1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing help with TMPGenc and Virtualdub

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Dr.Who, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Duh

Aight. I should of know to do that before hand. Ill check this out when I get home tonight and hopefully this will all work out good........FINALLY. lol

Your a good help. Thanks again

2. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Damn......

Its doing the SAME thing. Giving me the same error. Ok, let me see what happened.

Ok, I think I see what happened but want to clarify this.

Above, you said to have the source 1.1 vga, but later you said you change the settings in the picture box you gave me to be exactly as you have it, BUT the picture shows 4.3 Display. Do I LEAVE it at 1.1 VGA on MY screen, anyway?

Also when I pull up the avi in TMPGenc 2.5, the source size shows 640x272, but your picture shows 720x480. You didnt mention anything about changing this.

Everything else I was able to change.

I changed bitrate to 5666, source aspect ratio to 4.3 535 line (NTSC) (theres also a choice to choose 1.1 VGA as well), full video method is set at Full Screen (keep aspect ratio 2)

So Im not sure what is going on, but I have a feeling we need to change the source size or somethin?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I said SOURCE as 1:1 VGA (this is on the Advanced tab).
    The 4:3 you see in the picture is the OUTPUT.
    DVD spec output is 720x480, so YES, leave it at that, no matter WHAT the source aspect is. This will make tmpgenc letterbox it properly.
    This is where you set the source to 1:1 (VGA), leave it at keep aspect ratio 2.

4. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Hhmmm.....

Well, I dont think its going to work, or the file must be way to large, because last night I DID leave it at VGA 1.1 in advanced and 4.3 display in main and did all that you said and left the source size at 720x480 and yet STILL it gave me the error message after converting it over to M2v in TMPGenc 2.5 and adding the file in DVD author later on.

I just dont know what Im doing wrong. Ill give it ONE more try, but if still gives me the error, Im just going to give up. This is getting to be too much for me to handle LOL

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Are you trying to make a PAL video, or an NTSC?
    If you truly want PAL, then change the output aspect to 720x576, and the framerate to 25fps. Leave it at 4:3 output, and leave the input (advanced screen) at 1:1, keep aspect 2.
    When you say the file is too large, do you mean the aspect is too large, or the file is too big?
    What exactly is the error you're getting?

6. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

I dont know now what type of format video Im choosing now that I disabled that wizard format window now.

Is there a window or a selection that I can choose to see if its PAL or other?

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

On the front page of tmpgenc.
    If you have it set the way i show in the pic, it's NTSC. Your source file is an NTSC, and I'm assuming you want to make it NTSC.
    If you DO want to make it PAL, then we need to change a whole bunch of stuff.
    What part of the world do you live in? Do you know if the standard where you are is NTSC or PAL?

8. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Houston, Tx

I originally was selecting PAL, but I can go with the other, whichever.

You know about what pal and errr whatever that other thing was more than I do.

What do you think I should put it as?

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You must use NTSC, or it won't work, meaning the settings I gave you are exactly what you should use.
    PAL is for Europe :)

10. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Oh ok...

Well this does explain a bunch. I had it set on PAL. Glad you told me this, otherwise we would of never been able to go further.

Aight, let me begin round 4 tonight and see what happens. Thanks

11. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Ok, Im at home but Im confused....

It seems that since Ive disabled the wizard, its set to PAL. I want to obviously set it to NTSC, but it seems the only way I can change it, is by bringing up the project wizard, which Ive noticed resets my convert to audio/video instead of how I originally wanted it, ES (Video Only)

and when you say "Front page" what do you mean? Im guessing you mean on the video tab of that page you pasted up above in the forum??

Also, when I bring up the project window to choose NTSC, on the far right it gives me some choices, like CBR Liniar PCM Audio, CBR MPEG-1 Layer II Audio (MP2)

Which one do I choose??

How do you pick your format you want (PAL or NTSC) without bring up the project wizard?? Everytime I do it through the project wizard, when I get to the final page, it ALWAYS gives me an error saying the file is too big to conver or some shit.

12. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Also, Ive noticed that when I bring up the project wizard and open the avi file, the aspect ratio says, VGA 1.1, but then when I go to the next screen that has the filter settings selections, down below Ill click on OTHER SETTINGS which brings up that window you pasted up earlier, but I notice the aspect ratio changes from VGA 1.1 to 4.3. Even if I change it to VGA 1.1 and save it, if I go back a screen and go back TO the screen, it changes it back to 4.3 Display, no matter what.

*shrugs*

13. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Well, however you figure this out, I cant use the project wizard at all. It tells me everytime at the end that the file is too large and wont continue with the convert, with these settings you gave me, and EVERY time I open it up, it defaults to System (Video+Audio) under stream type. Wont stay on ES (Video Only) that I set it too.

14. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Ok, I restarted one last time.

I opened up project wizard, chose NTSC. Closed it out.

Chose ES (Video Only) under stream type (this is in the screen that shows a black theater box above and a progress bar)

I click on browse to load up the avi file. I pick it, it load.

Output, I click on browse, I point it to where I want to save it......

I click on settings tab, and this is what it BEFORE I change anything.....

UNDER VIDEO TAB
    ================
    Stream Type: MPEG-1 Video
    Size: 640x272
    Aspect Ratio: 1.1 (VGA)
    Frame Rate: 23.976 fps
    Rate Control Mode: Constant bitrate (CBR)
    Bitrate: 1150

Profile and Level: Main Profile & Main Level (MP@ML)
    Video Format: NTSC
    Encode Mode: Non-Interface

the others Im sure are not important.....

Ok next, I click on settings next to Rate Control Mode as you told me to click on and change the bitrate to 5666. So I did that.

Next you told me to click on the advanced tab and set Source Aspect Ratio to 4:3 525line NTSC. I did do that, and it changes when I click OK.

Next you said under Video Arrange Method, you said to choose Keep Aspect 2. I picked it.

NOW, on the audio tab, you told me to change a few things. I dont see NO audio tab and I did click on LOAD and loaded that unlock.mcf file. STILL no audio tab. The only time it appears is if I bring up that stupid project wizard screen, but if I do I defaults it right back to STREAM TYPE: System (Audio+Video)

I clicked ok to close out the settings window.

Above, I clicked on START and it converts it over to M2V

But I can tell you again. It will give me that SAME error again saying

THE VIDEO RESOLUTION 640X272 CANNOT BE USED FOR A STANDARD DVD

Ill try this a 5th time and see what happens, but Im willing to put 1,000 bucks down that its going to give me the same #@$@##@ error again.

15. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You've not changed the settings correctly.
    I don't want that stupid wizard.
    I told you how to get it to do NTSC.
    Click LOAD.
    Browse to the tmpgenc folder, then to it's template folder then to it's extras folder, and click on UNLOCK.MCF
    NOW change everything on the settings screen and the advanced screen as we've discussed.
    THEN hit Start.
    You DO NOT want mpeg-1 video. You must have mpeg-2.
    You DO NOT want 640x272. It MUST be 720x480.
    You DO NOT want CBR.
    You DO NOT want 1150kbps.
    You DO NOT want Encode mode Non-Interlaced. You MUST have 3:2 pulldown selected.
    On the advanced tab, set source aspect to 1:1 VGA (this is different than I said before, but it will work better). Keep aspect ratio 2.

16. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

LOL...

Ok, this is a lot of different changes than what you wanted me to do before, but ok. Now that I changed it from MPEG-1 to 2, Ive noticed that I have more options to choose.

By the way, the unlock file from the load tab, is already loaded. I still dont have the audio tab though, but oh well.

Ok, I did all this and I noticed its converting slower now. Maybe thats a sign. Well, now we wait and see what happens.

*crosses fingers*

You said not to keep the default bitrate, so I changed it to 5666kbps as you suggested earlier.

Well, going to let this run while I catch some zzzzzz's......

Well see what happens in the morning.

17. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Boy, these errors just keep getting better and better....

Well the good news is, its not the same error... LOL AHHAHAHA

Error: (when clicking on add file in DVD author)

THE VIDEO SEQUENCE HEADER IS NECESSARY FOR EVER GOP IN A STANDARD DVD

THE VIDEO GOP IS TOO LONG
    max 36 fields (18 frames) (NTSC format only)

Well......think of it this way. Least Im not getting that video size error anymore. Now I got a GOP error! LOL ROFL. Whatever GOP stands for.
    =======================================================

Now when I open up DVD Author, I click on ADD FILE, right? Not Add DVD video, correct?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  18. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, you click on ADD File.
    The GOP stands for GROUP OF PICTURES.
    For NTSC DVD it must be (usually) within a given range, usually either 15 frames, or 18 frames.
    In tmpgenc, click Settings, then click the GOP structure tab.
    The 5th window down, says "MAX number of frames in a GOP". Set that to 18.

Make sure that there's something in the Audio Source box. If it doesn't load automatically, browse for the source avi, or the extracted .wav

19. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

yah, its always that little bit of somethin that will still cause them errors to pop up....

(sighs) Aight, round 6... tonight...

20. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Forgot to ask you, too.....

What do I do with the GOP header? I got ONE error regarding the GOP header. I forgot what exactly it said but mentioned that their needed to be a header for standard, blah blah blah.. It was only ONE error, so I feel this is finally it.

Now, in regards to the audio tab. You mentioned if the audio tab isnt visible under the settings,

Make sure that there's something in the Audio Source box. If it doesn't load automatically, browse for the source AVI, or the extracted .wav

How do you "browse" for the source avi if its already loaded? when you mention browsing for the extracted .wav, do I load that BEFORE loading the video file, you think?

Also, since Im ONLY converting the video avi and not the audio in TMPGenc, why do I need an audio tab? Is that really necessary?