1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need your help ScubaPete!! I've done my homework but need more help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HeloMoto, Dec 10, 2004.

1. HeloMoto

HeloMoto Member

Scuba, i don't really know you but I've seen a bunch of articles you've posted and you're obviously the one to talk to. I've got 170 dvd's in my collection that I'd like to back up along with some Ps2 games. I've been looking at stand alone burners, which would be the most convenient for me, but they don't copy protected cd's...which from my research...all dvd's are protected. That brings me to the "shrinking" software or whatever. I've done my homework, BELIEVE ME. Countless hours of reading forums here, and it just seems like you have to build freakin' computers to back up a stinking movie. I'll boil my questions down easy.
    Stand alone burners vs external computer burner?
    I've heard Pioneer burners are the best, can you recommend some?
    I've already read your guide on the best media
    What software or programs do I need to "shrink" or do whatever it is I have to do?
    I've read your massive article on exactly how to go through the whole process of the best way to back up dvd's, and that just confused me more than anything. I didn't even understand half the words you were using. To make it worse, a ton of people wrote back saying that was the best info they ever got in their life. Arrr, please help.

2. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Hello HeloMoto-I'm by no means an expert at this either, but I can tell you a few things that might help get you started.
    1. I have read in numerous posts that external burners might give you issues. I'm not sure why, if the USB connection isn't fast enough or what, but I would recommend an internal burner if you have the space. I use a LiteOn LDW-851S and have never had a bad burn, but I don't want to get into brand name arguements with anyone so I'm leaving that one alone.
    2. As far as burning media, I have always used TDK DVD-R disks and have never had a problem with any of them either, but again I don'y know enough to get drawn into a discussion about this. These are the first disks I ever tried and they worked perfectly for me so I never tried anything else. I usually buy them on sale at a BestBuy, CompUSA, CircuitCity, etc. for about $9.00/25 disks. I guess certain brands of burners prefer certain brands of disks, and you also want to check for compatability with your stand-alone DVD player.
    3. I always use DVD Shrink to rip/re-code the movie (remove the copyright protection) and have NERO Burning ROM installed which Shrink can use to burn directly after encoding if you wish. You can download NERO for free to try for 30 days and shrink is free, so other than the cost of a burner and blank media you could try this method out for free. The best guide I have found for using Shrink is at
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/index.php
    This is a step by step walk-through guide and you can go as slow as you like.
    4. I have no experience with Ps2 games so I can't offer anything on that one, but I'm pretty sure they are encoded also and require some type of ripping/re-encoding.

I hope this helps a little.

Also, I agree that Scuba is the MAN. I have saved myself several posts just by reading threads that he has commented on. Thanks for all the help!

3. HeloMoto

HeloMoto Member

Thanks jpc, that gives me more good info to look into. I have one more question. I have a old 800mhz laptop and am thinking of getting a new computer. Should I just custom order a new Dell computer and leave out a dvd drive or just get an external dvd burner and connect it to this peace of crap?

4. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

HeloMoto - I'm not sure I understand your question. You said something about leaving out a DVD drive if you ordered a Dell. I don't know why you would want to do that. Personally I would leave out any CD drives and get a DVD ROM drive AND a DVD Burner, or even 2 DVD Burners. I don't know what Dell would charge for these "upgrades" and you could probably buy a burner cheaper on your own, but then you have to install/configure it yourself(which is not too difficult, myself or someone else could walk you through that). If your'e not comfortable poking around inside your PC case I guess it would be better to have Dell do it and pay a little extra to make sure it works right out of the box.

As far as your 800mHz laptop goes, I don't know if that is a beefy enough processor to do a lot of video editing. Also if it is a "piece of crap" I don't imagine it has too much memory (RAM) in it and this would also be a problem. I have a 1.6gHz processor, 512mb RAM and an 8X burner and it takes me from 1hr15min to 2hr to rip, encode, and burn, so imagine how slow that 800mHz with no extra RAM would be(take that figure times 170 DVDs and some Ps2 game to back up!). Plus like I said in my last post, I have read a lot of posts about trouble with external burners in the past, although that may not be the case with newer generation burners today.

And if you really want my opinion, I would never buy from Dell, HP, Gateway etc... I would buy the components and put them together myself or have someone else build me a system with the exact items I wanted (Motherboard,Processor,HDD,RAM,DVD Drives). You would also have to buy Windows and other programs seperately, but you would own the actual software CDs and not that stupid hard-drive image CD that a big name manufacturer would most likely give you that comes with a bunch of pre-loaded crap you will probably never use(they won't usually ship you the actual software CDs, just a way to restore your system back to the way it was when they shipped it, which means restoring any programs you have downloaded since then anyway).

Sorry for being so long winded, just wanted to give you as much info as possible to try to help.

5. CJC

CJC Regular member

If i was to buy a Pre-built computer, i would probably go for a Dell, having worked with customers comptuers of all sorts, they seem to be alot better, but i still build my own :)

800mhz is too slow for Video Encoding it would take hours.

If you are getting a New PC, get INTERNAL DVD Burner, not an EXTERNAL, they tend to cause more problems.

@jpc00:
    1hr 15min to backup a DVD... Takes about 30 minutues to Rip and Encode on one of my old 1.2GHz PC's with 512mb SD-RAM....

CJC

6. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

cjc- What software/methods are you using? I use Shrink exclusively for ripping/encoding and it takes me a minimum of 40-60 minutes to rip/encode, and then throw on another 15 minutes on average to burn at 4X. I have always had good results and the extra time is not killing me, but if you have any suggestions for cutting 10-15 minutes off encoding they would be greatly appreciated! I always rip from my old DVDROM, and I'm not sure of the read(ripping) speed on it. Anyway, I'm going to up-grade this ROM to a burner over Christmas, but would this have anything to do with my extra time? I have loked for firmware upgrades but haven't had much luck since this DVDROM drive is probaly about 5/6 years old. Also on the subject of upgrading to another burner I have read about some that will come from the factory preset to read(rip) faster than others, maybe Plextor or NEC, not sure. Do you know anything about this?
    Thanks-jpc

Also, maybe to help you in making any suggestions, I have the burner and rom on the same IDE channel with burner set as master, Windows XP Home SP2

7. henryting

henryting Regular member

Hi HeloMoto,

I have tried many different dvd burners said TEAC PIONEER LG IOMEGA SONY TDK etc and to my research the best burner came out to BENQ DW1620 DVD int burner. I have tried to burn the cheap dvd disc with this chap and it did very well done job.
    The burnt disc can play basically on any dvd player. The software I strongly recommend is dvd shrink and nero bcos they are excellent pair believe me. This dvd benq dvd writer once the firmware is updated it can burnt up 12x while it stated the speed only 8x.
    Give it a try and you will never regreted.

8. kchev

kchev Regular member

i would get my own burner
    you can get a much better burner plus get a dual format burner
    i haven't looked at dell's site lately but they only have DVD+R format burners if my memory serves me well

9. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

I use DVD Shrink and Nero in combination.
    DVD Shrink takes on average 15-20 minutes to Encode and then 15 minutes to burn the DVD at 4x onto a Ritek G04 DVD-R.

CJC

10. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Thanks for replying CJC-
    That is exactly what I'm doing, except it takes me 25-40 minutes longer to encode than you. By the way, I'm not even running any deep analysis or quality enhancing features, just a straight back-up. I'm thinking it has to be the DVDROM ripping speed, or that something is hogging system resources since our burn times are the same. If I open task manager it says I have 1 application running right now (this one, i.e.explorer), 46 processes (most of which I have no idea what they are and am affraid to mess with), my CPU usage is 0-4%, and my Physical Memory is as follows:
    Total: 523760
    Available: 307940
    System Cache: 267536
    Does this System Cache seem high to anyone or is it about normal? I said before that the extra time wasn't really killing me but the more I read and discuss it is starting to bug the crap out of me.

Also, I noticed in your first post you said it takes "about 30 minutes to rip and encode" and in your next post you said it takes "15-20 minutes to encode". I always thought these were kind of done at the same time, unless of course you already had the video on your hard drive. Is there a difference?

JPC

11. huntert

huntert Guest

ripping is basically decoding and sending from your dvd to your harddrive and encoding is setting up the data on your hard drive to be burned to a disk.

12. huntert

huntert Guest

ripping is basically decoding and sending from your dvd to your harddrive and encoding is setting up the data on your hard drive to be burned to a disk.

13. CJC

CJC Regular member

Rip is basically copying it to the hard drive, then it has to 'shrink' the movie, once that is down then you can burn

Basically what huntert said.

Sorry HeloMoto for hi-jacking your thread, continue on as if this wasnt here :)

CJC

14. HeloMoto

HeloMoto Member

Lol, incase anybody noticed, I was the one who needed the help!! Thanks for all the responses. What I wanted to do was buy a dell and just leave out the dvd/cd drive and put one in myself. There's absolutely no way I'm building my own computer, so Dell is what I'm rolling with.

15. CJC

CJC Regular member

I did reply to your initial Question, just got a little side tracked, which i did say sorry :)

Thing is, if you buy a dell with no Optical drive and go to put your own in, you will be voiding part of the warranty for opening it up and modifying.

My bet would be to pay a few extra $$ (not sure how much extra, as i havnt bought one) to save the warranty.

Before you go buy it, post the model number of the Dell you are looking at and we can give you our opinions :)

CJC

16. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

jpc00

Lol, Your slow times stuck out when I read this thread too. Did you check your DMA settings? Also I've been reading that sp2 can slow the process down or make it not work at all. My DVD/ROM is 3 yrs old,12x read, my burner is a NEC 1300A, 1.3 AMD processor, 768 mb memory. My times are 30-35 min to rip and encode and 14 1/2 min to burn at 4x. I use the latest versions of shrink/decrypter. Sorry bout the hijacking of the thread.