1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to reset bios jumper to get signal from pc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by matt0176, May 23, 2007.

1. matt0176

matt0176 Member

i have to reset my bios jumper to get a signal on my monitor and start up pc i get the cmos checksum error and it runs fine, if i save the loaded defaults it will take a real long time to start up but if i keep reseting the bios it runs fine, cpu will run hot it will lag bad if i save defaults, i replaceds the battery, im not sure what else to do?

2. elokito

elokito Regular member

the cpu could be getting to hot try cleaning th fan/heat sink to c if that fixes it

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

matt, this happens when you 1st startup the computer? are you comfortable in taking apart your pc to see if have a grounding or lack of grounding in your pc?

4. matt0176

matt0176 Member

i built the pc it self, its a pentium d dual core 3.20 abit aw8d motherboard, i just replaced the powersupply and im still getting no voltage from the atx 4 pin, heatsink and fan are clean but running at about 80-90 degrees but i if i save the bios defaults and restart it runs 150-160 degrees thats why i reset the bios and dont save the defaults, im thinking of just replacing the motherboard, this started happening when i took the cpu out to clean the heatsink, i dont know what else to do but to just replace the motherboard, thanks for helping

5. elokito

elokito Regular member

it appears u didnt put the heatsink right and also did u clean the thermal grease (grey thing under heatsink) cause if u did u have to replace it with a new paste (artic silver) just make sure the heat sink is well placed it has to b VERY tight to the motherboard so the temp stays low

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  6. matt0176

matt0176 Member

cleaned thermal grease and applyed new grease evenly across heatsink and processor and put heatsink in tight

7. ddp

you put paste on both cpu & heatsink because if you did then maybe that is your heat problem as is to much? redo it but only on 1 surface.

8. matt0176

matt0176 Member

directions were to apply thermal grease to bother cpu and heatsink but the overheating isnt the problem its that when i power on my pc everything turns on but ig et no signal to my monitor, i need to reset the bios jumpers in or for my pc to get a signal then as i boot up i get the cmos checksum error defaults have been loaded

9. ddp

replace the board as i had to replace a customer's because it wouldn't save cmos setting. always went to default when i turned it on.

10. matt0176

matt0176 Member

yeah thats most likley what im going to do because if i save the defaults that have been loaded then thats when the pc runs hot and cpu freaks

11. elokito

elokito Regular member

probably ure motherbard is bad im not sayin its not, but theres another issue and thats the heat problem u should only apply a lil bit of thermal grease and try again, after u solved that issue and u could boot up then u could update the bios (since u probably have a bad flash making it load defaults everytime)so do that if its still messed up then buy a new mobo

ddp u shouldve tried flashing ure customers bios since it probably was corrupt

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  12. funky22

funky22 Guest

did u flash new bios to motherboard that hqappend to me on my aw9d max when i flash new bios just flash it back where it was working good

13. ddp

elokito, already did but still had problem. don't worry i know what i'm doing