1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NERO 6 Buffer Problems - I Will Pay You If You Can Help Me Fix This. *Yea Right!!*

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by lannigan, Sep 6, 2004.

1. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

Ok, so Im gonna take a shot at this and hope somebody has a fix before I drop ahead software forever from my programs list. I have checked google and every forum on here so if somebody knows how to fix this, i'll drop you $50.

It is taking me 15 minutes to burn one 8x disc. Unacceptable.

I am burning RITEK 8X discs. I have a defragged 160 gig drive filled with dvd-r's, 7200 rpm WD, 8mb cache. I am using updated firmware and drivers. I have all of my critical updates. I have changed the data mode from PIO to DMA And Back again. I have uninstalled, reinstalled Nero, windows, everyhting. I have put over a gig of ram in my computer (2.8HT)

So tell me what the hell am I doing wrong. My drive is a NEC 2500, supposed to be a really good drive. Nero tells me I should be burning discs in 7 minutes. What is going on?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  3. ascii

ascii Member

What ever your chipset on mainboard is, make sure that you follow the instrcuctions for the order in which you should install the chipset drivers.
    In my case i always do this in this order.

eg: a couple of my computers use the via kt400 chipset, so i install the via (hyperion drivers first) let that install and enable DMA mode in the installation. Don't use the turbo mode if it offers it, and get the latest version if you can.

Then i install directx, then the gfx card driver.
    then when you have installed your operating system, check device manager, and then untick use auto insert notification, and tick enable DMA, IT should already be ticked though.
    Check your bios to make sure dma is on as well, and when it boots.

Use an 80 wire ide cable, and connect the drive to the secodary IDE as a Master device.

Try ripping a dvd-5 (single layer disc using dvddecrypter in Read Iso mode) then using the 8* media you have Write the iso.

See what speed it says it is burning at.
    If it says 8* then great, then go ahead and try nero again.
    If it says 4x, go 2 ways, change the dirve to a Slave on the primary ide and try the same. If it still only burns at 4*, then your other 2 options are, put the drive as slave on the secondary ide, (probs give you the same result though), and most importantly I would buy a different brand with different dye (like the datawrite 8* classic that uses fuji dye [Manufacturer ID: FUJIFILM03] and give that a try. If you find that you can write to the fuji, then it is the ritek 8* disc giving you the problem.
    If your writer still decides to write, these at 4 * then you should consider the possibilty that the drive needs to be returned, or that you have been unlucky in picking 2 different brands that your writer will only allow 4*

If you have some sort of intel util for drive caching etc, then turn that of as well.

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

A copy of the Nero log file, edited to remove the Nero Serail key, would go a long way in helping us to see what is going on, and hopfully providing a solution.

I assume you have an Internal IDE drive? Are you using 40pin or 80pin IDE cables? Many users have found changing to 80pin IDE cables have dramaticly improved their systems performance for all their high end IDE Devices.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

5. iatik

iatik Guest

Your drive could be failing. Had a similar prob with the buffer, jumped through hoops just like you, went so far as to FDisk the entire HD and start over.

After all that, swapped out the drive (NEC) and voila, it turned out to be the the DVD drive. Before you dump Ahead (it works perfectly now), check the drive itself.

BTW, the suggestion of providing the Nero log is also important and that your drive is on their hardware list. For some of my newer drives I had to wait for them to update their HCL.

Good luck....

6. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

Guys, thanks for all your quick responses. I like nero and have never had problems woith it before.

I am going to try changing the ide cable to 80 pin. The hard drive is bran spankin new so its not the drive. I even disabled file and folder compression on the drive. I can'tfind an option to print a log file.

Initaially this drive was in a USB enclosure but I removed it, flashed it, and put it in a tower thinking that it was the slow USB connection. Usb tranfers a 12mbps which exceeds the 11,080kb/s that nero should be writing at.

However, even when in a tower it was still doing the same thing. Is it possible the firmware was bad? I have a NEC 2500A, the new firmware made it dual layer compatible.

I'e gotsomework to do I'lllet you all know how it turns out. Somebody's gonna be $50 richer.

I'm such a liar!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  7. Mr.E

Mr.E Member

Make sure when you replace the cable that you use one that is no longer than 45cm (18 inches) as data transfer integrity can drop off with longer cables. I assume that the IDE controller you have the burner connected is greater than ATA66 and the correct drivers are installed for your IDE chipset.

Cheers

8. Jabba2004

Jabba2004 Guest

I would challenge that assumption - I just recently bought a Optorite 8x drive which worked great day 1 & 2, some coasters day 3-5 and stopped recognising DVD's after that - replacement drive still working well after 3 weeks...
    (tho you are talking about the HD not the DVD).....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  9. wylds

wylds Guest

Sounds like media problems to me. As I have had the same problems with my 8X drive and Ritek 8X media. So now I burn at 6 X and am happy.

10. JimMrBass

JimMrBass Member

This problem could very well be a bad flash and if the flash is not right then the drive will never burn at 8x. What flash are you using. Tell us this and maybe we can help

11. TDY

TDY Member

My Pioneer 107d burner dose a copy at 8x in 10 min although Nero says 7-8 mins on the burn,I figure its just giving me in estimate of how long it will take.I did had problems where my DMA got switched to PIO because errors were in counterd while I tried to copy a movie.The burner was burning at 2x not 8x.I hads to go into the registry to reset the DMA settings.I also use the Ritek 8x Dvd-r.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  12. kinza

kinza Regular member

I have the same drive and I have read articles about flashing the drive with NEC 2510A firmware. Is that what you did? If it is, I have never read that the firmware is successful on stand alone DVD players.

Here is an article from NEC about that firmware:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9786

Here is a forum discussion that tested the firware on the drive:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=66772&mpage=1&key=

Incase you didn't notice, the results of the DVD playing in a stand alone player are not stated & there are a lot of problems that people had when they flashed the drive.

One specific problem that is similar to yours is on the last page(12) of the second link, says that "- when I try to record my "great" Princo dvd's (1-4x) at 8x, although it allows it in the end it is actually recording at 4x (14min or so). At 6x it is fine though. "

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  13. sandman99

sandman99 Member

i realise this message is a few weeks old now, but ive just encountered the same problems, at least i think it is.

is your READ BUFFER droping to arround 50% every 30 secs or so, as i noticed that you mentioned buffer in the post title but not in the post itself .... ok ok i'll get on with it.

did you have alcohol 120% installed at anypoint in time, have you recently uninstalled it ?

if you have then i sugest you reinstall it, as it seems that the uninstall takes out some stuff that nero requires to run, and simply reinstalling nero does not fix this (i tried it about a dozen times) you might also need to update nero, as i was gettin some strange errors afterwards, discs burned ok, just a strange message at the end of burn, cant remember what it was off the top of my head ....

anyway, try reinstalling, or even installing alcohol120% and see how you get on

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

lannigan,
    You said you flashed your burner with the new firmware and it made the drive dual layer? This drive is not a dual layer drive so I am assuming you flashed the wrong firmware. I could be wrong but I don't believe you can simply flash your drive and make it a dual layer DVD any help here please..
    I have that same drive with the newest firmware installed and it is not a dual layer DVDR. I also have the 3500A which is dual layer. Here is the sight for the correct firmware for your drive http://support.necsam.com/oem/downloads/flashfirmware/readme.asp?ID=4
    If I am wron somebody please let me know, but I have flashed my 2500A and it is not DL.

Thanks