1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6.3.0 problem...anyone else?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by golfpro77, Mar 18, 2004.

1. golfpro77

golfpro77 Guest

I have resorted back to using nero 5.5.10.42.
    Nero 6.3.0 will stop burning (freeze) at about 17% everytime,if my hard drive needs defragged; thereby creating a useless piece of plastic. If I defrag after every burn no problem. Anyone else having this problem?

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

Can't say that I've run across that problem w/ Nero 6.3.x. I have three Maxtor 120Gig HDs and one 160Gig HD in this computer. I use Nero daily - either burning DVDs or CDs.

Do you have Norton Systemworks installed?

RWG

3. golfpro77

golfpro77 Guest

no I am not running norton systemworks.
    Initially I did not know what was causing the
    burning to "freeze". Did some research and found
    out I should defrag. I took a look at both of my
    hard drives and both needed defragged badly.

I did that and everything burned fine. The very next
    DVD I attempted to burn froze. I had to defrag again.

Is there a deeper problem with the hard drive needing to be defragged constantly? (Guess just thinking out loud).

Nero 5.5 just seems to ignore the constantly need to defrag.

Thanks for the help though.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

5. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

I reality you do not need to defrag 'all the time' unless you move, add and delete huge amounts of data. I would assume that for typical user once-a-month affair should be just enough. Of course if you have a fairly small hard drive (less than, lets say, 10GB) or very little free space that problem might be magnified.

In your case I would look at all the processes running in the background (especially if you have older machine) as those can interrupt with software relying heavily on steady stream of data. Anything is suspect here (including antivirus soft). Of course all the malware doesn't help so scan for viruses.

Last but not least I would take a look at the Preferences (in Nero) and bump up Cache size and Ultrabuffer size. Burning at slower speed might also help. And lastly - some, usually older drives feature larger on-drive buffers (8MB vs typical 2MB) - that might help too.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

7. BrownAcid

BrownAcid Guest

Once I had a Mitsumi CDRW 4X, and when I instaled the service pack 1 for windows XP I got the same problem. I tried Defragmentation, I formated my hard and put again windows XP with SP1 and the same problem happened. Try uninstaling SP1, It worked fine than to me. C`ya.

8. golfpro77

golfpro77 Guest

thanks for all who responded......but I have not had any problems since installing nero 5.5.

kind of weird........