1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need suggestions on what to buy

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by asrgames, May 3, 2012.

1. asrgames

asrgames Regular member

I'm building myself a new PC in the next few months and I need some help/suggestions on what parts to choose from. I haven't built a PC in about 12 years, and I'm a little nervous about picking out all the parts myself. I know a lot has changed so I would like all the input I can get. The PC is gonna be used for playing games and watching some movies. 99% - Games. 1% - Movies.

I mostly play RPG's and RTS games. The only FPS games I play are Horror FPS, if when they come out. E.G., DOOM, Penumbra, FEAR, etc..
    I'm mostly building this so I can play Diablo III at max, so keep that in mind.

I'm looking to spend between $800 - $1200 (probably more)

I really want to be able to upgrade later when necessary, I don't want a mobo that will be at the end of it's life span when I buy it.

Now for the parts:

Monitor - I'm not really worried to much about this as I'm most likely gonna use my HDTV, but still, it doesn't hurt to have some choices.

Case - Type, Brand, Material, anything and everything that you can think of. I don't care how big of case either.

Cooling - Heatsinks and fans, or water cooling.

Motherboard - Which brand is the best. I've always heard Asus was the best for quality. I need a decent amount of USB ports as I have 4 external HDDs.

CPU - AMD or Intel. I want unbiased suggestions if at all possible.

Memory - This I'm not too sure on, my last computer had RDRAM.... so yeah. I've heard that Corsair makes the best quality RAM. Also, how much RAM should I have? I've heard anywhere between 4GB - 16GB depends on what your doing with the PC.

Graphics Card - ATI or Nvidia. Same here, unbiased suggestions. Which manufacturer makes the best card.

Sound Card - I have absolutely no idea on this. I use headphones for the most part, but I do have a nice 5.1 system I might want to connect to it.

HDD - I won't buy anything but WD, if you could recommend me a good HDD from them.

DVD-Rom/Burner - Don't care as long as it doesn't explode when I put a disc in.

Blu-Ray Drive/Burner - Same here. No exploding.

Mouse - I want a good gaming mouse. Something that has a lot of hot keys on mouse but is also comfortable.

Keyboard - Same here, need a good one for gaming.

MISC - Anything else I forgot.

Well, that's it. Any suggestions would be awesome.

thanks in advance

2. asrgames

asrgames Regular member

Anyone?