1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to get an FTP started up

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by broc455, May 1, 2007.

1. broc455

broc455 Regular member

hey i don't know if this is the appropraite place to put FTP questions but anyway, how do i setup an FTP i don't wanna know how to manage it or asking my adminastrator i want it in plain simple english on how to make an FTP for my work without paying a single cent and not having to tslk to any company thing.
    how do I?

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

FTP Beginners Guides. This site will give you all of the information that you need to understand about FTP.

You will need a FTP Client and you can find many free online. Here is a link to one that you could use. Link

Hope that helps.

3. broc455

broc455 Regular member

yer tis is a FTP client i need my own FTP server (is tat clear enough?)

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Build one or buy one. Why are you asking about FTP if you do not even have a server to run an FTP Client on?

Peace

5. broc455

broc455 Regular member

hey man look i just wanted to set on up not to manage it k? so what else can i do?

6. broc455

broc455 Regular member

or aftually how do i build one

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, for the most part any computer can be a server. You will need to have at least 1/2 Gig of memory (512 Mb) and a Server OS.

There are many different ways to set up a server in a business. My personal favorite is using the server as a Proxy. This will mean that you will need two Ethernet cards. One is set for internal access and the other is set for external access. Using this method you will also need ISA Management (or something similar) used to rout the computers that are patched through a hub to the external card. The Proxy server sets the IP address for each computer for you.

When you set up a server like this each computer will have to be mapped to the server. You will have Admin access which allows all, and then you may set parameters for each client that is networked. In essence, you do not want everyone to access everything on the server. Some clients may not have access to run programs from the server but are merely connected for the use of the internet.

Basically there is always a little bit of troubleshooting that needs to take place to get everything working properly. You have to pay attention to OS's like XP Home Edition. XP Home does not have full capacity to network to a server. This holds true for many home based OS's. In many cases you may want to upgrade each computer to an OS with the capacity for networking.

now even though I said that, it is still possible to network these other computers to the server, they will just not be able to run programs from the server. The clients will still have full internet capability.

So what it all boils down to is: What type on network are you trying to establish? What client computer OS's are you working with? How many computers are you trying to network to the server? Do all of the computers need access to the FTP Client on the server?

You need to draw up a basic plan of what you want, and then proceed from there. Remember one other thing. If you network through a Proxy as I described above, each machine may have to download a winsock for their e-mail clients. This can be found on the server. Basically, once the computer is networked you can go to the C: drive on the server to access the winsock and download it to each machine.

Networking can be very fun if you are a patient person. Remember that obstacles will get in your way, so don't expect it to be a one day project if you are networking 10 computers!

8. broc455

broc455 Regular member

well i'm just networking one computer actually as a backup for work and all tat. if it helps my OS is XP PRO so tat will prob have network capability. so i no it might be a bit anoying to you but it would be nice if you could write me a beginners step by step guide to linking up one computer to FTP for backup from other computers.

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Let's see if I can explain this!

First the server:
    You will need to build or buy a machine. My suggestion is that you build one, but if you do not know how to build a computer then you can buy any machine to put server software on. Make sure the machine that you buy has minimum 512Mb of memory. You will need an additional Ethernet card for the server. You will need ISA Management software as use for both a firewall and to allow and disallow access to and from your server.

After you set up your OS you will need to configure one Ethernet adapter as internal and one as external. I normally change the names of the adapters to configure what is what.

Internal card: You will need to set the IP address to this card to be something like 192.168.1.1 and this is the address used for mapping the other computers to your server.

External card: This IP is normally set to the main IP provided by your service provider. In most cases you will have to have static connection. If you do not, then make sure you have a router with clone mac address feature before you go to the modem. This will work in most cases. Please note that I said most cases!

The next thing to do is set up your ISA management and install all filters that need to apply. Because this is a very sophisticated firewall, you will need to apply both incoming and outgoing filters for PPPoE, IEEE, SMTP, etc. If something is not working correctly we can troubleshoot that later.

Now make sure that you have access to the Internet. As long as the sever has access then when you connect the other Ethernet cards to the main Internal card that you set the IP address up as 192.168.1.1 they should have access. You will need to make a new connection to access your server IP. From their the server will act as a Proxy allowing the computer access to the Internet via the ISA management you installed.

Mapping the computer to the drive you will need to remember a couple of things. One the computer is now going to be part of a network so there are a couple of changes that you will have to make. I will go into this in a little more detail later if you wish, but the first priority is getting the server set up and running.

You will need an FTP server running from the server. XP pro comes with an FTP client, but many people like a graphical user interface. I have seen a few FTP servers that are free, but they can range in price from 50 to 600 bucks.

Let me know if this information was any help in getting you started.