1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 burning rom / DVD encoding problems

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Paul_oz53, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Paul_oz53

Paul_oz53 Member

I loved NERO 5.5 but decided it was time to upgrade to 6.3. The two problems I have are:

I seem unable to access Nero burning rom at all. It was there when I first installed but since opening Nero express I cannot get back to the classic interface that I know and love. Is there some command line switch or other simple way to swap between the two interfaces?

Second, when I take an mpeg-2 file recorded from my visionplus dtv card and attempt to convert it using Nero vision express to a 4.7GB DVD I get a serious lip-sync error where the audio appears to seriously delayed from the original mpg file. Does anyone have any clues about how to avoid or fix this problem?

Finally, Nero Showtime seems unable to play DVD's from my hard-drive. It produces an error message "Unable to play file - close any applications that may be paused...". This occurs even when the machine has been rebooted and Nero show-time is the only program that has been activated.

Thank in anticipation of your advice and tips.

Paul

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

From within Nero Express, if you click on the NERO Button in the bottom of the window, does it take you to Nero Burning ROM classic look window? If not, then the serial key you used to install Nero may be an OEM serial key. Did you purchase it off the web? From a Retail store? Or did it come with your Recorder?

As for the audio/video sync issue, before encoding, does NVE preview window play the audio and video in sync? Does this only occur with video captured with your DTV Card? And did you caputre it with the NVE software or another?

As for Nero ShowTime not playing from the Hard Drive. I have 'The Whole Ten Yards' on my Hard Drive and have no trouble using Nero ShowTimes "Play from Folder" optoin to select the Video_TS folder containing the VOB files and playing. The strange thing is I have had one othe customer report this, but I am not able to duplicate it. There must be a factor involved that we are not aware of.

Regards,

Craig

3. Paul_oz53

Paul_oz53 Member

Craig,

Thanks for your reply. I rather suspected that the version might explain the first problem. The software key came with the pioneer recorder DVR-107D I purchased at a computer fair. If I have to upgrade from an oem version then that's what I'll do.

The Vision DTV card saves a hardware encoded mpg2 file directly to the hard-drive using its own software. That's the source. When I play the source mpg with any video player software (mainly PowerDVD)the sound sync is OK. NVE does not detect my digital tuner, only the analogue tuner but it produces a warning that an outdated dll is detected and closes. I am about to ditch the analogue tuner so I haven't worried about investigating that aspect any further.

In the NVE preview window the sound is delayed about 1 second and also in the encoded DVD. The effect appears constant through the entire video. The source mpg is 720x576 16:9 PAL.

I have used Ulead movie factory and Adobe EncoreDVD to encode DVD's from these mpgs but I get the same lip-sync problem (delayed audio) each time. I have tried the demo version of PowerDirector Pro and with small files it appears to work OK so I may be forced to upgrade to Power Director Pro instead of NERO if I cannot get NERO to work.:-(

Still, I would rather just use NERO and forget the rest if I can.

Re: Showtime - it will play an individual VOB or mpg but not an IFO file. I suspect that it may be because of conflicts between codecs because I have both Cyberlink Power DVD 5.0 installed and Ulead DVD player as well as the DivX 5 player. Ulead was working OK until a week ago but suddenly started producing scrambled video akin to the loss of horizontal hold on a TV. (This occurred before I installed NERO).

The particular movie is "Rising Sun" and also a home-made DVD of episodes of "Yes Minister" recorded on a Liteon DVD recorder.

Thanks once more for your interest Craig.

Best regards, Paul

PS: I have been connecting the Liteon DVD recorder to my computer and recording DVD's by playing the mpg with Power DVD set to full screen. This has been a passable alternative to digitally transcoding the mpg but I would still prefer to sort out the issue with NERO if that is possible.

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

We have seen issues with our NVE and capture devices that do their own hardware Encoding when capturing.

The only way we can resolve this is by obtaining the capture device and modifying our software to support it. For example, the ADS capture devices, which we are currenlty working on, and the Plextor ConvertX devices.

I'll need to add yours to the list and have our Engineers obtain it. And then we'll need to contact the MFG and obtain their SDK. All in all, it will not be a quick process when it comes to needing an SDK. :-(

We will work on it, but I do not know when it would be supported and I can not expect you to wait on us.

Regards,

Craig

5. Paul_oz53

Paul_oz53 Member

Craig,

If I just keep upgrading perhaps one day it will be OK!

Your direct interest in supporting the forum is invaluable and is one of the things that makes NERO the best software in its class. Thanks yet again for the advice.

Paul

6. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

I come here to help and to learn. Even though I've been in the Recorder business since the very first PC recorder hit the market, I am still learning. There is always something new someone digs up that I have never heard of or tried. :)

Forums like this and the people who participate in it is really priceless. You can't pay for this kind of thorough testing, even if you have money to burn like Microsoft. :)

Regards,

Craig

7. leebee

leebee Member

Recently I used Nero Vision Express 2 to burn a DVD-R disc using multiple MPEG2 files. These files were derived from DVD VOB files that were stored on my hard drive. The finished DVD had audio and video sync problems with the audio preceding the video by 5 seconds. I tried tweaking the Nero settings but had no luck. I used Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 Disc Creator but had the same sync problems. I read somewhere to try the new TMPGEnc DVD Author version 1.6. This product worked like a charm. Perfect conversion of multiple MPEG2 files into a bootable DVD format
    stored first on the hard drive. Then a perfect burn onto DVD-R discs. The finished disc played back beautifully using WinDVD and Power DVD. Download a the trial copy at www.tmpgenc.com and try it yourself. This may work for you too.

8. Paul_oz53

Paul_oz53 Member

Leebee,

Thanks for the tip. Earlier I tried opening the files with TPMGenc 2.521 which simply rejected the files as "unrecognised format" so I didn't persist with TPMGEnc. You've encouraged me to try again!

Paul

9. Paul_oz53

Paul_oz53 Member

Leebee,

Success! TMPG Enc DVD Author 1.6 worked perfectly just as you suggested.

Many thanks for the tip, Paul

10. leebee

leebee Member

Paul

You're welcome for the info on TMPGEng DVD Author. Just to let you know that I ran into a snag with this program when attempting to create a bootable DVD with another set of VOB files stored on my HD. TMPGEnc DVD Author said the file formats were "illegal" or "invalid." After several tries I turned back to Nero Vision Express 2 and was able to burn a bootable DVD with no problem. Also, video and audio remained in perfect sync. Lesson learned - nothing works for everything. Keep your software options open.

11. Paul_oz53

Paul_oz53 Member

Leebie

I do get an illegal file format message from time-to-time with mpgs recorded with non-standard bit rates but TMPGEnc but the disc was still playable in my player. But I take your point - no software seems to work for situations so its very much horses-for-courses. Since I'm changing jobs and changing cities I will have to put this all to one side for a few weeks.

regards, Paul