1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED SOME HELP SORTING MY LAPTOP BAD !!!

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by scotty132, Jan 16, 2007.

1. scotty132

scotty132 Member

AT OUR SCHOOL, THE PUPILS TAKING THE COURSE I AM TAKING HAVE TO PAY FOR A LAPTOP.OH YES GREAT A LAPTOP IN SCHOOL WELL NO ! AS THIS LAPTOP IS MAINLY USED INSIDE SCHOOL THE SCHOOL DECIDES WHAT GOES ON THE LAPTOP. I DONT LIKE WHAT IS ON THERE. I HAVE NO CHANCE TO DO ANYTHING, EVRYTHING IS RESTRICTED TO ADMIN ONLY. SOME SITES, THE CONTROL PANNEL, NO ACCESS TO THE HARDDRIVE, CANT EVEN CHANGE THE TIME. IS THERE A WAY I CAN TURN THIS LAPTOP INTO A NORMAL ONE. COMPLETELY WIPE IT AND GO BACK TO NEW OR SOMETHING. THEY ARE NEVER CHECKED SO THEY WONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. I HAVE TRIED USING A DIFFERENT HARDDRIVE BUT IT WOULDNT BOOT CAN ANYONE HELP ME ??

PLEASE ANYTHING WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

CHEERS

2. Karma50

Karma50 Member

You need to get a OS disk you can boot from. I am almost positive than any OS X disk is bootable (even the upgrades). If you already have one, you might be able to find an extra copy on a torrent site. But I am not exactly sure how you can make sure it is a bootable disk. You also need to figure out if your laptop can read DVDs (as opposed to only CDs) because I think at least 10.4 only comes on a DVD these days. You also might be able to find an legit older OS version (like 10.2 or something) on eBay for pretty cheap.

Then you put the disk in the drive and reboot holding down the "C" button (I think?) If the C-key doesn't work, hold down the option key when booting and it will let you select what disk you want to use. Pick the OS disk and when the OS installer starts you can should be able to go to one of the pull down menus at the top to go to the Disk Utility. From here you can erase the Hard Drive. then go back to the installer and install the OS from scratch.

REMEMBER, by reformatting you are losing EVERYTHING on your computer. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. But as long as your save all your documents on another drive or disk and you don't care about any of the programs or anything you should be good.

I don't know any reason this would not work. I would think any security controls would be on the software level, and would completely go away with a reformat. I am pretty confident that there is no ability to constrict actions within the OS from the Firmware (Mac-speak for BIOS) which would be the only thing that you are not erasing.

Good Luck

3. scotty132

scotty132 Member

thanks, i done exactly what you siad and i now have a laptop that i am able to use. there was so much restricted on this laptop it is was unbelievable !!

cheers again

4. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

thats stupid

if you have to purchase the laptop you should have control over it not the school

5. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

yeah that is stupid, tho i wonder what they were locking it down with? and with all the sucrity why no open-firmware password?