1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 and DVD Decrypter... DVD Playback problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dennishp, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Dennishp

Dennishp Member

I've been trying various things for the past 6 hours..and finally...I will ask for some advice :)

Have a DVD movie 4.4GB, no copyguard..I want to back up to another DVD. I am using Win98 so I can't do the ISO file...too big.

Here is what I did...ran DVD Decrypter in file mode to extract the info on the movie DVD into a directory on my HD. It ran fine and the Files extracted matched the ones on the movies DVD.

Opened Nero 6 Ultra....Burning ROM (not Express).
    ISO Tab = ISO Level 1
    ISO 9660 deselected Joliet
    UDF Tab = Physical Part
    UDF 1.02
    Label = Name of Movie
    Burn Tab = write and the speed is selected for me a X2.4..no choice to lower the speed

created the two folders and copies all the files into the VIDEO_TS

Burned DVD

Movie played on the HP DVD drive..but would not forward to chapters..and If I used the slide on Power DVD to advance movie...I get an error about a damaged disk. Cannot select chapters using the menus...always starts at the beginning....will not allow me to resume where I left off...starts at the beginning. DVD will not play on my Pioneer 525 or my Cheapie Apex..which usually plays everything. It's pretty much a "coaster"..and I did everything like the tutorial's suggested.

Did I do something wrong...any recommendations?

Looked at all the tutorials for Nero..but all I've found are for version 5..no Nero 6's...but I did follow the same settings as shown for ver. 5 when I set up mine for the burn.

Using Maxell DVD+R blanks (up to 4X)

I'm figuring..it could be a bad DVD Blank, or compatabilty issues with Nero 6 and my DVD burner (HP 210i) and my other Stand alone players, or I "fat-fingered" something, or I should have done something more to the movie files before I burned them (didn't think that running them through DVD Shrink would accomplish anything as the movie already small enough to fit on DVD) OR something else caused the problem that I can't even imagine yet.

I've only burned one other DVD prior to this attempt..and I did that DVD using DVD Decrypter in the ISO format (file was 3.5GB). Result was perfect.

Anyone have a recommendation or suggestion?
    I have such a headache now...lol

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

First of all, 4.4gb is too big for a blank dvd(only 4.37gb). Use dvdshrink to rip and shrink the movie a little. Then use nero and make a dvd video. Drag all the files from dvdshrink into the video_ts folder in nero and burn.

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

4. Dennishp

Dennishp Member

Sly..what I meant to type was the DVD size was 4.4 billion bytes (4,404,641 bytes)which does fit on to one DVD..I checked it in DVD Shrink (showed something like 4.133GB...greenbar with some white left at the end) before I proceeded with the burn (I did not manipulate the files in DVD Shrink..just verified the size).

Herbsman, - I did use that choice in Nero 6..after selecting new compiliation..I scrolled down and selected DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO). Then continued with the settings. The only questionable setting may have been under the ISO tab...I selected ISO Level 1..maybe I should have selected ISO Level 2..yes?

As footnote to this...I did try and read the DVD that I created (the one that doesn't play properly) using DVD Shrink...the movie folder did not appear in the DVD Shrink window (Beta ver. 3.05).

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Ok, size is correct. What movie is it? Is the disc scratched or dirty? Does the original play fine?

6. Dennishp

Dennishp Member

The movie is called "Cheyenne"..very low budget independent DVD. No copyprotection on the DVD. The DVD is brand new..got it as a promotional give away and was using it to test my ability to back up DVD's using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. I figured if I somehow did something to damage the original..I'd be out nothing. Great test bed.

Original DVD Plays fine.
    Copied movie files play fine off the HD.

When files copied to a DVD....problems as listed in previous post occur.

I'm thinking that perhaps because the movie uses most of the DVD..that perhaps there are erros near the edge of the Blank disk causing this problem.

If I were to move all these files into DVD Shrink..and re-author then to delete some of the additonal content (Screen bio's, Trailers, etc)...maybe the content wouldn't write all the way to the edge of the blank DVD.

Sound reasonable?

One question about DVD Shrink Beta 3.05 ,,,when the re-author window appears...and I drag the movie folder there...can I drang the extras and menus there also..then edit the entire content? The reason I ask..I was wondering of the "order" in which those files are dropped into shrink or the way they will be written to the blank DVD..will make a difference in the way the back up plays (or not play).

Thanks for the help :)

7. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

I'm having problems with Nero 6 too. When I downloaded the demo, it burned just fine. After I purchased a key, it will burn so I can play on my Apex, but it will no longer play on anyone elses system.

8. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Record Now Max!

9. Dennishp

Dennishp Member

A continuation to my recording story.

I decided to try and copy the files off of the DVD that I created (which didn't operate properly) back on to my HD and try and play the movie from there.

Well..to my amazement the movie plays flawlessly using the same files I copied off the DVD that didn't work.

So much for my idea that files or data got corrupted during the burn.

Any ideas? Could the Blank DVD I used have a flaw the precludes playback..but still allows the data to be copied correctly?

This one has me stumped.

I was really hoping my first attempts at creating a DVD would be successful...so I'd have some confidence that I can do it.
    Whe you crash and burn on your first attempts at it...you start to question what the problem is.

Thanks to anyone who responds :)