1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 crash issues - please help

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by F154stix, May 21, 2007.

1. F154stix

F154stix Member

I've been browsing this forum in hopes of finding a solution to my problem with nero 6, but i haven't found a similar case to mine. So I figure it's safe to post?

I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition running on XP SP2, when i first installed Nero and the major updates, it worked wonderfully. now i can barely do anything but basics - burning data CD/DVD, burning images CD/DVD, audio CD. Specifically, I can't make video DVDs or picture slideshows (VCD/DVD) at all anymore. When I try to make a video DVD an error occurs or Nero stops responding all together, i can't even drag simple 58MB video file into the tray without crashing. (I use to make 3hr DVDs when Nero worked) When i try to make a picture slide show the program just stops, closes and Nero SmartStart opens up again. I've made picture slideshows before (one with multiple slideshows, about 6 i think) and now the program just seems to not want to do anything.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nero. I even used the Nero clean tool to purge my computer of Nero before I reinstalled it. I've also tried Nero 7 and the burning rom wouldn't even work. I don't even have error logs to go through, because none pop up for me to go thru.

I'm at a complete loss of what to do with Nero. I don't know if its Nero or Windows. If possible, I'd like to avoid reformatting my hard drive, or stick a new hard drive in because this would be my next solution in attempts to solve the problem.
    Thanks in advance if anyone can give me advice, it's completely appreciated~!!

-F154stix

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi F154stix
    Anything change pc wise since this problem started?

Keeping up on the pc maintenance - like disc defrag, disc cleanup, registry cleaner and virus scans?
    Here's a good free registry cleaner - ccleaner. Use the issues and cleaner options. The cleaner option does a better job a disc cleanup then the windows utility imho.
    Here's a good online virus scanner too - good to use even if your virus software shows everything ok - housecall.

Clean out the inside of the case recently?
    This may or may not help but good to do on a regular basis.

3. F154stix

F154stix Member

Yeup, I disc defrag, disc cleanup, and scan for viruses (i use trend micro already) on a weekly basis. I use registry cleaner every now and again. i have used ccleaner, but i don't notice any differences overall, it didn't help Nero. Last time I've cleaned the inside the case was back in January/February... i think.

Between now and then, I've installed program and games, ive also uninstalled programs and games. I'm always moving video files on off the computer new and old. That's why i'm thinking maybe my hard drive is finally wearing out? I dunno, Nero just kinda slowly stopped doing all the things i wanted it to be doing over time... any other ideas?

*shrug*

Thanks again~
    -F154stix

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hmm sounds like you keeping things pretty clean - good thing :)

A couple more suggestions if you haven't tried them.

Do a memory test - here's a free one MemTest. Majorgeeks also has others - some free some not.

Run a ChkDsk to check the hard drive - here's a guide if needed. This may take awhile.