1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to know what to buy

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by chsnake, Feb 23, 2005.

1. chsnake

chsnake Guest

Hello all I would like to backup up my vhs collection 2 dvd but i need some help i need to know what to buy from card to dv-r i had bought the sony dvdirect and i return it because it wouldn't backup my vhs collection so can u plz help.

I'm runnin A7N8X Asus with 512 80gb 160 wd external 2 sony burners 120/160 I have a pix of the back of my pc i'm tryin to figure out how 2 put on here cause i need to know what theses cords are thats hanin and some other things on here. thanks

2. pfh

pfh Guest

You'll be looking for an internal or external card/device that will convert the anolog vhs signal to digital to allow saving to pc or direct to a blank dvd. The Sony unit you had can do this, however, it most likely ran into Macrovision copy protection. Thus the reason it didn't work. If you could have passed the vhs signal thru a "video clarifier" before it reached the Sony it probebly would have worked. I use a Sima "Copy This" box. It's a small self contained unit that sells for ~$50 and acts to stabilize the Macrovision signal. You plug the output from vcr into it then output from there goes to convertor.
    There are several types and price ranged convertors available. You'll just have to look around as to what suits your needs. You'll be looking for anolog capture/convertors. Again, the Sony will work except for circumventing the copy protection. I assume these are vhs tapes that you personally own? I too have a large collection I'm archiving to dvd for PERSONAL use. My present setup using a Plextor ConvertX M402U.

3. chsnake

chsnake Guest

hello pfh
    thanks so much for the information i'm lookin at a Dazzle DVC90 moneys kinda tight now and i have to buy the clarifier so what do u think about that choice will it do
    the same thing and do i need to use decrypter with it yes theses are my own personal collection i would love to see how Vincent Price And Lon Chaney,Bela, Cagney look on Dvd.
    Thanks

Good System u have

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

DONT get a "Dazzle DVC 90" it is an utterly terrorable Capture device...
    Most Cheap USB Capture devices suck Includeing this one...
    You would Achieve better quality even if you had a Cheapo PCI capture card but I would recomend that you wait till you had some more money and then got something Good instead of Getting something that is Cheap that would would Probably have to return anyways because of the substandard Results...

Also when you get something cheap you will run into More Problems Like Dropped Frames and Sync Problems which will only serve to Frustrate and discourage you....
    I woulkd suggest you wait till you had a Couple Hundered Bucks saved up and got a device that would produce Good Quality with the least ammount of Trouble...
    You might even look into getting a standalone DVD Recorder as they will record directly to DVD for you and they produce quality as good as some of the Better Capture devices and are super simple to use...

5. chsnake

chsnake Guest

hi thanks for the information and what would u suggest as a good capture device? also i need to know how can i receive files from my friend online. thanks again

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well one of the Very Best Devices for Captureing VHS Tapes in the Very best Possible Quality is the "Canopus ADVC-100 or the Newer "Canopus ADVC-110"...
    These devices are external devices and connect to your PC useing a firewire port and use HardWare DV Compression so there is very Litte CPU power Used which captureing but these devices are a Bit expensive at about $250 but they are Cheap compared to other Comareable Devices in the Same Class...
    Pluss the ADVC-110 has a Feature to remove the Copy protection on VHS tapes so you don"t have to buy a seperate device to remoove the Macrovision copy protection...

You could get a simular Device that is a Internal PCI card Like the "Canopus ACEDVio" that does the same thing and is a little cheaper....

If you wanted to Go Super Cheap you could get a Simple Analogue Capture card for under $75 but these devices come with there own set of Issues Like you need a fairly Fast PC to Capture useing Compression at Full resolution and the Quality won"t be as Good as with the Canopus Devices and Most Basic Analogue Capture cards do not have Features for Removeing the Copy protection...

There are also many other devices you can get but for the Best quality and less problems you are going to have to spend a Few Bucks....

Good Luck

7. bkstyl

bkstyl Member

Minion:

What is your thought on these devices:

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 PCI
    Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250 PCI
    AverMedia Ultra TV Media Center PCI 500

I was thinking about getting the 150 or 250 but want some advice before making my purchase.

Thanks

Computer Details/Setup:
    Operating System: WinXp ver 2
    CPU Speed: P4 540 w/HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)
    Harddrive space: 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    RAM Memory: 512 MB
    Video Card: Integrated IntelĀ® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    DVD-ROM: 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    DVD Writer: 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer
    Standalone DVD Player:
    Other: IEEE 1394

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well out of those 3 devices i would go for the Hauppague Win-TV PVR 250...I have heard Mixed things about these devices, some say it works great and others have complained about Sync problems in the captured files and Lack of Capture software that supports this device(Accept for the Crappy Win-TV Software that comes with it)..

Maybe you should ask someone who owns on of these devices to see how well it performs....

Cheers

9. chsnake

chsnake Guest

thanks minion for your advice

10. Destra

Destra Regular member

Instead of starting a new thread on Macrovosion I will added it here. I would also like to remove Macrovision but I was thinking about using a TBC device instead; such as Datavideo TBC-1000. I read that these will stabalize the image and remove the Macrovision protection. Has anybody used one of these and do they strip the Macrovision protection? I am using a JVC HR-S9600U VCR but it's TBC doesn't seem to strip the protection as ATI MMC still will not capture. Thanks

11. pfh

pfh Guest

If the datavideo 1000 combined with your 9600 don't defeat it then I'd say you've got another issue. That combo(or similar)is highly recommended and will provide you with a real good source input.

12. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

chsnake:
    The PVR150 had audio sync issues, but is supposedly fixed with the latest driver from Hauppauge.
    The 250 is probably the best "bang-for-the-buck" device you can buy today.
    The 350 is overkill for most people, unless you really want FM radio.
    The 250 will do radio as well, with some software tweaks in different capture software.
    I don't know where Minion got his info on support, but there are some EXCELLENT 3rd party TV/Capture apps for the PVR series.
    I use GB-PVR (it's free), totally customizable/skinnable, and there are at least 30 different plugins you can get that work with it.
    It will not only view and capture, it will rip DVDs, play them, schedule recordings, (and more) and will let you set the capture parameters, such as bitrate, size, quality, to anything you want.
    WinTV2000 isn't that bad, neither is the Ulead movie software that comes with the card. Good enough for a beginner.
    Check out www.gbpvr.com and www.shspvr.com for everything you ever wanted to know about PVR's and software for them.