1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to get RID of subtitles. (DVD Decrypter)

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by MissMage, Jan 8, 2008.

1. MissMage

MissMage Member

Okay, I'm new at this so bear with me. I'm not even sure if this is the proper place to post this. But anyway...

So I'm using DVD Decrypter to rip a DVD to my hardrive. Everything works fine except for one thing. The ripped video file displays subtitles, despite the fact that I unchecked subtitles in the stream processing (I'm ripping in IFO mode.)

How would I go about getting rid of the subtitles? Am I screwing up some step in the ripping process?

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Are those the regular subtitles( the ones you can remove using your DVD player's remote), or forced subtitles that you are having trouble with?

3. MissMage

MissMage Member

I'm thinking they must be forced subtitles.

Once I ripped the file (It's an episode from a TV show DVD) I renamed the file extension to .mepg so I could play it on WMP. It played, but subtitles were playing with it. I went to the WMP settings and it said that subtitles were off...plus, wouldn't unchecking them from the processing stream thing make it so the DVD rips without the subtitles?

So, yes. I'm thinking they are forced.

4. roryks

roryks Member

I'm envious. I can't for the life of me get my subtitles to SHOW! What are you doing to get the subtitles to show up?

I know it's not very helpful to your question, but I'm at my wit's end.

5. MissMage

MissMage Member

I dunno! I'm doing everything I can to NOT get them to show up. They're just stuck!

Please somebody who knows this shit, help!

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It appears it is the way you ripped the movie with DVD Decrypter. Does the movie have any parts where they speak a foreign language? Usually those parts have forced subtitles. If you rip the DVD without the regular(removable) subs, the DVD structure can get messed up and you get subs displayed all the time.Subtiles take so little space, one should not even bother removing them. If you do that, with some software and some movies, you will run into troubles having the subs always on.
    You can reauthor the movie with PgcEdit, or rip it again. If you want movie only(i am thinking that's why you chose IFO MODE), you can do it also in File Mode, or with DVD Shrink. Since this title gives you problems, rip with the subtitles, and turn them off as you wish.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic269383.html

@roryks

What programs are you using and can't get the subs to show?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  7. MissMage

MissMage Member

No the show has no foreign language parts in it.

So what you're saying is, by unchecking subtitles, I've added subtitles? I've tried ripping it with everything on it, including subtitles and the same thing happens...

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hmm...I don't know, in that thread from videohelp.com seemed they had the same problem as you, and the explanation seemed to make sense, and they found a good fix. The other thing that I can think of is that your subtitles actually migh be hardcoded. The original DVD, did you play it? Are the subtitles forced also, or can you turn them off?

9. MissMage

MissMage Member

No, if I play the DVD in a DVD player or on Acer Arcade (the media center on my computer) the subtitles only play if I wish them to.

Let me check out video help and get back to you.