1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to compress xvid (not as zip but as avi itself)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by mpager, Apr 29, 2007.

1. mpager

mpager Member

Hi,
    In another thread The_OGS said "WinRAR will compress an AVI to approx. ~98% of its size (it is already heavily compressed)....." but this is not what I want, anyhow.

I have avi files which may not be avis. They can be viewed by Windows Media Player 10 but virtualDub (and others) say it isn't an avi file.
    Anyhow, as far as i know it's an xvid file (w/ OggVorbis). And I would like to know how to turn this series of 200mg 'avi' files into smaller 'avi' files.
    Or NanDub doesn't identify them as avis maybe I would need software to make them into avis.
    thank you

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You have avi's that might not be avi's? Either it is or it isn't. That's like saying that you have a green shirt that may not be green.

Sounds like you have an ogm file. So try VirtualDubMod. Be careful with the audio though since avi can't handle vorbis audio (there are some ways to do it, but it isn't a good idea and VDubMod doesn't support it anyway). So you will probably want to convert to say mp3.

As for making the files smaller, they are probably already heavily compressed. Making them smaller will probably have a fairly significant quality impact.

3. mpager

mpager Member

HI

You would think so isn't it. re: "You have avi's that might not be avi's? Either it is or it isn't. That's like saying that you have a green shirt that may not be green." I would say that it looks like a t-shirt, feels like a t-shirt but somehow my computer-washing machine somehow thinks that it may be a sweater.
    The extension is avi, all players play it. But only software like nandub say it isn't. So yes, you may be right it may not be an avi but i can't identify what else it may be (more than one).
    Thanks for the virtualDubMod tip. I had tried it but it crashed all the time, with 5 different files mentioned.

As to making them smaller. They aren't that heavily compressed, they are 15 minute videos. And what I was thinking of doing is basically editing stuff out (which i've done in the past with nandub and virtual dub with no discernable loss in quality.
    Anyhow, thanks for the help. Truly appreciated.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You could try avidemux. It is similar to VDub and also supports ogm's. Unlike VDub it uses internal decoders/encoders though so maybe it won't crash?

You could also try something like GSpot or MediaInfo to verify that they are ogm's.

5. mpager

mpager Member

thanks for the avidemux suggestion