1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6.1 Garbage? 4.7gb dual layer work here?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wally31, Mar 3, 2005.

1. wally31

wally31 Guest

I got a new burner and it came with Nero6.1 is it thrift store dust collector or still of use? I am guessing garbage because I tried to burn a movie and it said I needed a plug in? I was about to download decrypt v3.5 and possibly solve my problems, that sound like a cure? I read on decrypt it said it was good for 4.3 or smaller which I understand is 4.7 but does that mean 4.7 dual layer like most movies are or just one layer 4.7? I appreciate any information you give, thanks.

Wally

2. brobear

brobear Guest

You should check out the Glossary. On the media you have DVD5 (4.7GB) which in reality has a capacity of 4.37GB. Then you have the dual layer DVD9 which has a capacity of about 8.5GB. Dual layer is just what it means, the DVD9R is burned on two layers by the dual layer burner. DL is useless unless you have a DL burner. Howvever, you can burn the DVD5 on a dual layer burner. So, for new purchases, I suggest the DL. If you want freeware, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink will do the complete job. I prefer a combo of freeware and retail, but I've been at it for a while. Learn to use the Decrypter and Shrink. By the time you get good with those, you'll be grounded well enough to make smarter choices. http://www.dvdshrink.info has good beginner guides for DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. More comprehensive guides can be found at http://www.doom9.org .

DVD Shrink: http://www.dvdshrink.org

DVD Decrypter: http://www.dvddecrypter.com

AnyDVD: http://www.slysoft.com
    AnyDVD is a driver, which descrambles DVD-Movies automatically in the background. This DVD appears unprotected and region code free for all applications and the Windows operating system as well. With AnyDVD's help copy tools like CloneDVD, Pinnacle Instant Copy, InterVideo DVD-Copy, etc. are able to copy CSS protected Movies. With the help of AnyDVD you can watch movies with non matching region codes with every DVD Player Software you like! AnyDVD decrypts not just DVDs: AnyDVD allows you also to play, copy and rip protected Audio CDs!

Just threw in the AnyDVD. That should be one of the first retail apps you look at. They have a 21 day trial. I'd suggest trying it out. It works great with decrypter for breaking the newer encryption systems.

3. wally31

wally31 Guest

Thanks for the direction brobear. I appreciate it. I am going to check those out and do some homework for a while.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome. BTW, the Nero Ultra is superior to the OEM Nero. Check out the complete program on the Nero site. I have Nero and use it and with the full program, I don't worry about codecs.

5. bwbeye

bwbeye Member

Can you tell me why Nero Ultra is superior to Nero OEM?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Content of Nero 6 Ultra Edition Major Update –
    Version 6.6 Free Trial Version:

Nero StartSmart 2
    Nero Express 6
    Nero BackItUp
    Nero SoundTrax
    Nero Image Drive
    Nero Burning ROM 6
    Nero Cover Designer
    Nero Wave Editor
    Nero Toolkit
    NeroVision Express 3
    Nero Recode 2
    Nero ShowTime 2
    Nero PhotoSnap
    Nero MediaHome
    NeroMIX

You should check out the Nero site on the net. Ultra has more programs and consequently does more than most OEM packages. Compare the above content to what you have. Nero burning ROM 6, NeroVision Express 3, Nero Recode 2, Nero ShowTime 2, and Nero Image Drive (for loading ISO images) are the handiest apps for those doing DVD backups. How many of those does your OEM pack have? By the way, you may be able to update what you do have from the Nero site. With the Ultra you get the plugins needed to do all the sound and video as needed. The OEMs tend to leave you needing a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005
  7. wally31

wally31 Guest

Thanks again brobear. I will try the new version. i downloaded DVD Decrypter from afterdawn.com and have been playing with it but I keep getting I/O errors. I am going to try something else.

8. wally31

wally31 Guest

I am sorry not downloaded from afetrdawn downloaded from doom9.net

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

what is the plugin for nero that it asked for?

what was your procedure for ripping and burning? as much info as poss!

I/O error - what was it? copy and paste DD'slog file here!

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Rotary,
    The lesser versions of Nero often require the Dolby sound plugins to record the full DVD sound content. That was one of my early experiences with Nero. I'd like to see that DVD Decrypter log file as well. DVD Decrypter is the best ripper/decrypter I've seen. The only thing comparable is ripping with Shrink while AnyDVD is doing the decrypting. I suspect Wally31 is doing something wrong.

Just to be on the safe side I'll add an additional question. Is the movie being used for the project a factory DVD ROM movie or one acquired elsewhere?

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

even with the new nero (download) 6608 you can get more serials to load, with ultra or enterprise...

HE-ACC
    MPEG2/SVCD
    MPEG/DVD
    Multichannel
    Dolby 5.1
    Nero digital Unirversal
    MP3 Pro
    MP3
    Windows Media Player
    Parental Control
    BackITup

all load to help tab on older versions...

WMA Plug-in for free from nero site!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  12. brobear

brobear Guest

Rotary,
    The Ultra has a bunch of that. BackItUp is included, as is the Dolby plugin. The Enterprise version was what I started with and I tired of needing plugins, so I just got the full Ultra package. NeroVision Express 3 along with Recode2 have the necessary conversion tools for dealing with SVCD and the like. Nero Ultra is probably one of the most complete recording suites I've come across. I like my CopyToDVD, but for sheer content and ability to do a lot of tasks, Nero Ultra seems to have the others beat.

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

is the nero download ultra or enterprise? at 30meg? package 1

i'm confused? if i got to nero site and get all downloads what version will i have?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  14. ppiper

ppiper Member

WALLY i just installed a nero 6 oem with a ben Q dvd writer on a friends pc and i had alot of problems UNTIL I UPDATED IT to the latest version of nero ,try it update it and if i dont work get nero cleaning tool from their site install/reinstall. the nero 6 oem im working with showtime doesnt work or burning rom(it was made that way). nero xpress, recode and nero vison express all work. OEMS r limited not fully functional if u have the money get ultra and nero 6 oem CAN BE UPDATED.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

The trial doesn't have InCD. But then, anyone doing DVD video recording doesn't want the packet writing software. From what I can tell, the trial is close to the Ultra. The Enterprise I had didn't have the Recode2 and some of the other features. Currently, it appears Nero is offering 3 OEM packs, none as complete as Ultra. ftp://ftp6.nero.com/press/datasheets/DS_Nero_OEM_eng.pdf (opens with Adobe Reader)
    I copied this from the Nero site; Nero 6 Ultra Edition Major Update – Version 6.6 consists of three packages. http://ww2.nero.com/us/neroue-prog.php_ Once you hit downloads, you'll find it is 3 separate packages. Also, if one wants the PhotoShow, they can download the trial for that separately.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2005
  16. bwbeye

bwbeye Member

Does anyone have any idea why the 6.6.0.8 update download stalls and eventually stops at 65%?, I've tried may sites ant various times with the same results... any ideas?, or where can I go for a successful download?

17. ppiper

ppiper Member

i wouldnt use a nero update unless its directly from their site and if it works good i wouldnt update it alot of their updates r for dvd/cd drives and u have nero 6.6 already. i always saw if it aint broke then dont fix it

18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

nero is your friend!

ftp://ftp2.de.nero.com/Nero-6.6.0.8.exe

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Some of the updates actually include new programs and in other cases update software to work with current equipment, as was the case with dual layer recording. So, one should at least check the Nero site occasionally to see what has changed and is available.

20. bwbeye

bwbeye Member

So now I use Rotary's link to Nero's website and it stalls/stops at 25%? is Nero's download site still being slammed? I don't think I've ever had this problem before.