1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

needing help with broadband speeds...

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by gmutt, Jun 27, 2007.

1. gmutt

gmutt Guest

first off, if this is in the wrong section, apologies. looked through and couldnt find a forum section dedicated to this topic.

i need some help with upload speeds. i have a 20meg dl - 768k ul speed from Virgin Media. I can only get to upload at about 80/90k however. I called Virgin and they said it was because of my use of third party software (utorrent).

Does anyone know a way to change the upload speed to a higher value. would using another BT client like Azureus help?

any thoughts or help will be appreciated....

Thanks

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

3. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Is the 768k upload speed in bits(kbs) or bytes(kBs)?

If it is bits then it is equal to 96 kBs. (divide by 8)

The Afterdawn guide to utorrent suggests using 90% of upload bandwidth. You are getting correct upload speeds, if the 80/90k is kBs and the 768 is kbs.

Azureus can only use 80% or effects will be seen.

I also checked and Virgin Media was on the list of bad ISPs at the Azureus wiki. Seemed mostly because they limit bandwidth at certain times of day. But, there was a ? under proposed encryption. So if you are having problems, then encryption might help.