1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6.6 Reloaded won't copy disc 'on the fly'

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by agent-k, Oct 30, 2004.

1. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I downloaded the latest updates for nero 6.6 reloaded and it won't copy dvds on-the-fly.
    I also installed it in the new pc that I built today and it won't do it on that either.
    I remember having this problem about 8 months ago on Nero 6.3 and the next update cured it.
    Anyone else having this problem? and if you managed to fix please tell me how.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Most people will tell you that copying on the fly is very risky! If you can avoid it, do.

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Thanks pulsar, I know the risks.
    But I still want it to work.

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I used to be able to copy on the fly with Nero 5 but strangely this became difficult with Nero 6. It doesn't bother me because, as Pulsar has said, copying on the fly is inherantly risky. To improve the success rate make sure both your optical drives are on different IDE cables and that DMA is enabled on both drives.

5. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Guys, I appreciate your help.
    I built my pc myself, I know abot DMA and PIO and all the rest of it.
    The problem is Nero itself, I'm sure the next update will cure it, I was just wondering if anybody had a fix for it in the meantime.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

As mentioned I gave up burning on-the-fly with Nero, but have just changed around my IDE cables and updated to 6.0.0.1 and it works for me now.

7. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Ok guys,
    I removed nero 6.6 with Nero clean tool, downgraded to Nero 6.3 and everything is working fine again, including on-the-fly copying.
    Think I'll leave this version in for a while until Nero get their act together.

8. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

LMFAO @ agent-k
    Silly little tart.... you should've known better. All I can say is complain to Ahead.

9. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

hahahaha,

How do you know I'm a tart?
    Complain to Ahead?
    Like thats going to get me anywhere.
    I use Nero all the time, I like the whole package but they don't half cock things up occasionally.

agent-tart

10. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

OK I don't know that you're a tart. It's the first thing that popped in my head. But I would think that you should've known the responses that you would get. And just maybe complaining to Ahead might (not) get the issue resolved in next months update.

11. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

12. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

hahaha you found me out,

Nice bit of detective work Zippyd

Come on over to the irc channel where there will be more talk of tarts.

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

OK then, what are the advantages of recording on the fly? I am guessing that it is a lot quicker. Hmmmm. Furthermore, I guess it is the transfer of info from disc to disc etc. Therefore is it the transferring that is difficult bit, to prevent errors etc? Would a large enough buffer help the problem, as possibly would 2 identical drives? This is an interesting one. I guess also that having any other process running in the background could cause probs. XP is notorious for using memory just to keep it going.

14. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

No need to guess pulsar, you are right, recording on the fly is quicker.
    There is no other real advantage.
    My whole point of this thread was to find out if anyone else had the same problem as me and how they cured it.
    My reason for wanting it cured is that I use nero all the time and I want it all to work properly, regardless of whether some people have had a bad experience or not.
    I for one don't use it very often, but when I have it has worked well as I check the discs first to make sure they are clean and scratch free.
    If I think there is a risk of failure then I run it to the hard drive first.

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I too like a challenge, I have never copied on the fly, mostly down to the advice from here & I apologise for the stock "don't burn on the fly" answer. But I will try it & to see what happens, nothing ventured nothing gained! I use nero & alcohol for copying copies. I must say that I have had fewer issues with alcohol. But then again nero has backed up dvds that alcohol wouldn't, & vice-versa.
    Kind Regards,
    Pulsar.
    PS good thread, not the usual!
    PPS I prefer a cream doughnut to a tart anyday!!

16. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I have spoken to Craig (from Ahead, makers of Nero) and they are aware of problems with Nero 6.6 and Ritek GO4's.
    They are working on a bug fix for it.
    That will cure my problem.

Yay!,,at last.

17. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

I hate to say this..... (okay really I'm enjoying the hell out of it), but I told you so.

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

OK, it's a little down the road, but I have just burnt I Robot on the fly with nero encode2, seems to work OK. It took 27mins in total. If this continues to work I will start to like nero encode!

19. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I went back to an old version of Nero and copied loads of dvds on-the-fly. Upgraded to this months updates and it won't work again.

Aaaaarrrgghh.

20. TDY

TDY Member

Here is what's happening to the 6.6.0.3 version
    "Hi TDY,

Unfortunately, we did not find the cause of this issue till after we had already posted our current versions on Dec 3rd.

I'm checking to see if we can provide a quick patch for those who need it, or if we'll have to provide a whole new build. If its a new build, we will more than likely wait till end of the month to post a solution. We can not post a new release for every bug found. That would eat up our resources.

If it was a Major bug, then we would of course do so. But this is only affected by some DVD-ROM drives, and those users can still use the Recorder as both Source and Destination, or write to Hard Drive as an Image first, and then burn. So there are work arounds.

Reards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA "
    This sucks......................................

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005