1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 DVD Copy on the Fly won't work. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by disk, Mar 21, 2004.

1. disk

disk Guest

I have a Pioneer 106 burner and a Pioneer 117R reader in my PC. I'm running WinXP Home and have lots of free HD space.

I bought Nero 6 last July, and was able to burn successful DVD-R backups using on the fly with Nero 6 (and with Nero 5 before that). But for some weird reason, after several updates to Nero 6, the copy on the fly feature just won't work (since about last Nov). I currently have the latest version on Nero Burning Rom installed v6.3.1.6.

When I go to start to make the copy on the fly I immediately get an error message: "This DVD Cannot Be Copied". Most of the attempts are with discs I've made of my own home movies, etc. They are not encyrpted with copyguard protection. Also, I notice that when I go to "disc info" in the copy options area, before starting to make an on-the-fly copy, disc info says my F drive (source disc for copying) is empty. But it isn't. It has video data playable on my stand-alone players and on my PC using various programs to playback. In the copy options area before attempting to copy on the fly I see text suggesting: Data read speed 57X and audio read speed 17X.

I have tried various makes and qualities of DVD-R recorded discs, but nothing changes the fact that the disk is supposidly empty. The weird thing is that commercial movies, which are pressed not burned by me, are recognised by "disc info" -- it doesn't suggest that the disc is empty.

Here is a copy of the log file which some of you likely understand. I would greatly appreciate it if someone might be able to tell me what I can do to get Nero 6 working with copying on the fly. All other aspects of Nero seem to work correctly, without issue.

Here is the log info. Thanks for reading! Ian

Windows XP 5.1
    IA32
    WinAspi: -
    ahead WinASPI: File 'C:program FilesAheadNeroWnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.59, size=160016 bytes, created 12/16/2003 7:18:06 PM
    Nero version: 6.3.1.6
    Recorder: <PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104> Version: 1.41 - HA 1 TA 0 - 6.3.1.6
    Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 1
    Drive buffer : 2000kB
    Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ATAPI
    CD-ROM: <PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R>Version: 1.04 - HA 1 TA 1 - 6.3.1.6
    Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 1

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
    DiskPeripheral : ST380021A atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
    DiskPeripheral : WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0 atapi Port 0 ID 1 DMA: On
    CdRomPeripheral : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
    CdRomPeripheral : PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: On

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 G: CDRom0
    PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R F: CDRom1
    =======================

AutoRun : 1
    Excluded drive IDs:
    CmdQueuing : 1
    CmdNotification: 2
    WriteBufferSize: 74448896 (0) Byte
    ShowDrvBufStat : 0
    EraseSpeed : 0
    BUFE : 0
    Physical memory : 511MB (523808kB)
    Free physical memory: 303MB (310892kB)
    Memory in use : 40 %
    Uncached PFiles: 0x0
    Use Static Write Speed Table: 0
    Use Inquiry : 1
    Global Bus Type: default (0)
    Check supported media : Disabled (0)

DVD-Copy on the fly
    1:36:41 PM #1 Text 0 File Reader.cpp, Line 118
    Reader running

1:36:41 PM #2 CDCOPY -31 File DVDCopy.cpp, Line 230
    Cannot copy this disc to a DVD

Existing drivers:
    File 'DriversPXHELP20.SYS': Ver=2.02.27b, size=16000 bytes, created 9/7/2001 11:06:20 AM (Prassi/Veritas driver for win 2K)
    File 'Driversatapi.sys': Ver=5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920), size=86912 bytes, created 8/29/2002 4:27:50 AM (Adapter driver for rec)

Registry Keys:
    HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinLogonAllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  3. Discmania

Discmania Active member

It might sound too simple but I'd check that all your connections to the drives are tight and not loose. Also it usually helps not to have both drives on the same IDE cable. Have you tried copying without using the on-the-fly option?

4. disk

disk Guest

Hi, Discmania,

Only newer versions of Nero Burning Rom 6 after version 6.0.0.15 DO NOT recogised the source disk in my F drive in the DVD Copy mode -- with the exception of pressed Hollywood movies which can't be copied due to encyrption. For some reason the program will at least recognise commercially recorded discs. Even disks burned with DVDFab (using its internal burning engine) can be read and copied with newer versions of Nero Burning Rom. But any of the disks I burn myself using Nero (including discs made on other PC's etc.) aren't recognised when hitting the "Disc Info" button in the DVD Copy section of Nero Burning Rom. The message when hitting the button is "The Disc is Empty". The newest version 6.3.1.6 gives the same grief as other recent Burning Rom updates. When, however, I go back to the older version 6.0.0.15 (and earlier) the discs are recognised and the burning on-the-fly feature works perfectly -- even though I get a warning screen that the best results are when both drives are on seperate IDE cables.

I will have to check to see how one goes about putting the drives on seperate IDE cables to see if that helps.

If you have a newer version than of Nero than 6.0.0.15 installed would you mind checking to see what message you get when doing a "Disc Info." check in the DVD Copy area (the "Disc Info." button is found under the burn tab.) My Pioneer 104 burner uses DVD-R media. I'm curious to know if others are finding the same result with newer version of Nero Burning Rom.

Lastly -- Nero recognises the F drive and the media present on the disc in all other respects. I have heard that others have also had this problem, but I don't know if anyone understands why or if it can be correctly.

5. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Disk,

What happens if you place the disc you want to copy in your DVD Recorder, and use your Recorder as both source and destination? Are you then able to copy the DVD's without the error message?

If yes, then we may only need to change how we support your DVDROM drive.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I have the latest version of Nero 6 installed and have no problem with the 'disc info' box - it just lists the configuration of the disc to be copied and the source drive. You should also check in 'copy options' that your source drive is correctly selected. I don't use the on-the-fly option in any case as you are likely to get read errors at the best of times and I de-select this option. Have you tried that i.e. to copy via an image to your HD with the on-the-fly option de-selected? I don't think the problem you have will be resolved by using different IDE cables although it would help if the on-the-fly option actually worked.

7. disk

disk Guest

Thanks for the reply and your help.

I have checked that in the copy options area that the right drive is selected -- this doesn't help. Older versions of Nero Burning Rom recogised the disk content. Disk Info. seems to recognise that a disc is present -- but it says that the disc is empty, which it isn't. When I proceed to try to copy on-the-fly the message is "this disc cannot be copied". Arrrggggghhhhhh!!!! I wonder if when I replace my reader and / or my writer that the on-the-fly option might be possible. I wonder if Nero has deliberately disabled this feature for some reason. But then again, your discs burned with Nero 6 are recogised successfuly when checking "disc info". Very strange indeed. Thanks again . . . if you have any other thoughts, I'd love to hear 'em. Ian

8. BoyRacer

BoyRacer Member

I am having the same bother. I have a Pioneer 120S DVD ROM and a Pioneer 107 Burner.
    With the early version of Nero 6, I could copy from the DVD ROM on the fly no bother but now with the upgrade to 6.3.1.6 it just spits out the disk and says it's empty. Even if I turn off 'on-the-fly' it will still not read from the 120s to image file but will copy cd's either way without any problems. The drives are on seperate (ATA100) cables and work fine for every other function!
    Frustrating to say the least!

9. Discmania

Discmania Active member

10. disk

disk Guest

Thanks Discmania for the information about ForceASPI.

I have downloaded the file from the link you've provided. I used the Adaptec ASPICHK checker provided at the site which has the FoceASPI link to check how my ASPI is configured on my Windows XP PC. Here is the report it generated about my ASPI configuration:

LOG0143: *****************************************************************
    LOG0144: Starting ASPICHK installer on Tue Apr 13 23:40:31 2004
    ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.01.2600)
    UPGRADE0965: File c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll does not exist
    UPGRADE0369: No existing file to compare, upgrade recommended
    UPGRADE0965: File c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll does not exist
    UPGRADE0965: File c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys does not exist
    UPGRADE0965: File c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe does not exist
    ASPICHK0522: Inconsistent version numbers among components
    ASPICHK0592: ASPI installation has problems
    LOG0218: Closing installer log on Tue Apr 13 23:40:31 2004
    LOG0219: *****************************************************************

Is the ForceASPI upgrade for an XP system? I notice that the program has been tested on Windows 2000, NT and other versions of Windows . . . but there is no mention of XP. Do you know if I should proceed with this upgrade when I have XP?

Note: I have solved the problem of not being able to copy on the fly by replacing my DVD-ROM. Now the latest version of Nero Burning Rom will recogise data in the new DVD-ROM and allow me to copy on the fly.

Although things seem to be working okay now, I am still curious to know if I would likely benefit by installing the ForceASPI files.

Thanks again for the info!

Ian

11. BoyRacer

BoyRacer Member

Tried updating the ASPI as you suggested but no difference. Then my m8 phoned and told me to try a film on my DVD player software then run Nero as he had the same problem and this corrected it. Well.. the software would not run, so I uninstalled and re-installed it. To no avail, it still didn't work and Nero was still the same.

12. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Force aspi is safe to install on any OS. However for compatibility information I suggest you read this:

http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

If after installation there is no change then your aspi files are fine and the problem lies elsewhere. Nero must recognise both drives correctly in order to ba able to copy on the fly and you can click on 'test all drive speeds' to get Nero to recognise everything it can. You should also check that all cables are firmly attached to all drives and that each drive is on a different IDE cable. Even then copying 'on the fly' is sometimes problematic and it is always best to copy via creating an image first to your HD.

13. Manngo

Manngo Member

Hi!

Here is the same problem. I have just bought a brand new DVD-ROM drive LG GDR-8162B. I have writer LG GSA-4040B. Tryed forceaspi. Any suggestions? A warning message also appears, that the source and the taget drives are connected the same IDE cable. Separating them solves the problem?

14. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You should use different IDE cables yes. It's worth rmembering that copying on the fly is always risky anyway . Also it's not always possible to use different IDE cables. I have two hard discs in my PC which means I cannot use different IDE cables for both my disc drives because I only have two IDE sockets. I'm quite happy to copy via an image first. It takes longer but is much safer.

15. vietorisz

vietorisz Member

Hi disk, here's my advice! I've been using Nero for so very long and I know it almost inside out! Don't even bother to copy on the fly with Nero! You'll get coasters on and on! The very simple reason is that Nero does mess up its recognition of the drives when more than one drive in a system. By recognition I mean failing to read the real reading speed of the source drive and its crucial for you need double the speed of writing! Nero info tool will tell you that. Must be something to do with using nero's aspi. Whatever! Forget it! I use Alcohol 120% which ignore's the false info from the drive and force it to speed-up to the right speed when copying. Works perfectly and the GUI is also very nice. You can try it for free. Success

16. Manngo

Manngo Member

Thanks for the fast answear!
    @Discmania
    Why is it not possible to connect a HDD and a DVD drive on the same cable? I also have 2 HDD. The solution to connect the HDDs and the drives mixed would work?

@vietorisz
    Thank for the tip. I'll try alcohol. If it solves the problem, I'll say goodby to Nero.

17. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Manngo, it is possible to connect a DVD burner or ROM and a hard drive on the same cable, but it is the worst thing you can do. Connecting this way will reduce the read speed/efficiency of the hard drive to the speed, etc. of the burner.

18. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You are probably right actually if I connect one HD and one Disc drive to each of the IDE sockets. Quite honestly I can't be bothered because I don't copy on the fly anyway (except audio) and since both disc drives work perfectly there's no point in changing over.

19. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I have both HD's on IDE1 and both opticals on IDE2. I always copy on the fly with Nero 6, B's Gold, InstantCopy 8/AnyDVD and burnatonce (audio). Never had a problem and have not installed any ASPI, nor do I shut down any processes/apps.

XP Pro AMD/VIA

20. Manngo

Manngo Member

I don't uderstand, why? The speed of the cable is reduced to the speed of the slowest drive? Or the speed of the cable is shared between the 2 connected drives?