1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needed Software

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by isjka, Mar 6, 2004.

1. isjka

isjka Member

Hi,

I'm totally new to this process so please forgive my ignorance.

I just bought a burner and two dics came with it 1. Sonic MyDVD and 2. PowerDVD. I plan on making back up copies of the DVD I currently own.

According to another thread in the DVD-R for Newbies section, it was mentioned that there are 2 programs needed for copying; Nero and DVD Shrink. My question is do I need to install the discs that came with the drive or will the aforementioned software suffice?

Thanks.

2. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Do not install Sonic anything ;) I'm guessing you purchased a LiteOn drive, right? Power DVD is fine for playback. As far as backup and burning .... Nero and DVDShrink should take care of the majority of your needs for now. Once you begin to learn more about EVERYTHING you can actually do then you'll find an abundance of software on this site.
    Have fun!

Tony

3. isjka

isjka Member

Yes, I purchased a Pacific Digital drvie which was a rebadged Lite-On 851s. Good call.

I'll take your word not to install anything from Sonic. Glad I checked.

Thanks.

4. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

No problem, that's what these forums are for . ...

Cheers!

5. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

hey

excuse me mate, but what is your problem with sonic?

they make some good software i myself am currently using both PowerDVD and [bold]SONIC[/bold] MyDVD 5

and i got sonic myDVD with my liteon drive

isjka, DVDShrink and Nero are good for DVD Backup and will work with just about any drive and comp youll have no problem there they are very good

Dean
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Hey

This Site Rules[/small]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  6. isjka

isjka Member

LoNeR,

What do you use Sonic MyDVD for? Does it make sense for me to install it then? Is Sonic MyDVD basically the same program as Nero? Will Sonic work with DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter, or is best practice to stick with Nero?

Thanks.

7. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

LoNEr ........

I ahd a flashback of the hell Sonic had put me through and hadn't wanted for anyone to have to deal with it as well. But hey, if it works for you then more power to you. I'll stick to the good 'ol Nero.

8. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

for the actual DVD backup burn process it is better to stick with nero and shrink

sonic myDVD is a good program for say slideshows, home movies etc you know stuff that you have made yourself

lol, dont get me wrong i have nero 6 and it is a good program i just dont think that sonicMyDVD is bad nor powerDVD

what was the hell sonic put you through cryptdigr?

Dean

9. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

You know how there's always some poor schmuck that gets the s**t end of the stick, right? I had already had a previous copy of the fames Nero 6 which worked wonderfully :) Me, being the nice guy that I am, decide to show my gf what to do as far as installing PowerDVD only. I leave my office and return 2 minutes later to the "I wasn't sure what to do so I think I did this" comment from the gf. So maybe it was more than 2 minutes because she got scared and turned off the computer during the installation. Upon reboot, Sonic is in 3 separate directories and Nero no longer works. I don't use System Restore so you know what I ended up doing. Anyway, not Sonic's fault, but I'm afraid to blame the gf. :)?

10. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

lol, very true

it would be a bad move to blame the gf, now i see your dislike to sonic.... You no your probably one of the only people i know who doesent use system restore, why not?

anyway glad to see your not dissing the software ;D

wasent isjka around here somewhere? isjka have we helped your DVD Backup Journey at all?

Dean

11. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Yeah ,I guessed we kinda strayed from the subject! LOL, sorry isjka! I don't bother with system restore mostly because of some performance issues I've had, but also due to some virus issues in the past. Some of em love to get in their and "hibernate" with everything else. The last one, Dust.exe, geez .... GF no longer has access to my system ... for anything!
    :)

12. isjka

isjka Member

Hey guys,

You've helped me in the journey for sure and made me laugh at the same time with these last posts. No need to be sorry.

I'll hold onto MyDVD for a while, seems like it could come in handy when I get a digital video recorder and such.

You'll most likely see me in the other forums sometime soon.

Adios and Thanks.

isjka

13. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Glad you could laugh while I cried :) Have fun in the forums .... I am!

Tony

14. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

hey

Glad we have helped afterall that is the whole purpose of the forum "share and share alike"

*Gets all nostalgic*

anyhoo i know what you mean i had mimail trojan droppers and such in my system restore tut tut tut when will we learn eh?

glad to hear you dont let your gf near your comp anymore cryptdigr, for safety reasons only ;-) of course

isjka hope we do see more of you around these parts tis good to have plenty of budding newbies around, well then on that note i guess theres only one thing to say......... pity i cant remember it

ill just say l8r then

l8r