1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to Unlock Original Xbox HD and no have passwd

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by RedJames, Apr 7, 2007.

1. RedJames

RedJames Member

Hi, the situation is this:
    I tried to run EvoX in my XBOX without knowing that it can´t be done without the modchip. Now the xbox boot with error 14 and doesn't start.
    Then I thought of formating the hd.
    I tried to unlock the xbox hd with hotswap and nothing happened. The other thing is that since i didn't knew that i couldn't run the EvoX without the modchip, I didn't even have a copy of the eeprom so i can´t unlock the f**king hd with passwd.
    What do i do?
    Should i throw my hd far far away?
    Should I buy a new one?
    Does anyone knows how to get the hd code from any website or something? The Xbox HD Serial Code is 5JRHWXQ8

2. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

you could buy a modchip and just pop in any hd

3. RedJames

RedJames Member

The problem is that i´m in Colombia, and I don't know where to buy a modchip suitable to my xbox. Is there any other way to do it without the modchip?

4. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)

Same thing as above (error 13). This time it is also a little mistake from you on changing names or having played around with files on the xbox harddisk. Error 14 is most often because you changed boot orders or names of startup files on the harddisk. It can also happen when you are rebuilding your xbox harddisk with a slayer cd and the power was cut.

modchip.com ships to Columbia and the chip I recommend is probably the xecuter 3 ce.

Also do you know how to solder or are you comfrtable doing on your xbox?

If not you can buy a solderless adapter

5. RedJames

RedJames Member

you see, I'm not in Columbia, i'm in Bogotá, Colombia, and I don't have enough to bring a modchip from USA, that's because of the shipment costs.
    Maybe i'd give a try to look for the xcecuter here in Bogotá, but, isn't there any other way to unlock my hd?
    Thanks

6. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

7. steimy

steimy Active member

8. RedJames

RedJames Member

If I were to upgrade my HD, do I need the eeprom? Can't I just plug the HD in?
    Someone borrowed me a 80 Gb HD, so I'm interested if anyone have useful info
    Thanks

9. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

You need a modchip to pop in any hd then you need to install evolution x.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

if your xbox has a mod chip you can just take out the stock drive and install a larger compatible hard drive, then format it and install all the dashboards and apps with Slayer 2.7

If you are softmodded then you need to build the drive using Xboxhdm and your PC, and for that you will need the EEPROM file.

Only way to do it without the EEPROM file is by doing a hotswap. Which from what i read is a pain.

Just go to the links i posted above, they have plenty of other xbox tutorials on everything i just mentioned. Plus see this list to make sure the hard drive is compatible
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

11. RedJames

RedJames Member

Thanks! Many Thanks!!
    I did it with the hotswap trick again an it worked, because I was doing it wrong. Now I've got my 80gb drive working with all my games and so on. And of course, two copies of my EEPROM so this situation will never happen again.

Yo-ho!

12. steimy

steimy Active member

great to hear. Backing up the EEPROM is a smart idea. Most people just do not do it. It is a 100% must with a softmodded system.

13. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I know its off the topic but im asking about what RedJames stated above.

Is this true? certain dashes only work on hardmodded boxes? so far every dash that i've installed has worked without any errors that error 14 happens if files got renamed or installed in a different directory. I come across this post and i wonder if this is true, I wouldnt know because i havent used the EvoX dash and im been wanting to change and see how this dash functions. I dont think so, but just want to make sure.

Thanks.

14. RedJames

RedJames Member

What I read about the EvoX dash said that it wouldn't run on softmodded Xbox. Because of that I said that it was a dash problem. But also I've read about running EvoX without modchip, doing something with a font archive or something, I don't remember. (I owe u the link)
    In any case, if you intend to install the EvoX, make sure you take all the precautions before doing it, that is, making a copy of the EEPROM (with ConfigMagic), and making a backup of your xbox HDD (Via ftp or something), and of course get the software needed to repair the hdd again in case that something goes wrong. (Personally, I got xboxhdm 1.9 and it worked fine)

15. RedJames

RedJames Member

People I need help again!
    I tried to install another 80gb hard drive taking the necesary precautions that I've learned, and when I booted up the xbox it appeared on error 6 (cannot unlock the hd). I used the xbox eeprom and locked it with xboxhdm, with a passwd thad the eeprom gave me, but it didn´t work.
    What can I do?
    is there another software to lock the hd with the eeprom?
    Thanks

16. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

You should have burnt the eeprom onto bootdisc and let the program xboxhdm lock it for you instead of you having to input the HHD manually. I created a new drive using xboxhdm after formatting an locking and swapped drives while the xbox was off. Make sure the Hdd drive you are using is compatiable. If it doesnt recognize it the Hdd key found on the new drive doesnt match with the eeprom found on xbox.

I dont know i have never encontered this before but if this helps..

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/203286

17. RedJames

RedJames Member

the fact is that I believe I'm introducing a wrong password. But I have a prob: Regardless that I put the eeprom into the Boot CD, and the pc says that the hd is locked, The xbox boots on Error 6. that means, 1, that the hd is still unlocked or 2, that the xbox can´t unlock the hd.
    The error appears even if I let the lockhd appl do the thing for me.
    Next prob: when I generate the hdd key, It throws me a longer code which I can´t insert with atapwd appl. This one confuses me because ConfigMagic says a "unique hdd key" and "current hdd unlock password" (Which one is the passwd?)
    So the question is: Can I read the eeprom with any software on my pc, and, which one is the passwd that the eeprom holds? Can i lock the hd with atapwd, setting one passwd?

Thanks

18. steimy

steimy Active member

i thought that xboxhdm did all of that for you, that all you had to do was put a copy of your EEPROM file into the EEPROM folder (under Linux folder), then make the ISO using the provided builder, burn to a DVD and boot in the PC, and then it could use that to lock, unlock or build the hard drive for you?

And EvoX along with most other dashboards will work just fine on a softmodded Xbox. In fact, most softmod and hardmod programs use EvoX as the default dashboard that it installs.

19. RedJames

RedJames Member

Now I did the big one!!

Trying to lock the hd with the "unique hd key", I didn't put one character and sent the software to lock. It said me that the passwd was wrong, because of the lack of this character. However, it locked the hd and I don't know with which code!!!! The software showed me the code that I put (with the missing character) but not the locking code. Also It didn't set the master passwd, so there's no way to unlock it with atapwd.

Again, maybe I should try to kill someone with my very-expensive-paperweight? or is any way to unlock it?

helpp