1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some guidance ..on a Mac

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by masturnad, Feb 7, 2004.

1. masturnad

masturnad Member

Hey, im pretty much a noob to this, and i was hoping someone could help me. I have a mac that is running OSX and a pc that is running WinXP. The problem i have is that only my mac has the dvd burner, and the pc doesnt. If anyone could give me the names of some programs i could use on my pc, so that i can still burn using my mac...or if there is a way to do it on the mac itself. Thank you in advance

2. awarlock

awarlock Member

I assume you are trying to make a copy of a DVD or get a movie off of a DVD in DVD format. Just use your Mac!! It is a piece of cake.

Use DVDBackup 1.3 to make a copy of the DVD on your hard drive. The program is free. Just do a search for it. This program also removes all encryption on the DVD. Save the process to a folder.

Then use DVD2OneX. Do a search. You may have to buy this one but it is well worth it. Read the read me file. Select the folder/movie that you decrypted with DVDBackup and pick your audio. Process the file to a folder. You end up with a VIDEO_TS file and an AUDIO_TS file. Generally, name the folder the same as the DVD you are copying, all CAPS.

Select DVD-ROM in Toast Titanium 6.0. Drag your folder to Toast and burn away!! This is a rather simplistic explanation of the procedure which takes about 2 hrs. or so depending on your computer and DVD burner.

3. masturnad

masturnad Member

using the above method..do i maintain all of the menus and extra's when i extract? or are they done away with>>

4. robguy

robguy Member

5. awarlock

awarlock Member

If you do a disk copy, you will maintain the menus, etc. I've used Disk Copy on some animated films that are shorter in length and it worked great!! All menus, everything were retained. If you do Film, I honestly have not tried to maintain the menus with that yet so I do not know if that will work. Maybe someone else can answer the that question.

6. Londor

Londor Guest

Using DVD2oneX you can choose to either compress just the film ( use a variable ratio to get the best results ) or the whole DVD keeping all the menus and other stuff ( use a constant ratio ). It will work great in both cases but you have to think that you are compressing to around 4.3GB, so the bigger the original file is the more you need to compress it ( loosing quality in the process ). Anyway just try to compress the whole DVD and if you are not happy with the quality just go for the film. Hope it helps.

7. macfool

macfool Member

How do you compress the info?

So far reading these threads has been very helpful, thanks 2 everyone! -j