1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some advice re: hd advance and my ps2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kiddk1, Nov 9, 2004.

1. kiddk1

kiddk1 Member

Hello, I have been doing some reading and just have some questions, I have a ps2 modded with the apple mod chip, backups work great. I now am looking into the HDD with the hd advance 2.0. I would like to go with a 200gb unit. if I am correct I can just buy the hd advance 2.0 and then just pick up a HDD on sale from best buy or CC. is there anything else I should know before buying. thank you.

2. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

Once you have a network adaptor

3. pirkster

pirkster Member

Also make sure you get the right TYPE of hard drive: "standard" or ultra ATA. Serial ATA will not work.

Some brands do not work as well as others. Some will not work because they will not fit inside the playstation hd expansion bay, and others will not work because they cannot plug into the adapter correctly.

The majority of users (myself included) have been most successful using Maxtor drives.

4. kiddk1

kiddk1 Member

thanks, I already have a network adapter, I just realized I have an extra 200gb seagate laying around, will seagate work?

5. pirkster

pirkster Member

Not sure. Someone had a "hard drive compatability chart" I remember seeing on someone's website, but I can't remember what site it was. Do a google search and try combing through your results.

You can do a quick check yourself by simply plugging the drive into your adapter. That would tell you if the power and data connections are good. You'll have to remove the expansion bay and insert the drive into your ps2 to be sure it fits there, but I have heard of people using Seagate without problems.

There's more information on how to install the product at ps2nfo.com. Just poke around an you'll find a FAQ for PS2 HDD. Good luck!

6. kiddk1

kiddk1 Member

thanks much.

7. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

I recommend HD Loader instead of HD Advance because the that group that came out with HD advance just basily took HD loader and the tools that the PS2Owz Group came out with and bundled it. snf PS2Ownz group is allways improving HD Loader and you can also with a little work get the HD Loader on you memcard so you won't need the Disc but its some work to do that.

8. kiddk1

kiddk1 Member

thanks, too late I already ordered the advance, only because 2.0 supports 200gb. thanks again.

9. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

Well you can allways find a copy of HD loader if your system is moded you can boot that too. If you intrested PM me and I'll see what I can do to help you get it quickly.