose the Slide-Tool.

Did psx original imports work for you?

But what was cool is I found this

http://www.ps2ownz.com/index.php?s=c2cc351ff7fd07fd1da51e515ab719b8

a no solder DMS4!!!! Looks pretty good ..What do you think?

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

an psx import is treated like a backup game, so you would still need breaker pro. I also seen the no solder dms chip, it does look cool, but i wonder how much it will be.