1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help troubleshooting new install

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by BTex68, Nov 27, 2007.

1. BTex68

BTex68 Member

Hey, Installed a wiikey last night and haven't been able to read any disks.
    I am running 3.1u. Not sure what chipset I have(I should have looked when it was open i know) but I bought the wii last february.

The install went flawlessly surprising the shit out of myself.
    But it won't read the 1.9g update disk or the 1.9b. It won't read the 1.3 disk.
    I didn't try any other burned disks.

My original games run fine, my settings save and everything runs normally as if it was never modded.

Where do I begin to troubleshoot this?
    I'd like to assume the soldering is fine, so lets start there.
    I bought it at Modchipcentral.com. could it be a clone? they are listed as a reseller.

Any help is appreciated.

2. VGM

VGM Member

your burnt dvds. are they on dvd-r. are you filechoping the setup files to fit the dvd? at what speed are you burning the dvds? x4 or higher? make sure you Wii can use the wiikey. open it up and check the chip. also check the solder points. if its all good im assuming its a dvd/burning issue. clones work fine. I have one and im playing SMG with it.

VGM out...

3. BTex68

BTex68 Member

Yes DVD-R, memorex brand. I'm using lite-on dvdrw.
    Yes I filechopped, I burnt a few at 8 then read that most people burn slow at 2x or 4x. so I did that. Tried Nero and Imgburn.
    Got an error when i first tried imgburn on my desktop and figured I found the reason nero didn't work. I burned it on my laptop and got no error. wii still couldn't read it.

Question: if you screw up the solder job is it possible for the wii to still function properly?

I was originally thinking I must have done it right if the wii still functioned properly with playing originals and saving settings.
    Now the more I've read I'm not sure.

I'll open it later and report back with the chip. What were people getting back in february? Someone said anything before june should work.

4. brido84

brido84 Regular member

Yes

You might of, 3.1 made it harder to access/update the WiiKey, you should try the GCOS method from the thread below before you pull out your WiiKey and reinstall it.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/589738

This might be of some help as well read through them both.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/566540

I know the journey through the first one is long but the answers you seek are contained within these sacred threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I hope)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  5. BTex68

BTex68 Member

that's what I was looking for. I just want to exhaust all options before opening it back up.

thanks
    there is a ton of information to sift though. Last night i read till my vision got blurry.

6. BTex68

BTex68 Member

Just following up. I tried a couple things from that link and nothing worked so I opened it up and found a broken connection. bloops *redface
    It was the one right in the corner too. It came free from the wii board. The worst place possible since I was hoping to fix it without undoing the whole thing.
    Fixed that in about 30 seconds, closed it up, tried the 1.9g, it updated. Tried the 1.3 alone and it didn't work. Tried one packed up with GCOS that a member made and that worked.
    Tried excite truck backup and that worked.
    Now off to check SMG and a bunch of others

Thanks for the help!