1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some help on this please

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by mattkaz, Mar 20, 2005.

1. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

ok i currently have swap magic dvd 2.0 and cd 3.0 and a slide card, but i can't get it working! do they have problems known? i tried burning a dvd using nero's dvd copy method were it burns and image then tells you to insert a blank dvd and it burns that. i need some help. i've been reading and it seems like there is many ways to burn dvd backups but i don't know which one to follow, if you guys think my burning is the problem please direct me to the easiest way to burn one.

2. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

Ok here's a really simple way to burn

1. Download DVD Decrypter
    2. Create a folder on your C: drive to save to
    3. Insert the disc you wish to copy.
    4. Start DVD Decrypter
    5. Go to Mode: ISO: Read
    6. Select the folder you just created
    7. Click on the decrypt button at bottom of screen
    8. When saving to hard drive is done take the game out
    9. Put in a blank DVD+/-R
    10 Go to Mode: ISO: Write
    11.Click on the decrypt button at bottom of screen
    12. When finished take disc out and test it...

Too Easy

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  3. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

4. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

ok i'm gonna try this and let you know.

5. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

i have version 1-3, is my problem that i'm using dvd+r?

6. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Yes, that is a problem, switch to -r.

7. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

damn i've been going crazy but i'm gonna buy some -r now. but i tried making a mame cd with some roms on it and using the swap cd version but to no luck, do you need a mod chip for that one?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

i would agree with mini_mod's instructions. I just added some clearification for new users.
    . Download DVD Decrypter
    2. Create a folder on your C: drive to save to
    3. Insert the disc you wish to copy.
    4. Start DVD Decrypter
    5. Go to Mode: ISO: Read
    6. Select the folder you just created using the destination folder icon on DVD Decrypter to browse
    7. Click on the decrypt button at bottom of screen
    8. When saving to hard drive is done take the game out
    9. Put in a blank DVD+/-R
    10 Go to Mode: ISO: Write
    11. go to folder icon on DVD Decrypter again and browse for the MDS file it just created.
    12.Click on the decrypt button at bottom of screen
    13. When finished take disc out and test it...

9. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

Thanks for the additional info steimy, I kinda forgot after I started typing that he needed exact instructions. I burn so much its second nature to me.
    Good lookin' out.

Now I just want to know if it worked for him/her....

10. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

i just bought some dvd-r and am gonna burn it tonight, i'll let you know.

11. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

it didn't work at all.

12. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Go in depth and tell us the exact process you are using (when burning the game and also when using your swap magic). What game are you trying to back up? What discs are you are using? Are you sure on the version ps2 you have? If not check here: http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/ps2version.htm

13. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

i copied manhunt on a imation dvd-r. i'm using magic swap 2.0 on my ps2 v.1-3, i'm also using a slide card. i burnt it and then loaded my swap disc then used the slide card to take out the tray and put in my backup then manually pushed the tray back in and pressed x and it just freezes and the edges turn red. on that site you gave me to check my ps2 version it says the thing that are compatable and it says Magic 3.1 PLUS as one of the options, is my version non compatable with my older ps2? also if i were to get a mod chip like the messiah 2 would that play everything i ever wanted to make?

14. steimy

steimy Active member

You may even want to try some media better than Imation, i have used a few of them in the past and they are hit or miss. In fact my copy of Manhunt happens to be on an Imation disc and it works, but has a few glitches in it. And the PS2 i have, V7, doesn't seem to like the Imation discs as well as the TDK or Phillips discs i now use. The method you use to load them is correct, as i am sure you know if you play other back ups and they work.
    Also what speed are the imation discs (2X,4X,8X)
    and what speed are you setting DVD Decrypter to when you burn to a disc, and what is the actual write speed.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  15. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

yeah this is killing me since i have never gotten my swap magic to play a backup once. i was burning everyting at either 2x or maybe 4x. i somehow think its my playstation that's messing everything up, too old? also what about "that site you gave me to check my ps2 version it says the thing that are compatable and it says Magic 3.1 PLUS as one of the options, is my version non compatable with my older ps2? also if i were to get a mod chip like the messiah 2 would that play everything i ever wanted to make? "

16. steimy

steimy Active member

Mod chips are a great thing, but make sure you do your homework before you buy one. Some still require you to use swap magic to play imports & backups anyway. And make sure either you or someone you know REALLY knows how to solder. you will have 15-17 tiny wires that need to be soldered onto the motherboard and if you screw it up, your PS2 is shot.

I have a slim PSTwo with a DMS4 Pro chip in it and i love it. But i bought my console pre modded because i don't trust myself to solder in all those tiny wires.
    It came with ToxicOS installed on it which means no swapping required, i just put in my back up and it plays just like an original.
    i got it at www.xmodd.com for $315 shipped, which is expensive but cheaper than a lot of other online stores are selling them for.

17. mattkaz

mattkaz Member

yeah there's a store i know around my area that will mod you ps2 with a messiah 2 for $125, i might do it.