1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 5.5.7.8 can't detect my CD-RW

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by roonsa, Aug 30, 2004.

1. roonsa

roonsa Member

Hi,
    Recently I installed an internal CD/DVD-RW drive. The drive works fine because I've copied DVDs using the drive no problems. However, the other night I wanted to use Nero to burn a CD but it can't detect my drive. All the relevant info I've found on the net suggested that I download an update from nero.com or download.com but that's just for a trial version of release 6.0. Does this mean I have to pay to upgrade to Version 6 so that it recognises my new drive? If so, what a rip as my version 5.5.7.8 is a full version and I was quite happy with it thank you very much.

Regards,

RoonSa.

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Try a couple of free buring applications and see if this is the fix :)

burnatonce
    http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads

DeepBurner
    http://www.deepburner.com

Did Nero 5.x detect the name brand of your DVD burner before? The two free burning programs I mentioned will get the job done and if you need any help with dvd software to make dvd backups, post another thread and I'll be more than happy to assist you :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]MSI KT6V-LSR MS-7021
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+)
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR 400)
    MSI MS Starforce nVidia GeForce FX5500(256 DDR)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM
    Lite-ON LDW411S DVD-Burner[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
  3. roonsa

roonsa Member

Thanks Shooey but I was quite happy with Nero. It did exactly what I wanted it to do. And yes, Nero did detect my old burner. It is just since I installed the new drive that it can't detect a CD recorder. I am confused!

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  5. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Is it just the new recorder Nero 5.5 fails to recognize?

If so, what model recorder is it? Nero 5.5 has not been updated for a year or more now, and it has been discontinued. All NEW model recorders will only be supported by Nero 6.

Or do you mean that Nero 5.5 will not even see your old model recorder that it used to work fine with?

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

6. roonsa

roonsa Member

Thanks for the feedback devilhunt and Craig. I updated Nero to version 5.5.10.56 via the hyperlink that devilhunt provided. Still the recorder is not detected by Nero.

I'm guessing that what you're saying, Craig, with regard to Nero 5.5 not being updated for over a year is what the problem is. My CD/DVD RW is a new one, I only bought it a couple of months back. The model number is VOM-12E48X if that means anything to you.

It looks as though I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Nero 6 which I'm not really happy about because I was happy with 5.5. However, if that's the way things work I guess I'll just have to take the hit on this one.

Again, thanks for the feedback everyone.

7. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Roonsa,

Yes, sorry. But at some point we just have to stop supporting old technology. We are strechted thin as it is with all the features of Nero 6, and it would be too much to continue supporting Nero 5.5 indefinately. :-(

But I would highly recommend downloading the Nero 6 Demo and test for a month or more before you purchase. Just so that you'll know it's capabilites before you purchase. No need to spend money if it turns out your not satisfied with the software. :)
    The Demo is a FULL working Demo, so you'll be able to test all it's abilities before purchasing.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

8. roonsa

roonsa Member

Thanks Craig. I totally understand the software support issue, as I am an Oracle Applications developer. Doesn't stop me moaning about it though!!! :) Thanks for the info, I will download the demo version.

Regards,

Paul.