1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to kno where a start

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by badboy626, Oct 15, 2004.

1. badboy626

badboy626 Member

hey guyz ive been on afterdawn for a couple monthz now but im pretty much a newb when it comes to buiding a computer for scratch. ive been interested in it for a while and have been reading up on a few guides that attempt to explain the basics. ive pretty much got the jist of it but im still in the dark when it comes to certain issue. one is that im not sure what to look for in a motherboard. i was also wondering if any one knew a good guide for a newb like me and if u all had any suggestions as im gunna attempt to build my first commp in the very near future. im living in canada so id probaly get my products mostly from http://www.futureshop.com seeing as they offer free shipping... ok guyz thanks for the help

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

where in Canada are you located, I'm just south of Barrie Ontario. I wouldn't buy from Future Shop as some of their new hard drives are actually refurbs but at new prices. I get my stuff & systems for my customers at GoGoComputers in Markham Ont.

3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

But dont be oblivious -- FShop occasionally has very good deals -- keyword: occasionally

5. badboy626

badboy626 Member

im actually living in toronto....scarborough to be exact......im pretty familiar with the computer components except for the mother board.....how many and what kinda slots shud i be looking for

6. ddp

what cpu are you going to use AMD or Intel. go with ddr ram(2plus slots),to keep costs down get onboard video BUT has to have an AGP slot(4-8x),standard boards have onboard lan, sound & 4 to 8 USB ports & 3 to 4 PCI slots

7. badboy626

badboy626 Member

ill be using a p4 most likely

8. ddp

what p4 are you looking at. gogocomputers has an asus p4r800-vm with radeon 9200,800fsb,8xagp,3pci,lan & audio for $102