1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 killed my DVD-RW drive? Help me!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by QNine, Oct 25, 2004.

1. QNine

QNine Member

Hey guys (and ladies),

So I was using Nero the other day to backup some CDs, using the CD copy option. I have two Liteon drives, a CD-RW/DVD (Lite-On Combo SOHC-5232K) and a Liteon DVD-RW drive (Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-H32S). As I was copying the discs, the program seemed to freeze. I couldn't get it to unfreeze so I force closed it since it was completely locked up. After that, two things happened. First, the original disc I was copying (not a burned disc, a retail disc) wouldn't read in either drive. It was as if it had been erased or something. Second, the DVD-RW drive stopped working completely. I restarted and the computer made a crazy beeping sound through all of startup. I tried to trouble shoot the problem but nothing worked. The disc still didin't work in either drive, and while the CD/DVD drive was fine, the DVD-RW drive won't recognize any disc I put in it. The computer thinks the drive is working fine (it lists it as "Working as intended" or something like that) so I don't know what to do. Did Nero erase my retail disc (damn expensive one too) and kill my DVD-RW drive? I need some help BAD. Thanks!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The first troubleshooting move would be to unistall both drives through Device Manager. Try this:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

If this doesn't help I'd try the drives in another PC in order to determine whether it's the drives themselves or your system.

3. rjcpq886

rjcpq886 Member

Hey QNine --
    Did that help? There was no follow-up reply, either way? Curious -- because the same thing happened to me, in a sense; my Sony DRU500AX (DVD-rewritable) stopped recognizing DVD-blank or commercial media discs. Now, it only functions as a recordable CD-burner (reads/writes to CD-R's) -- and Sony Technical Support was no help! (ugh!) I did the steps outlined, but didn't work. Finally, I took a spare hard drive, reinstalled a fresh copy of WinXP Pro - and attached the subject drive; still didn't work? I'll never know what happened to cause this? Still a mystery, because it was working fine before, and never had the 'lock-up' you mentioned, prior to it not working!