1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need XVID and File Merge

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by seagrave, Aug 28, 2010.

1. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

Greetings again all. I've had perennial problems trying to deal with MJPG video shot on a digital camera. As is it takes up too much room... as could be expected at something like 17000kbs. I have been compressing to mp4 using x264 using XVID4PSP but while I LOVE x264... the file merge has terrible audio sync problems when encoding more that 7-8 min of video. And the format can only be viewed on my PC.

I was looking for more viewing flexibility so I tried DIVX in TMPGEnc... but even at 3000kbs using the sharpening filter, the video doesn't capture grain like x264 and looks fuzzy. So I was thinking of XVID since it has more encoding features. But of all the tools I've tried none of them have file merge.

Can anyone think of any?

Thanks!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Avidemux uses a range of filters and can merge same resolution files.

3. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

There's more that one way to skin a cat. I finally found an AVI joiner that does NOT recode... it leaves the original quality of the video intact. It's the Boilsoft Video Joiner.

Now that I can do that... I can use any XVID (or x264) encoder... and there's no reason not to go back to XVID4PSP which aside from the terrible sync problems it had in file merge is a decent encoder.

4. attar

attar Senior member

If the file properties are the same, neither AviDemux nor VirtualDub will re-encode the video - but as soon as a filter is invoked the video (merged or not) has to be encoded.

5. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

Thanks for responding Attar. I tried AVIDEMUX about 5-6 months ago and was impressed with the options and documentation. I just could not get it to work. I forget what the problem was but I uninstalled it.

Now that I can merge the original AVIs without compression or audio sync problems, then it really does solve my big problem.