1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Some ADVICE

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Mudvayne, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

I just installed a Magic 3.1, and now my PS2 will only Boot Original PS2 games. It won't boot original PS1 games. Have Any idea what i did wrong??

2. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

are you putting it in PS1 mode before you boot them?

Put it in PS1 mode by starting in standby, holding down the reset button until the blue eject light comes on, then reset the reset button and it should boot your PS1 game. Same for DVDs.

3. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

I just went and tried that and the red screen still came up. My PS2 will play PS2 DVD and CD Originals and Original DVD movies. But that's it. Thanks for you help!

4. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

5. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

this is what i have tried:
    PS2 Original DVD and CD (worked)
    PS1 Original (got red screen)
    PS2 Back up CD (simspons Skateboarding) (got red screen)
    DVD movie (worked)
    DVD Movie back up (got red screen)

Again, thanks for your help!

6. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

You can use a digital multimeter to test if you installed your modchip correctly.

You want to test for two things: Good connections and lack of bridges.

For testing good connections, you have a red wire and a black wire on the multimeter. Black is ground. Put black on the copper edge around the PS2 motherboard. Tough your solder points (the wire or solder, not the point) with the red. If the resistance is low (something close to 0) you've made a connection.

For testing bridged connections, just put the black/ground cable on nearby components which you worry might have been bridged. Put the red cable on the solder point/wire. The resistance should be high. Most of mine were something like 100 million. If there's a connection with a low resistance, you've got a bridged connection there. Use some desoldering braid to pick up the solder and resolder more precisely, not bridging that connection.

After you've tested all your points and after you've fixed everything so that your multimeter tells you you're the man, either A) your PS2 will work or B) you've got some sort of hardware problem that's gotta be dealt with. A is far more likely. Go for it.

P.s. This is the multimeter I used during my testing:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...y_name=CTLG_008_002_001_000&product_id=22-218

Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  7. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

I went out today and bought a Multimeter. I'll try looking for bridges and checking connections. I'll let you know what i find. Thanks for ALL of your HELP!!!

8. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

THANKS T-Minus!!!!! I got my PS2 working. I checked everything that you told me to, and found the problem. The only problem is that the PS2 doesn't play DVD movie back ups, but it never played them before i put the mod chip in. Thanks Again!!!!